Morrow, GA

Thurgood Marshall Elementary School
Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted July 13, 2015
The teachers my son had in 3rd and 4th grade were excellent! They kept me informed on my child's progress good and bad. They continually challenged him and didn't give up until the goal was met. School is not solely about the teachers, the parents also have to play apart in their education.

Thurgood Marshall Elementary School 3

Posted October 16, 2014
As a parent of a child who attends Marshall Elementary, we must be honest. I am a parent who visits the school frequently, I see few parents in the building. The school is not responsible for everything. As parents we have to do our part: making certain our children are at school on time and in clean uniforms, making sure we communicate with the teachers, make certain our children are well behaved. Let's not blame the school for things parents are supposed to do. If you truly want your child to have a successful school, be an active part and not a finger pointer.

Thurgood Marshall Elementary School 3

Posted March 05, 2014
As principal of TME, I strive to ensure ALL students receive a quality education delivered by caring and effective teachers. Since becoming principal at TME in August 2012, we purposely use school improvement and student achievement as our guiding forces. Have we reached all goals? No. Do we work everyday toward those goals? ABSOLUTELY! A school excels when all stakeholders are actively involved in the work of the school. TME's success rests upon the positive collaboration of staff, parents and community working with TME STUDENTS in mind. I believe the students are THE most important people in our building. Our work must be student--centered; not adult centered. I also believe TME is a GA School of Excellence in the making, and it requires the positive collaboration of all to make this a reality. I have read the comments submitted prior to my submission and I appreciate the honesty extended. Now, let US all commit to working TOGETHER to make Thurgood Marshall Elementary an excellent school that lives up to its namesake, Mr.Thurgood Marshall- first African-American Supreme Court Justice. Let EXCELLENCE be OUR driving force. Let EXCELLENCE permeate all WE do... TOGETHER!

Posted January 21, 2014
As a parent this school is not the one to best to put your child in.The staff doesn't care about the children they only care about covering up on how well they do on test scores.The teachers and principal are letting the kids get away from not wearing their uniforms also.

Posted January 13, 2014
I removed my child from this school. He has special needs and was not getting what was rewuired based on his IEP. It appeared that if the students didn't make the "school numbers" they were not a priority. Also, it was like the school tried to hide those students from the general population didn't want them to be seen. Very thankful for mom's intuition and be proactive in removing my son. Parents know your rights you do have options.

Thurgood Marshall Elementary School 4

Posted August 23, 2013
I am the parent of a 2nd grader. The principal and staff are wonderful. I love Thurgood Marshall.

Posted November 19, 2012
The teachers in this school haven t been communicating, informing or honest with the parents how students are being taught in their child's classroom with the new Common Core Curriculum. It's not until we advocate for our child's progress that we receive a response and they evade the Common Core Curriculum. Are the Thurgodd Marshall Elementary teachers conducting their own independent Common Core Curriculum in their classroom? What evidence do we have that they are teaching is state standards in our child's classroom? We have been requesting communication either through e-mails, parent teacher conferences either through the principal and teacher and all we receive is pass the buck from principal to teacher. We are working parents and we don t have the opportunity to observe our teachers in the classrooms. The perception is either the student either gets it or they don't with the new curriculum in this school. If the student doesn't grasp the concept of the RIGOR curriculum the student will be impacted once again at the end of the year assessment test!

Thurgood Marshall Elementary School 2

Posted August 27, 2012
Teaching is great ! The school itself is so unorganized and does not like to give parents notice of special events (Example: Children's award ceremonies, Programs your children are suppose to be a part of. They earn awards but for some reason they are out of them when it is time for the children to receive them so they don't get awards certificates.) When picking up car riders it's the worst I've ever seen at any school 75% of the time they leave it up to one person to make sure it goes smoothly parents are coming in through the exit lanes and always getting out of the cars to pick up their children and block up the doors to me it is a hazard. You shouldn't have to wait in a line for 30 mins or longer just to get your child when you are close to the front of the line! The dismissal is so very unorganized and hopefully soon they will fix that problem! Parent involvement would probably be more if they were giving enough notice of events occurring at the school!

Posted October 09, 2011
The head principle at this school needs to be retrained on communication skills. My kids have been at this school for 4yrs and out of those 4 years when walking the hallways with my child she has never opened her mouth to even speak one time. I went to see her one day and had to write my reason on paper for the visit, so they could submit it to her.Until this day she never contacted me about my child. If I could sell my house tomorow just to get my kids out of this millitary school I would it is not proffessional at all.Some of the teachers are focused more on discipline rather teaching. They talk to the kids any type of way until a parent walks up on them. My children used to be excited about going to school but have changed drastically as if they are no longer intrested. It's as if some of the teachers have taken on the attitude of their leader.The good teachers have all run away. This schools needs a new leader is more about the children rather than someone who is more concenred with themselves.

Thurgood Marshall Elementary School 4

Posted June 12, 2011
Ms. Brown is a seasoned (in knowledge) teacher who loves the arts and makes sure your child learn. She's firm, but fair. Ms Brown is a sweet heart. Her assistant Mrs. Huff is good, but a lot times I felt her stress made her frown ALOT. I pray for the teachers b/c they endure not only our children but parents and administrative staff. Ms. Brown is very knowledgeable and I appreciate her nuturing spirit and my child has truly developed K' skills and more. Ms. Brown is a cool teacher to have.... Thank u Ms. Brown!

Thurgood Marshall Elementary School
5885 Maddox Rd, Morrow, GA  30260
Last modified Thurgood Marshall Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thurgood Marshall Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top