Oliver Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted December 12, 2012

I wish I could give this school a negative score. I have had my child at this school for 3 months and it has been nothing but problems. The teachers really dont care about anything until you tell them you will call the school board on them. My child was beat up in class and no one did or said any thing about it. Please dont send your child here I am taking my child out asap and putting her in a charter school.

Posted December 6, 2012

The school is finally coming back around to it's standard of excellence overall since the new principal started. The environment feels more family oriented. Parents are able to go in and visit their children in class, volunteer and get to know their kid;s classmates. It feels better than previous years. The academic standards are still high, as usual. I am a proud parent of Oliver students. It's the best public school in Clayton County.

Posted July 13, 2012

I have had a child at Oliver continuously since the '06-'07 school year in which my daughter was a 1st grader. She often struggled during the 1st couple of years due to her being younger than all the other students in her grade level, but was always given excellent effort from both the faculty and staff at E.W. Oliver. She has since moved on to middle school at Elite Scholars Academy and I dare say that without the superior foundation that was layed by Oliver she would not have been accepted at Elite. My son is a rising 2nd grader and has easily excelled during his 1st 2 years of elem. school. Oliver is a school that has teachers who truly care about their students and is able to cater to your child regardless of their level of need. It truly saddens me to think about having to leave the Oliver school district as my family searches for our 1st home to purchase because the homes we are interested in purchasing simply don't exist in the district.

Posted November 6, 2011

This school is pushing so hard to be the top sch in Clayton Co. that they are over working the kids & their parents. My kindergartner has so much homework on a daily bases that takes her a few hours to complete. No my child is not slow, in fact she is very bright &one of few to be selected for accelerated testing. Her after school has complained about the amount homework she has which cause them to spend a substantial amount of time with her alone; they state she has more hmwrk than some 1st & 2nd graders.more hmwrk is not going to make my child smarter. She is already feeling burnt out. The 3 hrs I have with my child everyday b4 bedtime is mostly spent on hmwrk & projects. Speaking of projects, my kindergartner HAS to complete a science project for the science fair which includes a proposal, a research paper & a project on a poster board! Yes, 5&6yo who are just learning to read & write sentences have to RESEARCH info. & write a page including a hypothesis & cites. I was told this is mandatory. They did not give my 6yo a project, but they gave me a project to do! After Bible study on Wed I dare not make her stay up past her bt to complete hrs of wrk something needs to be done.

Posted December 1, 2010

I transferred my child from Riverdale Elementary to E.W. Oliver after he completed Pre-K. The move has made all the difference. While he was at Riverdale Elementary he started to revert; whereas since starting Oliver, he has surpassed his classmates on all levels! The teachers there are the best I've seen in the county. Having worked as a substitute in every elementary school in Clayton County, I can see the difference. When there are great teachers who promote an environment for success, children will do just that, succeed. It may take a while to adjust to the new principal, but I think parents and staff have decided to work with her instead of against her. Even the Campus Kids program is exceptional at Oliver. They try to keep the kids stimulated and plan fun things to do after homework is done. A lot of after care programs simply provide homework assistance, if that, then nothing afterwards. So, if you're looking for a great public school for your kids, I definately recommend E.W. Oliver.

Posted August 26, 2010

The teachers are great but the front office however is another story. The Administrative Assistant is totally unprofessional and unorganized. The front office alone makes me want to transfer my child. The teachers and they way that they teach are great. I took my child from a private school and put her in E.W. Oliver and I cant tell the difference. However, the PTA seems to be a popularity club. The parents seem to be in clicks. Also, your kids will probably not get chosen for any activities unless you are involved in these parent PTA clicks.

Posted June 1, 2010

Dr. Boykin was the best thing to have happened to Oliver. He knew every single student by name and knew what their academic levels were. The AP Program was a good program...hate that they did away with it and Dr. Boykin. My son was in kindergarten and first grade at Oliver and it started him on the right path. Homework helps to keep a child focused. There is plenty of time to play after homework.

