Dowell Elementary School

Public | PK-5

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted June 23, 2014

We have two children at Dowell. One going into 3rd grade and the other going into 1st grade. They have both had wonderful, caring teachers. All the teachers at Dowell seem very committed to the kids. After reading some of the other reviews I want to comment that yes, there is a lot of homework, but this is no different than at other schools. As parents, we know that we have to be involved... Whether it is helping our children with their homework or volunteering at school. This way, I am aware of what my children are doing and learning at school. Dowell is a very diverse school for the demographics of the children, but this has not been a problem with the learning environment in the classroom. I highly recommend Dowell Elementary.

Posted August 2, 2013

I have a 4 grader attending Dowell Elementary. My child teacher last year, 2012 - 2013, was terrible.

Posted June 27, 2013

Dowell has a great learning environment and is a safe school overall. My son graduated from Dowell and now my daughter attends. They both had wonderful experiences. The teacher are very committed to helping their students learn.

Posted June 25, 2013

I agree this school gives homework so the parents can teach the kids for them. The kids have no clue how to do it and they give you nothing to go on. Worst school ever!My child is going to forth grade and has had 1 yes 1 good teacher. Very low quality teachers! They are very rude, unhelpful, and childlike!

Posted November 29, 2012

Very little thought is given when assigned homework. It's printed out from the internet, copied, and send home, apparently without reviewing it. I've found several mistakes. In addition, very little communication is given as to what is being covered in the classroom.

Posted August 16, 2012

I have 3 kids. One has now moved to middle school and the other 2 are still going to Dowell. This school has been great for all three of them. The principal is very good. She is always able to speak directly to me if needed. The PTA is very involved and devoted. I also have had wonderful teachers. One of my kids has ADHD and they are very supportive. He has done great. I have had a total of 6 years with this school. I would say things were good before the new principal but, are wonderful now. I feel as a paret she brought more order and the kids still get the fun feel however.

Posted May 17, 2011

My son has attended this school pre-k and all 5 years and I find this school to be outstanding the teachers and staff speech teachers ect... are off the chart! Counselors who care and treat the children with respect. We will miss this school and to me it is the best school in the area...So Thanks so much for all you do... AT a parent

Posted May 25, 2010

My son's kindergarten year was wonderful, both for him and myself. I was very concerned about how he would handle his first year, but I needn't have worried. His teachers were great, their care for my son was genuine and he grew tremendously both socially and emotionally in this nurturing environment. For those who say they never saw the principal, it is very hard to believe. at least three time a week she greeted students as they entered the building, she was always available if I had a concern. The teachers I met on a daily basis were always welcoming, approachable and professional. I am very proud of Dowell Elementary and hope the hard work the teachers and staff have put forth will reflect in their students. Well done and keep up the good work.

Posted May 2, 2010

I give this school a five-star rating. Our son is currently in Kindergarten at Dowell Elementary. There are two teachers for 17 students! They are both excellent! Our son's reading level went from not being able to read to a third grade level in just the first few months of school. His teachers brought in help from the higher grades so our son continued to be challenged in reading. I love their open door policy. We are always welcome into the classroom and my husband has been involved in the 3D All Pro Dad's program. He was spent several full days up at the school helping out in the classroom. I love the teaching methods - hands on and they work in teams. They even have computer lab time! They cover an extensive amount of work in Kindergarten: reading, math, social sciences, health, etc.. They get a five-star rating from me.

Posted April 30, 2010

I think Dowell is one of the best schools that I have encountered. What other school teachers devote their saturdays to help the children with reading and math. Yes their is a language barrier, but I commend the teachers for going the extra mile to help the students bring up their grades. My son only speaks English and he gets just as much attention and care as all the students. Thank you staff fo spending so much time for making sure he has a great experience.

Posted April 30, 2010

One of the worst elementary schools in Cobb county. I've had two children to go to this school and I've had to 'come up there' to the school to address the principle about a teachers conduct. We moved to Kennesaw and believe me when I tell you that there is a HUGE difference in the total learning experience. We're in the process of moving into a new home in this same area. We see no other choice but to send our 5th grader to a private school.

Posted April 29, 2010

We are very happy with Dowell Elem. Our Kindergarden age child is doing extremely well and loves the school. His progress during this year has been great and looking forward to next year. I have visited the school many times and find the campus clean and safe, the staff friendly and capable. And the students all seem to like being there.

Posted April 28, 2010

I agree with the parent below, Dowell has its strengths and its weaknesses in all areas. I can honestly say that I have also encountered both competent and uncompetent teachers at Dowell, but I find the administration to be almost none existent. I have never seen the principal, ever....I've had problems in several areas and she was never available. That's one of the many reasons why I've enrolled my child in private school next year.

Posted April 28, 2010

Dowell is a wonderful school. I have been a parent at Dowell for 7 years and have always had teachers excited about educating. The administration is friendly and approachable. I feel my children have learned in a warm and inviting environment. Both of my children have always done well on the standardized tests and rank above the state averages. I do feel that more parent involvement is key and that your child does more when you do more. Get there and get involved!!

Posted April 28, 2010

I have a daughter in Kindergarten, and I have been thoroughly impressed at the outstanding instructional support she has received at Dowell. She has been pushed all year, even though she had mastered the Kindergarten curriculum prior to the Christmas break. She has a very dedicated and talented teacher, and the support staff is equally distinguished. The administration is visable, responsive, and talented as well, and I have nothing bad to say. This is a great school in a great school system.

Posted April 28, 2010

Last year we had a great Kindergarten teachers and students. Now in first grade my daughter has an awesome teacher and our group of kids and parents are wonderful. Yes, there are little things that can be changed, The doors are always open for me to volunteer and the staff are always ready to listen when I need. We have a long away to go at Dowell, but right now I give to our school 4 stars. Way to go Dowell elementary.

Posted April 28, 2010

I think it need to be a 21st century school, which is not right now. Parents should follow their kids success online, which can't be done right now.

Posted April 28, 2010

My grandchildren have been attending Dowell since 2005. I have found the teachers to be extremely helpful as I'm raising these children and this was a new beginning for me as well as them. The teachers and counselors keep me informed on things that I should know but didn't. They have made this transition a very smooth one for me and my grandchildren. I would truly have to say in my opinion, this school is the best. I have had nothing but plesant experiences since 2005. But in all honesty, I did encounter 1 (one) teacher that I thought needed to seek another profession. She is a 4th grade teacher and unfortunately she is still there. But my overall experience is wonderful! Thanks Dowell you're the best!

Posted April 28, 2010

For parents that are involved this staff is the best. You need to get to know more than your teacher! The whole staff is extremely supportive. I have both a gifted child and a special education child. I don' t know what I would have done without the help and insight I have received over the years here.

Posted April 28, 2010

I have two kids in dowell. I am happy with the PTA but, really feel something is lacking in this school with staff. I can not say my kids are doing there best when they do great one year a horrible the next ,are getting the correct teaching. Staff is very cold and don't really act as if they care about you or your child. Again, not all staff but, most. Also, all the extra activites are way over priced here! However I have had two great teachers out of six. It is just not a happy fun school. More by the book and get the job done type of place (other than PTA).

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

155 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

159 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

164 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

164 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

173 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

176 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

176 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

179 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

179 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

176 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

• Jan Komara
Fax number
  • (678) 594-8061

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2121 W Sandtown Rd SW