Liberty Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted April 1, 2014

My son is in the third grade. I think the teachers are doing a great job since he has been there from Kindergarten. I expect a lot from my son and a the teachers that teach him. Communication is the key from the start. Teachers are there to teach, but so are the parents. It is a team effort. If there are subjects that are difficult, the teachers are there to support my son (and classmates) in understanding the work.

Posted July 15, 2013

My family has had nothing but positive experiences while interacting with the administration and staff. The school is always well kept and the relationship with the community is ecouraging and innotative. As with most efforts to make things better, there will be critics. There are many positive things to say about the school. It is a great ( and safe) place for learning.

Posted July 9, 2013

Liberty Elementary School has been a positive experience for my child. The Gifted Program is creative and child centered with hands-on projects and a caring teacher. I will miss it next year as we move to Middle School.

Posted June 18, 2013

It sounds like you have had some unfortunate experiences at this school, but my suggestion to you is to go to the BOE & get approval to transfer your children to another elementary school. If you continue to have the same problems-then First Presb. needs students every year. If you hate the school that much-the people in it-then go to another, especially since your children are special needs-that's an automatic pass to the front of the line! Quit complaining about the school on this Mickey Mouse website that no one looks at except you & I-and move on with your life!

Posted June 17, 2013

This is the worst school we have dealt with as a military Family. From the date of registering our children for LES this school has screwed up time and time again at the cost of our children's education. Our kids used to love school and now we have to drag them from bed everyday crying, they hate it so much. Even after a year they still hate it. We didn't get a registration packet and were told the wrong open house date. When we went to the school on the day we were told the V Principal very rudely kicked us out of the building without even apologizing or accepting blame for her staff. We have 2 special needs kids and it took weeks of calling the school everyday with no response only to have to complain to the County that we still hadn't confirmed that their teachers were aware of their disabilities. It was almost 2 months into the school year before they called us in for a 504 meeting then rudely disregarded all of our concerns. Teachers did not follow 504 plan despite complaints. Communication from staff is terrible and last minute!! Administration is HORRIBLE, both Principal an Vice Principal are SNOBS and are RUDE! They talk down to everyone, especially the kids.

Posted April 30, 2013

Beware Parents! The only good reviews are submitted by teachers and staff; the ones that work for the Principal and Vice Principal. One out of hundreds of examples: The school has "uniforms" and you have to "donate" money for dress downs. Which means you pay for a dress down. Way to highlight social inequality! And: Parents are not welcome!

Posted December 19, 2012

Good facility & teachers. TERRIBLE Administration. We know that GA public schools have a reputation for being sub-standard & based on that, we hesitant to send our son to LES for kindergarten. After looking into various private schools, we decided that the cost ($6000+/yr) was prohibitive & reluctantly decided to try LES. The school itself is relatively new & clean. My son's classroom teacher & most of the special activities teachers (music, AP, etc.) have been great. HOWEVER, the administration (Principal & Vice Principal) are rude & condescending. Both seem to have some kind of deep insecurity that causes them to act out in the form of ridiculous attempts at power-plays towards students, parents & staff. In any other business, their conduct would be reprimanded but, as they work primarily with children, it's disturbing. We are working very hard to minimize the amount of time my child(ren) will be attending school there.

Posted October 25, 2012

Horrible administration. They like to talk down to the parents and try to make them feel as if they don't know what they are talking about. Especially the assistant principal seems to think that she is better than everybody else. She is rude and disrespectful. Since I speak up when there is a problem now my child has to pay for it by being mistreated. Plenty of teachers have their own kids there and they can do whatever they want and never get in trouble. While the other children are made out to look like bullies. They claim they want parents involved, yet when you email the teacher more than once in a day (because you forgot to write something in the first email) they tell you that you are starting to harass the teacher. Most of the teachers are good. Of course there are always some that aren't. I can't wait for us to move and my kids will finally go to a school that cares.

