George Walton Academy

Private | PK-12

Living in Monroe

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $96,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $770.

Sweep tile

Posted March 19, 2014

Shocked that you would use a site that states % students of color. Christ, see's no color, and I wish the world including George Walton Academy would move past labeling. Many educators are not certified, and many of them have no business teaching. For the amount of money we have spent there for tuition, my kids are doing worst academically than when they were in public school. With that being said, this is their last year at George Walton Academy, and we are looking forward to putting this Stone Age atmosphere behind us.

Posted January 18, 2014

This is the third year my children have attended GWA, and I am extremely pleased with this school. I can not say enough good things about it. The teachers--the curriculum--the quality of education--the atmosphere and school culture...ALL awesome! The teachers are not only highly skilled, but they are exceptionally DEDICATED! They show genuine interest in the well being of each and every student. The school culture here is friendly, personal and family oriented. Parent involvement is highly encouraged and common. Open communication between parent and teacher is highly encouraged. The principal, staff, teachers, parents, students are like family. The principal is a great leader with a great attitude. He is respectful, approachable and, like the teachers, he shows genuine interest in the well being of all the students. My kids love this school. The quality of education and the positive environment GWA provides for kids is priceless.

Posted May 5, 2013

GWA is trying to evolve into a more technology relevant school. There is a new initiative to upgrade the technology at the school. My children find the academics challenging and not just teaching a test. They take AP classes and the work load is hard but tolerable. They are definitely being prepared for college. Overall the student body is well mannered and academic success is admired but must be earned. No school is perfect, but we feel we get a great value for the tuition paid.

Posted April 27, 2013

Unforunately, GWA has made very little attempt (or at the least is way behind the curve) to evolve into a more relevant and technology driven campus. After several years of sending my child here, we left and enrolled in a local public elementary.I was amazed at the difference. The teaching methods and curriculum at GWA are old and stale. Teachers pass out worksheets and study guides with no regard for different learning styles. While some children thrive in this environment some do not. There are of course some excellent teachers at GWA.However, unfortunately there are equal parts mediocre. If your primary objective is to control the environment, friendships and surroundings your child is exposed to, then this school may be ok for you. But do not fool yourself into thinking that the education is any better, in fact I found it to be inferior. My son still has many friends from GWA, so I do not mean to sound as if it does not have it's merits. But for us, paying the tuition to attend did not make sense.

Posted April 10, 2013

GWA offers a overall good education. We've experienced both private and public and I really appreciate not teaching for a test. I saw my oldest child at public being pushed through with A's and not seeing 'A' material skills. We transferred our oldest into GWA in high school and saw vast improvements in the requirements required to obtain an A. Big difference!! Went to college of choice! Our younger children are all at GWA now and do have to work a lot harder to get the grades they all had at the public school they attended. The counseling at GWA is lacking. If your child needs assistance from couns-hard but support staff great! The sports program lacks good leadership. We were warned by many that the baseball program was not ran well and can say now that it is a big disappointment. You would hope that a school program would be run by someone other than dad's and past students but its not and all that it implies. Heard great things about soccer and cross county coaches. School seems to be letting in more kids without regard to behavior or grades since the downturn in the economy. Some big donors kids get away with a lot more than others. Small class sizes are great!

Posted November 7, 2012

My husband and I made the choice to enroll our son in George Walton Academy because we wanted a stellar education for him and in part due to the large enrollment numbers in his neighborhood school. He's beginning his fourth year as a student. While we have been satisfied with the coursework, the lack of effort on the part of many of the staff to build relationships with families and their children is appalling. As a parent and 28 year educator I am taken aback by the aloofness and indifference demonstarted by some on the campus. I tell myself, that my son is getting an exceptional education, which he is, however as a parent and educator I know that building relationships is key to growing our children into well-adjusted, productive, and independent, caring citizens. While GWA prides itself on offering a top notch education to its stakeholders I'd also like to be able to say that they are compassionate to the needs of all their families and children not just to some. In this regard, they have " a ways to go," before they can say , "job well done."

Posted March 4, 2012

GWA is a safe, nurturing environment for my daughter. The teachers care about her and she is encouraged to reach her full potential. I agree with the other parent who said that it is cool to be smart. The school offers wonderful field trips and I like that they don't "teach to the test". I am raising my daughter to have good manners and to try her best. Most GWA families seem to share these values.

Posted December 6, 2011

My children have been to 4 different schools. We have been very happy with GWA. It was a hard adjustment for one of my children who started GWA in 5th grade. Many of these children have been together since pre-k and have a hard time accepting new students, but as time went on things fell into place. My children are now in 6th and 8th and while GWA is'nt perfect, I don't think any school is. This small town atmosphere is awesome and parents are very involved. My children are challenged and most of the teachers seem to really care about my children's success. Keeping in contact with many of the public school parents, I can say you don't see the sexual tendencies you find in the other schools in our area. What's considered 'normal' for other teenagers is not here. I appreciate the modesty of our students and the faculty that is willing to call them out on it.

