Henry County Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 768 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 7, 2014

Henry County Middle is a very great School for Children to be a part of the is doing a fine job on the efforts of bullying they don't except this type of behavior in this school most important thing that they aloud the Parents to come and get involved and keep up with what is going on in the school and I now myself that the principal is a very working hard Woman in making sure the now what's going on in our school and I think our school is one the greatest

Posted March 7, 2013

I have two children who currently attend this school. They have great teachers who communicate with me on a regular basis. My children are doing well academically and love attending here.

Posted March 4, 2013

I am VERY concerned for my son's safety while attending this school!!! By the Principle's own admission, my son has been attacked by another student for NO reason at all. The student who attacked him had just come from Patrick Henry Alternative School and was sent back for his actions against my son who didn't even know him. Two weeks later, another Bullying incident occurred that got physical. I have been trying to contact the school to find out what policies are in place to ensure my son's safety while at school as well as on the bus. No return call yet. - From a Very Concerned Parent

Posted May 15, 2012

Pulling my daughter after TWO horrid years here. No preemptive calls from teachers, no preventatives in place for students... and no questions from teachers as to why... Well the reason why? BECAUSE they could CARE LESS. It's a paycheck, and SIMPLY that. I have had to jump through hoops for answers, to get return phone calls, or even follow up regarding NUMEROUS incidents. There are always fights, threats from teachers, as if they too were 12-13, and just plain ridiculousness. THANK GOD we are able to use the 251 program and get her the heck out of dodge. DO NOT enroll if at all POSSIBLE!!!!

Posted March 26, 2012

I pulled out my son from this school after a horrible one school year. I wasted one year of his life. No dedication for learning, didn't see any effort to educate the kids, lack of discipline and care.

Posted March 14, 2012

Terrible school! Old ,dirty, my son would find hair in his lunches, a severe lack of educational materials (kids have no books!!) disorganized mess. My son attended here for a total of 4 months and the cops were called to his bus every week for fights. My son now goes to Living Word Christian Academy. Best decision/ school ever! Great rates, small classes. In the 4 months my son was at Henry Middle his grades descended to almost failing!! 3 months at Living Word he is back to making all A's!!

Posted May 25, 2011

All four of my children have had the pleasure of attending HCMS. I have never had any academic concerns with any of their teachers or behavior issues for that matter. HCMS has some of the best teachers educating our kids however; it takes input from us as parents to be more involved with their education and lives. We can't just make the teachers accountable when we as parents aren't taking responsibility for our children's actions. We have to stop being part of the problem by enabling our children to continue to do wrong and work more at being a tool to the solution and support our teachers! Over the years I have seen and experienced a change for the better as it relates to the administration and overall climate of the school. Friday, I will be celebrating a joyous occasion as another child graduates from HCHS with honors!!

Posted November 24, 2010

My daughter has to go here right now - that is the ONLY reason she is going here. She herself said the teachers are just baby sitters. She doesn't feel like she is learning anything. Kids are always fighting, talking during class, causing problems so others can't be taught by the teachers. There is not a lot of communication between school and home. I will be so happy when the school yr is over and my child can go elsewhere!!

Posted October 12, 2009

My kids absolutely love henry middle school they really dont want to leave it!!!

Posted September 18, 2009

The school doesn't make the teachers, the teachers make a school. My kids have been unfortunate enough to get that 'one awful teacher' mentioned in another review. I find this to be the norm in talking with other parents so as long as you don't get her for your kids they will probably have a good overall experience in 6th grade which is such a critical time period in a kids development. I have nothing else negative to say however.

Posted September 16, 2009

The staff and teachers are helpful to the needs of students and parents.

Posted March 25, 2009

It was a good school when I went their. The teachers were great. I now go to Henry county High and it a great school too.
—Submitted by a student

Posted March 20, 2008

Based on student behavior, I think this school is exceptional. My son started school here because he was misbehaving at another local middle school and he was failing two classes. Now, because of the atmosphere and his wonderful teachers he is making all As and Bs. The athletic director is exceptional!

Posted February 11, 2008

I attend HCMS and I think its a great school. I am in Beta Club, Student Council, Tecno. Club and many more and I make straight A's because of my teachers. Although my mom dislikes this school very much, I love it, and I will continue to love it untill high school. My teachers are always willing to help me and are very involed with me, as far as education.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 7, 2008

I have been pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere of HCMS. My expectations were low when my son began attending there in 2006. I cannot praise the staff there enough. My son in involved in SAGE classes as well as extracurricular activities such as Battle of the Books and the Academic Bowl. The teachers there are very supportive. I was absolutely dreading sending my kids there, but this is literally a pearl in the midst of a gravel pit. Don't judge a book by its cover...this school looks dilapidated, but the faculty, staff, teachers and administrators are up to par.

Posted April 14, 2007

Although HCMS is lacking in funding for all aspects of the school. I find that the majority of the teachers there will go overboard to help a child succeed. My son is taking band classes and has learned how to read music for several different instruments. There is now a SPTAA for parents and teachers to come together in order to help our children succeed. The classrooms are smaller now because of the opening of a new middle school. There still are not enough books overall to go around, but the teachers really try hard to accommodate students. Overall, HCMS is not a bad school, they need more parental involvement and money to support the education as well as the extra curriculum programs in the school.

Posted December 14, 2004

I expected HCMS to be a horrible school due to its reputation in the community. I was poised to pull my child out if necessary. The opposite has proved true. She has had tremendous academic opportunities. She's in 8th grade and has had only one truly awful teacher in all 3 years. I do wish the students could have more say in the choice of the 'connections' classes. My child is a talented artist and has never had an art class, even though it is offered. For the student who is serious about an education, the opportunity is there. Thank you HCMS.

Posted June 10, 2004

I have been in the Henry County area for several years. I have 2 daughters that graduated from HCHS. My son is now attending HCMS and is very unhappy. I do not feel that the teachers or the support staff want to be involved with the students or the parents. If I had my way, I would not allow my child to return to this school enviroment. I feel that it is a very destructive enviroment and not condusive for learning.

Posted February 24, 2004

I think county school officials look at our school as second class. Our school has no PTO meetings at night, our children get no field trips (other middle schools in the couty do) I would like to know why they believe in them for other middle schools in our county. My taxes on my home are extremely high and my child can't even bring home a social studies book because there is only 1 set of books per social studies teacher. My son does have a group of very good teachers this year but, there are so many students that don't behave in our school that they constantly disrupt class and make learning difficult. I signed a form at our 'second cup of coffee meeting' which was held at 9:00am giving my phone number and name stating that I would like to volunteer from time to time even though I have a full time job. I signed this form in September 2003 and no one has called. At that time I also asked if they could have some meeting at night so that more parents could attend and I wouldn't have to take off work to show concern. We have not had one meeting at night. I think our school doesn't want parents to know what is going on, when they are questioned about an incident, they always seen to play it down.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

248 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

242 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

250 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

264 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

264 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

245 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

236 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

245 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

231 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

227 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

232 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

238 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

238 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

270 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian 2% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus

• Kimberly Anderson
Fax number
  • (770) 914-9537

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

166 Holly Smith Dr