Posted March 13, 2012

I think that the teachers and the principal Mr. Anderson are wonderful individuals, but it is sad to see the way that the Assistant Principal treats parents and students. She is extremely rude, defensive, and ignorant to say the least. She thinks that she is above the parents at this school. Both my husband and I are educated individuals and do not expect getting disregarded in the manner that she treats parents. She does not listen to what parents are trying to explain to her, she receives second hand information from her staff and does not listen to the parents. Mr Anderson, if you read these reviews, please find another assistant principal before your school fails and you have to be embassed to be the principal there. She is your employee it is time you take a stand and teach her how to respect others before the parents decide to take her attitude to the school board and then you are really embarassed. Please take note that many families feel the same way about her as my comments here today.

Posted April 21, 2010

I would have to say my children have been in this school for 5 years and this is the first year I Can say I am proud of the school my special needs son FINALLYgot a teacher that expects him to learn and progress and my daughter has a fifth grade teacher who got her reading on grade level in three months when the year started she was on a third grade level! Way to LES its finally becoming a school to be apart of.

Posted July 30, 2009

My son went to this school in 2007. It was the worst school I have ever seen, and I've seen alot being in the military. The children did not have any kind of recess, they were not allowed to speak even during lunch. My son never got into trouble at school, as he's a shy,quiet boy, but everyday he came home he told me he had to put his head down on his desk for long periods of time as a punishment because some of the kids in class misbehaved. My son never gave me a hard time about going to school until he started at this school. I went to the school and tried to talk to the principal, but she was never available. We moved to get out of the district. Do not send your kids to this awful school!!!

Posted February 25, 2009

This school's ONLY concern is the CRCT. My daughter has no idea what she will be studying the next day because it's always some random CRCT practice sheet. My son use to LOVE going to scholl, and now he just cries every morning. THIS SCHOOL IS TERRIBLE!!! Nexy year; private school......thank God.

Posted February 8, 2009

The environment is design to encourage students to aim for the highest in everything they do at this school. The teachers at this school communicated with me on a daily basis. I was given home phone numbers, emails addresses and was allowed to walk in on any given day to have an impromptu parents teachers conference. The school supports military families when they need it most, during deployments. The teachers and staff work hard to make sure they create a challenging and motivating atmosphere for all students. The school encourages parents to be involved in sports meets, talents shows, history bowls, performing arts, field trips, choir etc. I count myself lucky because of the learning experiences my sons received at this school.

Posted November 7, 2007

I know this school very well and the Special education class at this school is the worst. The special education children are not given the least restrictive environment and it is apparent that the teacher(s) are not highly qualified. The special ed children are ignored at this school by all teachers and administrators. It is true, there is a horrible teacher/principal relationship here and it is hard to find qualified teachers. Yes I agree that the now former principal really destroyed this school. However, I also fault the Liberty BOE and the Exceptional Child Division for letting things get this far and ignoring the situation.

Posted September 12, 2007

Nope, didn't like it and don't reccommend it. Atmosphere is too tense.

Posted May 31, 2007

This school is great. All the teachers that my child had were great. I believe that the students are pushed into doing their best. The use of technology in the classrooms makes learning fun. My child loves going to all four resource areas at this school. I feel this will make my child well rounded. I feel that as a parent I am welcomed to come in and see how my child is doing. I really enjoy families in school day. Parents are given opportunities to be involved in what their child is learning by going to several workshops that are offered throughout the year. Unlike the other parents, I feel that Dr. Riles is doing a good job at this school. Keep it up.

Posted March 25, 2007

I am a former teacher at this school and the parent comment is right on. The tension so so thick and teachers are not respected. Parents need to stand up and take it to the board for the childrens sake. The teacher turnover rate is very high.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 8, 2006

I advise parents to stay away from this school. Dr. Riles is a nightmare! She does not encourage parent involvement. She doesn't seem to want parents at the school at all. That tells me there is a problem! When I asked why my child has to sit in a chair all day long, I was told that centers and recess were a waste of time. I do not believe that worksheets are constructive learning. During the time that my child was at this school, all she did was sit in her chair with a worksheet. Another problem, was the environment. It is not friendly or inviting. You can feel the tension between the principal and the teachers. If I picked up on the tension, I am sure the kids feel it to. There are several problems at this school and I believe Mrs. Riles is at the 'root' of the problems.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

82 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

99 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

99 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

114 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

• Chris Anderson
Fax number
  • (912) 884-3631

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

600 Edgewater Dr