Richmond Hill High School

Public | 9-12

Posted January 24, 2014

This is not as great a school as I had hoped. Let me first start off with saying the teachers for the most part are GREAT. My son struggles and has a LD though and the school is on a block schedule. They go at a VERY fast pace and it is hard for my child to keep up bc of this. Very long class periods as well. Counselors are only minimally helpful. Class sizes are also very large at 30 kids per teacher. School doesn't have the technology you would expect either. Can't wait to move and get back to a standard schedule of 6 classes. There is some bullying and kids are disrespectful, but it isn't an issue for my child. If you have a child that struggles to focus in school or has a LD I would consider a different school. Once your child is in the block schedule you are basically stuck to finish off he year since online schools,etc don't follow that type of schedule. It would also be a HUGE problem if you have to move in the middle of the year.

Posted November 6, 2013

I've been in the Bryan County school system my whole life and I honestly hate it. This school fails to bring to light the racial issues that plague our hallways daily and it is absolutely ridiculous. This school is very unorganized and changes teachers and classes much too often. Our athletics are okay, but they are biased to just the football team. This school places too much emphasis on sports and dress code more than they do to academics, bullying and actual problems. Basically, if you do not play a sport, you do not matter. If you or your child is a minority like myself, I strongly advise you to not make them go to a school where there is daily unnecessary prejudice. I hate this school and I know exactly why people kill themselves from being in an environment similar to this.

Posted June 4, 2013

I graduated recently (class of 2013), and I can confidently say that this high school is loaded with opportunity. They added 5+ AP courses just last year. There are tons of clubs and did I mention the AP classes!?!? The new principal is looking to further improve this school, so look out! By the way, this school is disciplinary superior to the Savannah schools. Everyone is well-behaved.

Posted May 8, 2013

Absolutely without a doubt one of the best, if not the best high school's in Georgia. I am the parent of a an 11th grader currently,senior next fall, he has struggled all through school, he is learning disabled.I have met or talked with many teachers,counselors,coaches,principal and assistant principals the last two years.I never left the school thinking anything less than impressed,amazed at how they do it and thankful my child is enrolled in one terrific school.Student enrollment for the 2012/2013 year is/was 1901 teenagers.The teachers,staff and coaches respect these kids ( for the most part) and from eveything I've seen, the students(for the most part) return that respect back.Most, if not all teachers take a personal interest in each students success, and how they do that with 1900 kids, I don't have a clue.Never hear of drug issue,gang issue,nothing really.Most kids are involved in a sport or band or ROTC, something, and all these activities are taught or coached or managed by some of the most dedicated,hardworking caring people I've come across in quite some time.I truly believe that kids see this dedication,see the sweat,hear the compliments and feed off that. I LOVE RHHS

Posted May 7, 2013

I've been graduated from the school for almost 3 years. The staff can be a bit strict, but there were always some teachers that stood out among the rest. They placed more importance on education than discipline. The school prepares you well for college. Where many other college students struggled, I succeeded because my high school prepared me enough for the future. The football team was mostly terrible, but all the other sports teams were pretty great. I didn't like the school very much while I attended, but ultimately I am glad I stuck with it. Preparing your children for future education is extremely important, and I'm glad my parents had me attend this school system.

Posted August 24, 2012

School is blessed by good demographics in South Bryan County. On average, wealthier and better educated parents than most areas of Georgia. This allows the school to coast and not put any extra effort into education. The district is more of a good ol' boy style of governance. That is why the faculty and administration at the school is all white despite a more diverse population. Also, they value athletics over education. They recently hired two coaches with no education training to teach classes.

Posted September 7, 2011

We will be moving to Richmond hills fromSeoul, South Korea in Feb. Our daughter is in the Ninth Grade and we are AD Army. This will be her third school in 3years. I am praying for an easy transition and would love some contacts earlier than our arrival. I have contacted her Guidance Counselor who has been very helpful. Livia plays soccer, tennis and is in JrROTC. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank You. Debbie Chapman Proud Army Wife To an EOD Soldier

Posted September 26, 2010

We moved to Richmond Hill from Savannah, specifically for the schools, when my daughter was in middle school. She graduated from RHHS with the "college prep with distinction" diploma. She and all of her friends were college-bound and were accepted at great colleges. Some of the special highlights of RHHS are fantastic technology programs and art programs. Due to these fantastic programs & teachers, my daughter won an international media award (web design) in 10th grade, and went on to graduate from Savannah College of Art & Design with a painting major, art history minor. She's currently developing her first solo art exhibit for a gallery. RHHS = Success!