Posted July 13, 2008

This school is the best elementary school I've ever been to. They do so much to help students learn.This place is truly amazing. They are teaching all kids how to be stock brokers. I've been going to Oliver since Kindergarten and because of them, I'm in all advanced classes at my school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 23, 2007

This school is awesome! I'm a student here. this school has made me a better person!
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 19, 2007

I am very pleased with Oliver so far. We are new to this school & this school district & I had heard that the schools in Clayton County are terrible. Well Oliver is truely the diamond in the rough! The principle is outstanding & the teachers are very nurturing & loving. My daughter is in 3rd grade and excelling in math for the first time. My daughter enjoys this school & seldom mentions her old school anymore.

Posted November 7, 2007

I love this school it challenges my son to think outside the box. I think it's great

Posted August 23, 2007

Given the fact that the county we are currently in already falls below average compared to the other counties, I believe that requiring our children to be disciplined, even in the lunch room is preparing them to be disciplined when they leave elementary school. I have three children at E.W. Oliver and am extremely pleased with their progress. As far as wanting them to have time to be kids, don't they get enough of that already? I commend Dr. Boykins for having the courage to elevate our thinking. I encourage parents to go to other schools (ex. Spring Hill Elementary in Fayette County); you will notice the level of excellence there. Finally about AP, I have a daughter in the program and am looking forward to my son and other daughter to be in it as well. Too much homework? Come on, Life's tough. Let's get them ready.

Posted August 22, 2007

I have a son that attends Oliver. He started there as a kindergartner now he is in the 4th grade. I have mixed emotions about Oliver. The school is great far as safety and academic. The teachers are also wonderful. They keep you up to date when it comes to you child (ren). I also believe that a kid should be a kid. I disagree very strongly about no talking at lunch. Well, when will they be able to talk! Need more PE. After school program is terrible. The kids are in the lunch room with their heads down. Once again, no talking. The principal focus more on the AP students and their goals. How ever my son is not in AP he is great in math. We decided not let him participate in that program. Too much homework already. No time to be a kid.

Posted July 2, 2007

Although I have to agree that academically this school is outstanding, I believe that academics alone does not create the leaders of the future. These kids are pushed to the breaking point without the opportunity to go outside, and they only get PE twice a week every two weeks. No talk lunches-every day. The kids need time to be kids!

Posted May 5, 2007

This school is not at all what it seem. The principal does not support all of the students. He place all of his concerns on the AP students.

Posted September 19, 2006

The quality of academic programs are excellent at E.W. Oliver, our children are being challenge each and everyday a grade above their current grade level. Oliver has a high parent s involvement. E.W. Oliver has Challenge Math 'Math Fest' Science, Music, Art, and Sports available at the school.

Posted May 22, 2006

I have 2 kids in this School and hope to enroll my 3rd one here as well. The Teachers are great and the Principal is a very friendly people orientated person, (open door policy. My kids have done very well this year and that is all thanks to their respective home room teachers.

Posted May 1, 2006

All of my grandchildren have attended E.W.Oliver with the last one in the 3rd grade this year. I have noticed that high expectations still exist for the students. Teachers are teaching due to the excellent leadership of their principal who expects all students to excel. The only thing I dislike is that once they leave Oliver, the middle schools for them to attend are not on the same level as Oliver. All students are given the opportunity to explore in completing projects for science, social studies, and language arts.

Posted January 3, 2005

I was VERY skeptic about transfering my sons from a private school to Oliver, since I had heard a negative report from a close family member. BOY! WAS I WRONG!! The principal, as well as the staff, are very involved in seeing the children improve. One thing that really helped me to see, was that they will challenge the children to be and do better. And my sons, love it because they are not only just doing the norm, but more.

Posted July 12, 2004

I have a student who is returning to this school for the 3rd grade, I highly recommend this school because the curriculum offers advanced placement in Math and Science. My son has been placed in this program since the 2nd grade and has excelled wonderfully! The principal and staff have tremendous knowledge and offer a pleasant learrning environment for students to excel. The Ap MAth program will allow my son to continue working at a grade level above his current grade ensuring AP Calculus by the 12th grade! I am very pleased with this schooll and highly recommend others to attend!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

110 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

109 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

110 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

125 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

127 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

126 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

99 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

117 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

• Kathleen Truitt
Fax number
  • (770) 994-4014

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Note: Data provided by school administrators and community.
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Sports

Girls sports
  • Gymnastics
Note: Data provided by school administrators and community.
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1725 Cheryl Leigh Dr