Mceachern High School

Public | 9-12 | 2156 students

Posted August 12, 2008

If you are looking for a high school to prepare you for college then do NOT come here. A couple years ago it might have been a great school to come to but now its just gone down to the dumps. Teachers dont help as much as they should. I feel they just show up for a check. I would not reccomend this school to anyone.

Posted July 15, 2008

Very poor leadership at this school. Generally, classes are overcrowded, the principal is not amicable, and the facilities are spread out over a large campus. If it rains....you are soaked. If you are seeking employment, stay away from this school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted November 17, 2007

I graduated from this school, and in general, it was a good experience. However, I do think the teachers could have tried a little harder to challenge the students. For me, it was almost too easy.

Posted August 8, 2007

I have had three children who have graduated from this school and I can honestly say that I was quite pleased. After moving from Baltimore, Maryland we were a little bit apprehensive about such a large school in the small community of Powder Springs. However, McEachern by far was a very good school. Although, I do believe that the former principal had a lot to do with the religious values and morals that were maintained by the school. I don't know of any public school in the country that actually had the principal living on campus? After he left, there was unfortunately a difference. Still to this day, McEachern continues to excel over many schools.

Posted June 11, 2007

I attended Mceachern and Graduated in 2005. It truly is a one of a kind school. it provides a safe environment to study in. The outdoor campus is amazing and truly brings the school together.The Athletic programs are outstanding and provide some of the best teams in the state. Being a former football player I will always be proud that i graduated from Mceahcern. The Teachers and Coaches are amazing and will do what ever they have to, to help your children.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 19, 2007

My two children are graduates of McEachern. Although a large school, I always felt that teachers were available to offer help whenever it was needed. I found the administration to be caring and concerned. I met Mr. Benson at the funeral of one of my child's classmates. Our best experience was with Commander Sudol and the other instructors in the NJROTC program. My daughter loved her experience so much that she decided to enlist in the military after graduation.

Posted November 14, 2006

McEachern is a pretty good school. Fun is truly in the hands of the student body. Pep rallies and assemblies use to be common place. However, a small portion of the student body had become more defiant and aggressive, so having large gatherings was a little unsafe and unproductive. Not to mention, the test scores dropped. I personally beleive it is the lack of community involvment and parent interest in the children that has hurt McEachern. McEachern is VERY good at providing extra assistance and guidance to those who are willing. McEachern is a good school with a few bad eggs.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 31, 2006

McEachern is not a good school at all! Violence is horrible and teachers could care less. My child went from being an 'A' student at his previous school to barley being able to pass. My oldest child attended McEachern and graduated 5 years ago, and that school has done nothing but go down hill ever since the past principle has left. The only reason why i left my son in that school for his full 1st year was because of the AMAZING band program. He will be attending a new school this fall.

Posted May 8, 2006

As a former student of McEachern High School (Class of 2003), I must say that the years that I spent there were wonderful. Yes, there were the usual high school complaints of the halls are too crowded or that the lunch food stunk; but looking back now I realize how petty these complaints were. The open air lay out of the campus is so much like the college that I now attend that there wasn't the culture shock of being at college. I also had teachers who pushed me for more. My Chemistry teacher, Ms. Keel, was the best I've ever had. She helped me with my college level Chemistry even though she didn't have to. All my french teachers were wonderful and encouraged me all five years I took french. The tradition and deep history that is behind the school also makes this an outstanding school to attend.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 10, 2006

Relocated from Maryland with 6 children. Mceachern is our 1st highschool experience. We and our son are very pleased with this school. I love the way the school is like a college campus and because of the many courses that are offered, I feel my son will be well prepared for college. All staff, teachers and administrators I have delt with have been great with resonding to my e-mails and phone calls. I appreciate the guidance in preparing my son for his academic and future career goals. The school makes the parent and the student aware of what curriculum needs to be followed. It is competive to make a sports team. My son loves basketball and soccer. He made the soccer team. Large # of students tried for basketball.

Posted December 8, 2005

I attend Mceachern how school currently and i think that it is a real good school. Of course there are fights here and there, what school doesn't have them.Also there are over 3000 kids in this school and i think the teachers do an overall good job at keeping track and making sure you get the help you need.I'm doing better in school now than I was before in my old high school. The lunches are crowded and so are the hallways but i think thats what makes a high school and thats what makes it fun and you're friends with most of the kids. So, i think that Mceachern is a real good school.

