Powder Springs, GA

Varner Elementary School 2

Posted February 24, 2015
Needs Improvement While I appreciate what the school has going for it, there was too much negative. You really got the feeling they did not care to deal with anyone. This was the same among most teachers, staff, and office. They would rather you just turn a blind eye and go along with whatever. They do not really want to hear from you. If you do speak up, know you will likely get on their bad side and be disliked.
2 people found this helpful

Varner Elementary School 5

Posted November 10, 2014
My children attended private school before coming to Varner. My husband thought it would be great for the kids to try the neighborhood school. Dare I say he was correct! Our kids are continuing to excel academically. The two teachers my kids have had are Outstanding! The PTA is very active.

Varner Elementary School 5

Posted May 21, 2014
Varner is excellent in my view! My 3rd grader special need student got everything and more in relation to her education, to the added tutoring and the teachers went over and beyond in helping with the Common Core. If I would have another choice of schools, I'd want my children to remain at Varner. Teacher/ parent contact is excellent. Programs offered for enrichment to students and family is there. I have found all the staff kind, courteous,professional, and knowledgeable in their instruction and caring for the child. My child and I have nothing but positive experiences to say about this school. from the Principal to all staff, they have been more than accommodating to help the students succeed. They genuinely care about their students success. Today, my child came home crying because it was her last day in 3rd grade. She said the total class of 16 was in tears -minus one child-. I can just imagine what an impact these teachers made on their classroom. They dealt with this hormonal classroom in a very compassionate manner. I hand 1.000 kudos to the teachers, Principals, and staff at Varner for helping us raise caring, honest, compassionate, and intelligent children.

Varner Elementary School 2

Posted May 20, 2014
If I could have sent my kids to another school or even home schooled them, I would've done it in a heart beat. The front office staff is rude and makes it seem like it is such a chore to help you. Other parents warned me about this school and the unhelpfulness of the office staff, but I had no choice to send them to Varner. I could write more but I just gave myself a headache thinking about the frustration this school has given me.
3 people found this helpful

Posted October 05, 2013
This is our fourth year at Varner. We have a 1st and 3rd grader and both are excelling and reading above grade level. Teachers have been willing and eager to give more challenging work to help them continue to excel rather than allow my kids to get lazy. Every teacher my children have had have been wonderful! More parental involvement would be great but those parents I have volunteered with have been awesome.

Posted October 04, 2013
What a wonderful start to the 2013 school year. This is our 4th year at Varner. The teachers are excited to teach and are embracing the new Common Core. I appreciate the attention and fast response from my daughters teacher when I have questions about homework. I think the Principals Breakfast is a wonderful way to recognize students accomplishments. Mrs.Lair the new assistant principal is very personable and took the time to address my concerns about the increased class size. The only thing I see it that Varner needs more parent involvement. A few years ago I feel like there was much more parent involvement. - We love being part of this community and school!

Varner Elementary School 3

Posted May 17, 2013
Varner school doesn't give homework on Friday. Student can easy get lasy. The school should set focus on 2 areas at least : reading and math every day + have student write a paragraph of their readings. As for teachers, they do not even follow up with homework.

Varner Elementary School 1

Posted March 08, 2013
So glad my son doesn't go here anymore. Varner... What comes to mind? Uppity attitudes & lackluster school... Besides a few caring people just so glad we have moved away and moved on. Whenever I think of the dreaded experience with this school I just breathe a sigh of relief it's over!

Posted February 05, 2013
This is the 2nd year my children has attended. I have a 3rd grader/Kindergarten. The staff/administrators have been very professional and always voice their concern when your child has any issues. We moved from another Cobb school. As far as academics, this school has meet my expectations. I've noticed this school offers more challenging areas of study then the recent school my son attended. My oldest is in Target program since he was in his 1st grade at the old school and I can tell you the other school was not as challenging enough for my child. My kindergartener, it's his first year at Varner. Compared to what my oldest was taught in the other school, Varner has advanced the way kindergarten is learning. When school started for my kindergartener (he attended preK at a daycare for 1 month), he only knew a few alphabet letters and numbers. After three months, he has learned all the alphabets and knows how to count to 100! My support as well as education given from teachers on top of your child willingly to learn is always a key to your child's success. Reason why I did not give 5 stars,there's no such thing as "perfect". I hope many more good yrs from this school.

Varner Elementary School 1

Posted November 17, 2012
The principal is a phoney, arrogant woman. She tells the parents what they want to hear to keep them happy. The teachers are good at their job, but miserable working there. The principal plays favorites with the teachers. She lets the parents walk all over her because she has had so many parent complaints.

Varner Elementary School
4761 Gaydon Rd, Powder Springs, GA  30127
Last modified Varner Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Varner Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 63 reviews. Top