Milledgeville, GA

Posted June 15, 2012
My son transferred from Roswell H.S., GA as an honor student 2 years ago. Now he is failing. I have encountered an enormous amount of apathy and outright hostility from teachers and administrators at Baldwin H.S. One administrator stated, "Well, Roswell is much easier than Baldwin." WHAT A JOKE! Roswell H.S. sends kids to Ivy League and prestigious universities such as Emory and Duke on a regular basis! My son's "F"'s are mainly due to classroom participation and days he missed because of suspensions due to dress code violations. An administrator argued with me that his maroon shirt was not a shade of red! His I.D. card was once flipped over backwards without him noticing. One science teacher failed him on a research paper because my son stated that Stephen Hawking 's work often overlapped philosophy due to questions about the origin of the universe and the nature of consciousness. The teacher chided, "You don't even know the difference between social studies and science!" I went to an administrator and was dismissed because she apparently couldn't even fathom this debate. GOOD RIDDANCE BALDWIN! I found a new job in a different county.

Posted June 15, 2012
My daughter has been at B.H.S. through ninth grade. She barely passed. We transferred from Orlando, FL, and one of the assistant principals had the ignorance to predict, "Your daughter may have trouble here. We are a lot harder than Florida's schools..." HUH? Georgia is usually 48th or 49th in national ratings. The administrator informed me that good behavior and compliance were heavily weighted in their scoring procedures. Once again...HUH? The BHS mission statement says they are primarily there to prepare kids for college. Where does it mention good behavior and compliance? My daughter barely passed and is going to summer school. I am thinking of enrolling her in Georgia's Cyber Academy. I can't move right now because of work and can't afford a private school. In addition to constant teasing , bullying and profanity used by other students, the teachers and administrators act like they don't care what happens to the kids or how they perform. Teachers regularly don't show for 5th block and then give kids a zero for not completing the work scheduled for 5th block. The last straw was when my daughter was suspended for wearing a belt with a Salvadro Dali design.

Baldwin High School 4

Posted July 01, 2011
I graduated from Baldwin High School. I took all of the AP classes that were offered at the time and participated in the joint enrollment program with GC&SU, so I was able to graduate with some college credits already under my belt. The majority of the teachers I had at BHS cared about creating a challenging and engaging classroom experience.

Posted May 27, 2011
I had thought that BHS would be an adequate school until my daughter attended there this year. Out of contact with about 20 staff members, I can say only 2 or 3 seemed devoted and professional. I often found no front desk personnel available when I arrived for conferences, and I would be confronted curtly after waiting 20 minutes and trying to walk to a different office such as the counselors' center and told to go back to the front. Mainly, I have been disgusted with many teacher's comments such as, "What you want me to do about it?" when I explained that my daughter was struggling and that I wanted to help or devise a plan of action. One example involves a period called "fifth block" when teachers are supposed to be available to give individualized help. I rarely found the teachers at school when we scheduled these, and oncemy wife and daughter saw the fifth block teacher leaving when they arrived for fifth block. The teacher scawled, slammed her car door, stalked into the building and yelled, "I don't know why she even comes! It's not helping her!" My daughter has a 504 plan. Only one teacher met with us all year for a scheduled conference.

Posted March 10, 2011
As a student at BHS in the nineties, I loved it. I felt like I left prepared for college and I really enjoyed my four years there. Now I have a child there. The administration waits at least a month before informing you that your child has received an ISS day. You never know about any discipline problems or potential problems with grades until much later. If it wasn't for me being a very involved parent, and going after the information I want, I'd never know what's going on up there.

Posted February 05, 2010
I attended this school for 2 and 1/2 years before finally changing schools. Although some people have good experiences with BHS, mine was not. Some of my teachers were not exactly 'bright' and often voiced their own oppinions rather than teach the material laid out for them. The school has also not met AYP numerous times, and has quite a high drop out rate. My biggest set back was definetly the class structure. There are AP, regular, and 'advanced' classes. I took a few APs and was supposed to be in the advanced, but do not let the name fool you. The students behaved so poorly and the teachers often could not control the classes. Discipline at Baldwin is not taken seriously, as often fights erupt, even during class. As mentioned below, don't expect to pick many of your classes. The options wont be 'available'.

Posted October 04, 2009

Posted October 11, 2007
Personally I would choose another school for my child simply because I know a student cannot be the average (c) student at this school.

Baldwin High School 3

Posted May 24, 2007
I am a student at Baldwin High School now going into my third year, and I have a business seal but I have yet to take a business class. I was scheduled for business law this year and instead they put me in horticulure.I tried to change it the temporary counselor wouldn't let me and when we got a new one after Mr. Flakes Died it was too late.I need as many business classes as I can get to prepare for college.Idont want to go to a 4 year college unprepared now I might have to go to a 2 year college first just to catch up.

Posted December 27, 2006
- a former student
I went to this school back in 02, and it was horrible! I will never send my children to this school, or any school in Baldwin County for that fact!

Baldwin High School
155 Ga Highway 49 W, Milledgeville, GA  31061
Last modified Baldwin High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Baldwin High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top