Posted October 14, 2009

I am a graduate of the old RHHS, which became RHMS a year later. I am proud of this school after all of these years. We have always joked that we attended a private school without the uniform because of the very strict policy with attendance, attitude, parent involvement and teacher accountability. I am glad to see that additioanl courses have been added and as soon as I move back into the state, here is where I will be sending my children to school. Diversity has always been a big issue, but the opportunities for everyone to join clubs, sports and other groups are unquestionable. If a parent has an issue, they would see action and support from the staff. Great job Richmond Hill!

Posted October 2, 2008

High expectations for achievement and accountability in a disciplined environment.

Posted August 23, 2008

I have a Sophomore and an eighth grader attending Richmond Hill High and Junior High and they have been attending for a year. I am active duty military and my children have attended many different schools across the country and overseas. Richmond Hill outranks all of them. My Sophomore went from failing grades to induction into the National Honor Society. I credit that to the outstanding support the teachers provide to the students. I also give great credit to JROTC leaders and department as a whole. Their mentorship and guidance and redirected her education goals and life values. The Junior High maintains the same standards. Big cudos to the Richmond Hill Education team!

Posted August 1, 2008

I am the parent of 1 graduate & 1 going in the 9th grade. We love the school & the teachers! ROTC is great for the students also.

Posted July 2, 2008

Both of my children are recent graduates of RHHS. Both had great high school experiences and I was very pleased with the academic focus of the school. Professional, highly qualified staff. Good communication (emails) from teachers who apparently really care about their students. No nonsense discipline policies provide structured learning environment. Many sports and extracurricular clubs for students to choose. School is well supported by community and there are many opportunities for parental involvement.

Posted January 31, 2008

i love this school and i miss it soooooo much

Posted November 15, 2007

I graduated last year from RHHS. The teachers and administration strive to aid kids in growing to their fullest potential in the core academic field. However, as noted by others, there is little diversity. As an artistic student, with a thirst for gaining more knowledge in the field I plan to work with for the rest of my life, a school like RHHS is only a disappointment. It seems that the system is unable to keep a hold onto a good music director, and there are very limited classes in any art department. Most of the sports do fairly well, apart from the football team, but that can't be blamed on the kids.

Posted June 22, 2007

JROTC and Driver Education have been added to the school curriculum. The school ranks in the top 10% of all high schools in Georgia. It is a no-nonsense, learning focused school. The community is very supportive and has high expectations of the school.

Posted September 18, 2006

My kid has been in this school for a year. the discipline looks very good in this school. I like the way there are always teachers walking around to direct the traffic at morning time. the band is nice but there is a need to improve for their football team.

Posted January 20, 2005

I graduated from Richmond Hill High School. I enjoyed it greatly and learned a lot from the school and staff. The greatest part, though, is the boys tennis team. If you enjoy a good round of tennis, and nice cold cola, come to our school and join the boys tennis team. Coach Pat Paruso definately stays on top of things and gets the job done while making your experience fun-filled. The academic aspect of the school is also very amazing. The chorus is very good and will continue to improve under the direction of Betsy Dalton. The chorus is much better than the band, under the direction of David Keith.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 3, 2004

I am a student at RHHS, and a Senior. We have added many new programs, teachers, and class rooms to our school this year including but not limited to: Forensics, Mythology, Driver's ED, JROTC, and much more. The football team is not the greatest, but the band is one of the best in the state. RHHS is predominatly white. There are many clubs and organizations for students, though take note there is no GBLT group. The Military Student Transition team is for kids moving via-military parent(s) and is made up of students at the highschool to help those students make an easier transistion. If you are military, consider contacting the group via RHHS's web page. Overall, it is one of the best schools in the surrounding areas. While it has it's downside, the education is fabulous, and the honors/AP program wonderful.

Posted September 28, 2004

Im currently a student at RHHS. Its a really great academic school and the people here are really nice but thats about where it ends. There is no diversity amongst the students as well as the staff. And as a african american female I sometimes feel that I have to prove my academic excellence to my peers and that I have to push myself that much harder to be viewed the same as the people that surround me.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

368 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2011.

366 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 93% in 2011.

368 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 80% in 2011.

367 students were tested at this school in 2011.

2009

Scale: % at or above passing

In 2010-2011 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) in English language arts, math, science and social studies to students in grade 11. The GHSGT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass all parts of the GHSGT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 95% in 2013.

358 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Writing Test (GHSWT) to students in grade 11. The GHSWT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass the GHSWT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

253 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

178 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

266 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

274 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

164 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

257 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

244 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

266 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1 Wildcat Dr