Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

Teachers carefully consider homework. Most of the bad reviews of this school are old. That's not entirely fair.

Most of the bad ratings for this school are old. Dowell is a beautiful community of like-minded parents, teachers, and administrators. Children truly are the focus--the all around child's needs are taken into consideration very seriously. I love having my daughter at Dowell from 1st to 5th. We're nervous about middle school, but the teachers assure us the transition will be seamless. I trust them.

The only reason I didn't give the school 5 stars is because I do agree that the homework is not explained well and I've had to google things looking for answers to my sons homework and the printing quality of the homework is poor but that's the only negative. The teachers on the other hand have been amazing, my son is going into 3rd grade and has been here since kindergarten, he also has an IEP and takes speech, OT, and goes part day to small groups. They have done a fantastic job working with my son who has ADHD, he has come so far and improved so much with their assistance and I am so grateful for that. All his teachers have been hands on and very sweet and we are happy to start a new year at dowell!

Dowell Elementary is a wonderful school with caring teachers and efficient Administrators. My son graduated from Dowell in 2011 and he is now a Freshman a one of the Magnet High School. My daughter now attends the 2nd grade and she is reading on the 4th grade level and she participates in the gifted program -Target.

We have two children at Dowell. One going into 3rd grade and the other going into 1st grade. They have both had wonderful, caring teachers. All the teachers at Dowell seem very committed to the kids. After reading some of the other reviews I want to comment that yes, there is a lot of homework, but this is no different than at other schools. As parents, we know that we have to be involved... Whether it is helping our children with their homework or volunteering at school. This way, I am aware of what my children are doing and learning at school. Dowell is a very diverse school for the demographics of the children, but this has not been a problem with the learning environment in the classroom. I highly recommend Dowell Elementary.

I have a 4 grader attending Dowell Elementary. My child teacher last year, 2012 - 2013, was terrible.

I agree this school gives homework so the parents can teach the kids for them. The kids have no clue how to do it and they give you nothing to go on. Worst school ever!My child is going to forth grade and has had 1 yes 1 good teacher. Very low quality teachers! They are very rude, unhelpful, and childlike!

Very little thought is given when assigned homework. It's printed out from the internet, copied, and send home, apparently without reviewing it. I've found several mistakes. In addition, very little communication is given as to what is being covered in the classroom.

I have 3 kids. One has now moved to middle school and the other 2 are still going to Dowell. This school has been great for all three of them. The principal is very good. She is always able to speak directly to me if needed. The PTA is very involved and devoted. I also have had wonderful teachers. One of my kids has ADHD and they are very supportive. He has done great. I have had a total of 6 years with this school. I would say things were good before the new principal but, are wonderful now. I feel as a paret she brought more order and the kids still get the fun feel however.

My son has attended this school pre-k and all 5 years and I find this school to be outstanding the teachers and staff speech teachers ect... are off the chart! Counselors who care and treat the children with respect. We will miss this school and to me it is the best school in the area...So Thanks so much for all you do... AT a parent

Last modified Dowell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.