Compton Elementary School

Public | K-5

Posted Monday, August 25, 2014

My children have been going to Compton for the last 12 years and during this time I have had great experiences. Liz Murphy does a great job with the parents and the teachers my children have had have been great. Haskins, Ballenger, Luttrell, Hamilton, Carey, Brown...great teachers. The only reason for not giving a 5 star rating is that some of these great teachers are no longer there. The have a great drama team that heads of great performances with the students. How the rating is that low is beyond me.

Posted July 30, 2014

I was weary about sending my kids here. With such bad reviews. At the end of the day any school is as good as your parental involvement. If parents are not involved in your kids schools then the rating is always going to be low. This school tries very hard to go above and beyond. From Movie nights, school dances, end of year field trips, Target (the gifted program for Cobb county) the school rocks. Sure there are things they could improve upon like that rude lady at the front desk, but the school as a whole is great. I've had three kids attend this school. One of them went years ago when it had a much higher rating but the experience has been the same. Will still had a kid there this school year 2014-2015.

Posted March 27, 2014

Do your kid a favor and send them somewhere else! There are only a few good teachers here. About 1 per grade level. Pretty unfortunate odds that your child will get one that doesn't care much about your family. There's an extreme lack of parental involvement at this school, but you can't blame the parents too much..the principle and secretary go to great lengths to discourage any kind of parental involvement. The PTA is run solely by staff, which is not how it should be! It should be 50/50 staff and parents. For the sake of this school, I certainly hope they get a new principle soon. The current one has no idea what she's doing and needs to step away from her post.

Posted May 21, 2012

Possibly THE worst school ever! My daughter attend Compton K back in 2010-2011 school year coming from a wonderful school which had her as a star student. In one school year Compton managed to not only slow down her progress, but also managed to put her in the EIP program which followed her to the next schools she is attending now. With the No child left behind law and Compton's failing to meet CRCT scores for four years straight. The Board of Education allowed her to transfer to a wonderful school of our choice and she is doing so wonderful there, even getting out of that EIP program. Sadly to say under the same B.O.E rules along with transportation, busing will not be available for her this 2012-2013 school year, so it's either take her to and from her wonderful school or send her back to Compton where busing would be available so, we definitely chose to commute back and forth everyday for the next year rather than send her back to Compton. If you don't have a choice, find one and if there is no choice...make one and please, do not send your child to a school that doesn't care! "A CONCERNED PARENT!!!!!!!!"

Posted November 4, 2011

Totally hate this school.....they treat the kids by the color of their skin. If you ever in Compton zone...MOVE! Education is not first, they are not fair and the Principal doesnt get involved in anything! This school is the the WORSE! There are some good teachers, but the Admin is horrible...

Posted October 23, 2011

This school was a total nightmare. I had my special needs son at this school, and it was obvious from the start that the principal and administrator did not want to be bothered with my son. My son has Autism, and they never had a routine in place for my son from the first day of school. Because of this my son would have very, very mild outburst, which they labeled as "disrupting the class". It also didnt help that this school is on the needs improvemnent list for special needs education. The principal went so far as to try to prove that we didnt live in the district, but never got proof. The principal even sent a sheriff and a social worker to our address to see if we lived there, while telling us that this is "normal" practice. I had to put my son in a new school to get him away from this. I would not recommend this school to anyone, especially to a family with a special needs child.

Posted January 31, 2011

I love this school. The teachers and administration are very approachable. They have a very good and involved PTSA. The coaches are very committed in every sport. Also a good mix of kids.

Posted January 18, 2011

Review Compton's overall "scores" via this website: The proof is in the pudding. Compton E.S. is Powder Springs's low-income elementary school. A large % of it comprised by transient student body. By ethnic makeup, students are mostly African-American & Hispanic. The administration, specifically its principal, have demonstrated poor leadership at the helm. A few teachers seem competent and passionate but "challenging academic programming" is not something you'll discover at Compton. Prioritization at Compton is a serious problem in terms of resources and tax payer dollars being utilized effectively and responsibly.

Posted December 15, 2010

Residents become aware of the potential depreciation in your surrounding property from the proposed T-Mobile Cell Tower on Compton Elementary School's playground. There are already two T-Mobile cell towers at nearby schools to meet the demands of T-Mobile's clients. Another cell tower is unnecessary!