Posted October 8, 2011

I just love our school! We have just under 1000 students in all K4-12th grades, and it's still like a family! We offer a wonderful academic program and many opportunities for the students to get involved outside of the classroom. I'm proud to work with conscientious, caring, professional colleagues and supportive administrators. If you are considering a private school, please check us out! I bet you'll love it as much as I do!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 18, 2011

George Walton Academy has provided a wonderful atmosphere for my elementary and middle-school aged children. It's cool to be smart here - and involved. Students are encouraged to be well-rounded. Academics are the main focus, but community service and involvement in extra-curricular activities is welcomed. With a nationally-recognized marching band and an internationally award winning year book, GWA fosters growth and encourages excellence. The school was built on Judeo-Christian values and has been an excellent fit for my family.

Posted September 12, 2010

My children attended there and liked the country club atmosphere, but very disappointed with the academic program there. Many teachers are not certified and many have lost their certification due to lack of staff development for the teachers. Many teaching methods are old and stale due to teachers not renewing certificates and not being made to renew certificates. It seems that if one is paying tuition to a private school, then one should expect teachers to be atleast currently certified. Some teachers in the high school have never been certified in the teaching area. Very shocking and disappointing as a parent. The sports programs are okay, but too much emphasis is put on the football program there. Heavy recruiting goes on there and the recruited players go to school tuition free and don't have to pass the entrance exams. Some boys are held back a grade to be bigger for football!

Posted January 26, 2010

this school is great! homework is too much though! but the extracuricular activities are great. we are the state champs in football, and the middle school girls basketball team went undefeated this year!

Posted August 26, 2009

My chlid attended this school for two years and never got below an 'A-' on anything! He was not pushed at all and never had any need to study. Other children in his class would push & shove and name call all the time (He has a fist fight in his class last year!). This school could be great but I feel that the teachers are affraid to upset the parents and just just give out A's and don't bring up bad behavioral issues going on in the class. My child was totally bored and I don't see the piont in paying $900 per month for that. We found another private school near Atlanta and my child is finally challenged! If you care about your childs education you can find WAY better options! Your child deserves it!

Posted April 5, 2009

As I am only a student at the school I hated it for the longest time until now I took part in the fine arts program in which was photography and yearbook which are both 2 phenominal programs I'm actually happy now because of the great intructors and fun that the arts area of the school has, as for learning this school definately isn't very strong in that field but if depends which subject and teacher you get the school mainly concentrates on football so if you kid is in the school for later going to college and being in the art field or trying to get into a sports college then this is the school, it they wanna get into harvard this is definately not this school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 20, 2009

This is school is terrible. If you care anything about your child and his/her learning, you should not send your child here. The only thing this school can grasp is football, and their still terrible at it.

Posted February 17, 2009

Having graduated from George Walton, and as a current student at a Top-25 nationally ranked college, I can attest to the fact that GWA provides an excellent educational experience. I have emailed several of the teachers I had in high school and thanked them for preparing me so well for the challenges I've faced in college. One of GWA's greatest advantages is that it allows students to excel in areas (sports, band, etc) that might not have been available to them in a AAAAA public school. Not many girls that are 5'5' can play basketball at a public school, nor does everyone have an equal chance to be involved in student government and other organizations at larger schools. I wouldn't change a thing.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 10, 2009

George Walton is a wonderful place for my children. They are safe, happy and challenged. For kindergarten and all of elementary school, our experience has been amazing, As children grow into middle and high school, there are numerous choices for students to be involved in -- everything from a national champion band and yearbook program to debate, swimming, football and lots of athletic choices (including soccer) to art and bible classes and much more. Community service is stressed. It is a great place to develop a well-rounded child with an academic focus.

Posted December 20, 2008

Have had 2 children in GWA for 5 years. Have been very happy and satisfied. Has the BEST Band program in the state. You don't have to think twice about this school.

Posted October 28, 2008

GWA is a great school as the public & private school choices for the area are limited. But I must say, I am disappointed in the academic quality of the upper school. It was a shock to go to college orientation and see the level of education my child's local peers had attained in other area schools, entering as sophmores and above. GWA does not offer enough AP classes to obtain this level. The class sizes are good, with the average graduating class being 75 or less, all being accepted to a college prior to graduation. The down side is that they do not have a knowledgeable HS counselor in place to assist with college placement other than the area colleges that they have always sent kids to. So if you want to get outside the box, say to Harvard, you will be doing all the legwork yourself.

Posted October 24, 2008

George Walton Academy is an overall okay school. It has little private school competition in its area, so it doesn't reach its maximum potential. Specific sports (aka football and cheerleading) are overemphasized while the other atletic programs are neglected. Well-educated coaches are needed for all sports teams. George Walton Academy has a tendency to stick a teacher into a coaching position who has no experience with the game. Overall, it is okay, but doesn't live up to its claims

Asian 0% 2%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab