Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

I wish I could give three ratings for this school--one for the academics (5 stars), though lots of testing; a second for the student environment (2 stars), because of the inappropriate language, sexual commentary, and just gross stuff my kids come home asking about (I don't know what some of these middle school kids are exposed to, to gain this "information"; and third, the teachers (4 stars)--both my kids have enjoyed all their teachers, who seem caring and motivated. I would also say other parents are right on regarding the district's focus on sports, as well as the occasional difficulty in communication--I, too, have had to make multiple attempts via email. And new parents should know that RHMS does support "tracking" for lack of a better word. There is the regular level, enrichment level, advanced level, and a gifted level. In our several years here, we have experienced three of these levels, and I want to make clear that the regular level here is MORE demanding and rigorous than our three previous schools.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are evaluated on their students' state test scores, so they want them to learn and test well. My kids have learned a lot attending RHMS. i am happy with their academic achievement. Not much creativity, though, in the classroom.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Both my kids have homework every night--between 45-90 minutes. And because kids don't get home until after 4pm, if your kids have sports or dance, etc, that leaves zero down time...

Develops character: Neutral

I did not appreciate that ALL students were not invited to award assemblies. Occasionally the entire class or team is punished when it is the responsibility of a small number of students.

I find the schools website to be hard to find information needed. The social side of the school is horrible. Bullying and adult conversation is absurd to say the least. The kids run wild without the proper supervision. When my child was hit by another student while waiting in the car rider line the school did nothing about it. This was not the 1st time this happened. Overall very unhappy with this school.

The teachers/staff are great but the students appear to run wild. My child comes home telling me about the kids using vulgar language, constantly talking about sex, targeting and bullying. Bryan county BOA needs to step in and take control of this mess. We moved to Richmond Hill because of the schools but I'm beginning to regret it.

Just came into the school the last part of the year due to a military move. I am pleased with the education itself and the teachers have been wonderful. However, the social aspect isn't so great. There seems to be a lot of student bullying, cursing and inappropriate adult humor for this age from the stories I am hearing. Can't tell you how many times I've had to explain something that I never thought I would have to for a middle schooler. I know times are changing but wow. Also a very athletics oriented school. After a few months here, still undecided on whether this is the "best school" in the area as I heard a lot when looking into it. But, love Richmond Hill itself - a great community.

WONDERFUL, I've gone there for 2 years and i have 2 brothers that go there, and the atmosphere is wonderful, there are so many nice people and the teachers may seem mean but they get nicer as the year goes on. RHMS has so many clubs and athletics that you will never have a dull moment in the week! It doesn't have the best food but you can always get a lunch! anyways i love the school and I'd send my kids there!

My child has never attended a school that does not include the whole student body in its awards ceremony. Even though this school is pretty on the outside, it lacks effort in promoting equality. If your child has a Educational Service Plan (ESP) this might not be the right school for he/she. RHMS counselor's have the worst attitude when it comes to understanding your child needs and does not listen or work well with parents when developing the best plan for your child. My child was taking honors classes at the previous school, but this school refused to realized it because she has a ESP. Most states have become a part of the Interstate Compact which supports military children transition into their new school. This school does the oppose it. The school counselor called my child previous school and the counselor told her my child earned and was more than capable of continue taking her honor classes. The counselor disregarded the comments and did what she felt was best. I don't know if race plays a role in her attitude, but I felt my child had attended a school that was twenty years behind times. Plant a good seed and it will produce good fruit.

It is amazing.its like a palace and provides amazing education. Everyone knows and is nice to everybody. Teaches go out of their way to help students. Everybody exceeds the standards. I love RHMS because it is an extraordinary school!

Last modified Richmond Hill Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.