Posted July 28, 2010

I have had children in this school for 6 years now and I have always liked my children' teachers but what I don't like is the office staff service, some people don't know to talk to people, we (the parents) are adults and not children to be addressed in a such manner. I avoid going to the office for any reason unless it is absolutely necessary ( I also pay taxes)

Posted May 26, 2010

To all compton teachers excellent job, classes could be smaller if possible, other than that I commend them for what they do everyday. parents get involved more and help these teachers. To start with the Principal,I appreciate what you do everyday.

Posted March 4, 2009

Both of my children attend Compton. They have always addressed my concerns about my children and make them feel special. However classrooms cloud be a little smaller and more time with each student but I know they are doing everything they can to make sure my children are given the best! Thanks Compton! Your doing a great job!

Posted December 4, 2008

I would not recommend this school at all. Point blank period. Its not a comfertable enviroment to be around at all. I walk in to take my daughter to class, all you can hear is screaming, cursing, and a dirty place. I like what some of the teachers are doing, and creating for my daughters education, but the school itself is horrible. I prefer Dowell, or Varner Elementary, which is now where my daughter, now in 3rd grade attends.

Posted August 3, 2007

We have 3 children that have been in Compton. The past 3 years have been nothing but a nightmare. We saw our son's self-esteem hit rock bottom this past school year 06/07. We were even seriously thinkin about moving before school started. We had meeting and meeting with his teachers and administration and they just didn't listen to us. Our daughter is going in the 6th grade and our son will never go back. I would not recommend this school to anyone. If I could I would not give any stars.

Posted July 31, 2007

For the entire year, I observed: Not enough / no homework given, lack of feedback from teachers on how my daughter was doing, and refusal of teacher to call me back for my requested meetings. The lack of communication from the teacher is unacceptable. I do not recommend this school. My daughter got all 3's on the CRCT until coming to this school. This last testing period, she got 2's. If the teachers don't give the feedback to the parents, the parents can't not insure success on tests like the CRCT.

Posted May 24, 2007

I am very pleased with the Speech Teacher, Mrs. Camese. She has a true understanding of what it takes to make my child feel success. She is the epitome of what a Great teacher should be. Thanks for your kindness, professionalism and overall generosity. No wonder you are the Teacher of the Year. Job Well Done!

Posted March 28, 2007

I am pleased with what my daughter is learning Mrs. Cearns is her teacher and she is WONDERFUL! However, there is a serious discipline problem at Compton. The administration really needs to get a handle on the behavior of the students and support teachers more. I am a very involved parent and I make sure that my daughter stays on task with her academics. I also work very hard with her teacher to address ANY discipline problems. I am not sure that other parents are doing the same. The overall environment is not good. My child will not be returning to Compton. More focus needs to be put on learning. I would not recommend this school to anyone moving to the Powder Springs area.

Posted March 10, 2007

Compton lacks parent involvement in all areas which has a huge effect on the school. 95% of the teacher really try with the limited supply of money, parental support, etc. I would not recomend this school for any reason except it English as Second language and speach teacher.

Posted February 13, 2005

I agree with Mrs. Sweet. My son is in Mrs.Graff's 3rd grade class and she is one of the best. Her career spans over 2 decades and nothing slips past her. I can only hope that his next teacher has half the qualities that Mrs.Graff has. As far as parental involvement and community support I'm surprised. At the FAMILY Valentines dance the parking lot was full and the cafateria/dance floor was packed. My wife and Mrs. Sweet are just a small part of the great parental involvement. Would like to see more families at Skate nite on the 3rd monday of each month.

Posted January 2, 2005

I rate Compton a 10!! I have two children at this school(PK & 1st). The demographics may not be the best, but the teachers ARE!! They are the most caring, loving and giving group of people I know. I felt like a family the first time I ever stepped foot into the school. So you ask me to rate and comment on Compton Elementary. IT IS AWESOME!! The parental involvement..we have 100% room parent coverage...thank you very much. As far as specials? WOW!! Music(A+)...P.E.(A+)...Art(A+)...Nature, yes I said nature(the only one in cobb county I might add)(A+)! I am a very involved parent(a chairperson on the PTA) and there is NOTHING that can change my opinion of this school. Thank You for your time. Melanie Sweet (sweet@ptamail.net)

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

82 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

83 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

82 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

80 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

• Liz Murphy
Fax number
  • (770) 222-3702

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3450 New MacLand Rd