Posted December 1, 2005

The facility is wonderful. The teachers are all caring and enjoy what they do. The administration is helpful.

Posted October 8, 2005

I have 3 children there at all levels and all are excelling. All three are in Marching band. I cannot say enough good about Sonny Petway. Band has kept all my children on the right track and the Parent involvement is tremendous. The acedemics are excellent and the teachers have always kept me informed before truoble occurs. The only thing I would like to see change is the Principal give more support to the band. It is obvious where his support is and it is with the football team.

Posted August 5, 2005

We have one son t hat graduated this past year from McEachern and another one that will start there in 2 years. Our son that graduated could not have excelled more than he did at McEachern. He graduated with Honors and that is due to the great teaching at this school. During his 4 yearsthere we had no problems with bullying or fights. McEachern is a great school for any child to attend, I should know, I graduated from McEachern!

Posted May 13, 2005

McEachern is a great school. I've had two graduate and one is a sophomore. The staff is highly trained and cares about the kids. The sports program and facilities are superior as is the performing arts center and the programs involving that facility. I can't say enough about the quality of the campus. If a child attends McEachern, they can adapt easily to any large university. McEachern is larger than some colleges and certainly has more buildings. A number of parents are involved in the school. It's such a large school, that it's hard to tell what percentage of parents volunteer.

Posted April 11, 2005

with 4 children in this school district, 3 having gone through McEachern and 1 starting next year, I have had good and bad experiences. I would like to know why the principal has neglected making a Principal's review. There are a lot of issues that should be addressed.

Posted April 4, 2005

mceachern overall is an okay. to me the school administration does a good job in carring out deciplin, but as far as listening to the students they can do a far better job!

Posted February 15, 2005

Mceachern to my opinion is a great school. People say negative things about Mceachern because of the size of the school. This is my sons second year and he has never had a problem. The teachers keep me informed about his progress. As a parent I get involved as much as I can to make sure my son stays focus and out of trouble.My son takes part of one of the best marching band programs in Cobb county with superb instructors and volunteers. He is so busy with his school work and marching band, that he does not have time to get into trouble. You are going to come across problems no matter were you are. Parents it is up to you to get involved, know who your kids hang out with. To the person who said that Mceachern does not have spirit try to attend the football games.

Posted February 9, 2005

My Experience at McEachern: When going to class, you get pushed by hundreds of students on small walkways, and frequent fights send students running, which has caused injuries to others because they push them out of the way or jump over/on them to see the fight. At lunch you can wait 20 minutes in line to eat the unhealthy food they serve, which leaves about 10 minutes to eat, or you could visit vending machines, which offers sugary, salty, and caffeine filled products. In class, with 32 students (28 is the rule) and your teacher, who doesn t know your name, hands you work while ignoring the mass of students. When it rains, you get soaked and have to avoid the giant puddles. It takes 2 weeks to talk to a counselor. You have to be extremely good at a sport to be considered for a spot on any McEachern team.

Posted January 10, 2005

I disagree with the review posted in December 2004. McEachern is an outstanding school. My son is currently a senior and has played Varsity football for 4 years, as well as basketball. The coaches have always been honest and upfront about what commitment is required from the athletes and their parents. I have never felt there was any favoritism shown by any coach, in any sport at McEachern. The principal and the entire administrative and teaching staff actively promote higher learning and individual responsibility in all the students. McEachern has outstanding parental and community support. McEachern often gets a bum rap because it's so rich in tradition that others cannot hope to achieve. I think the parent who made the December comment is in for a rude awakening if he/she thinks their child will be any more safe or treated any better at any other school in Cobb County.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

431 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2011.

417 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 93% in 2011.

431 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 80% in 2011.

430 students were tested at this school in 2011.

2009

Scale: % at or above passing

In 2010-2011 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) in English language arts, math, science and social studies to students in grade 11. The GHSGT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass all parts of the GHSGT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 95% in 2013.

441 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Writing Test (GHSWT) to students in grade 11. The GHSWT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass the GHSWT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

361 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

528 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

475 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

611 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

268 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

381 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

539 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2400 New MacLand Rd