No rating

Darlington School

Private | PK-12

Living in Rome

Situated in a small town neighborhood. The median home value is $95,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $675.

Posted Thursday, August 14, 2014

I have been a student at Darlington for the past six years and feel the need to share the story of my disastrous experience. I can truthfully say that the education I received was NOT worth the money or the disrespect I was subjected to daily. The administration does not care for the students wellbeing but rather their own reputation. On the first day of my junior year, four years into my Darlington career, the dean of students asked me if it was my first day. I would not have been offended if I had not been introduced to him multiple times in the previous years. This is only a small example of what I was put through in my years here. The teacher quality was poor as they would continuously hire new teachers with no experience directly out of college. The campus is beautiful on the outside but the inside of the buildings need repairs desperately. I hope this review helps make the best decisions for your child.

Posted February 7, 2014

I have been a Darlington parent in lower grades for 4 years. While no place is perfect, I do feel this is the best place for my children. Darlington has been able to engage my individual children and help each of them grow. The facilities, safety, technology, overall opportunities and professionalism of teachers are unmatched in this town. There are areas that could use improvement, I am confident that the new leadership is poised to make great strides.

Posted November 24, 2013

Beautiful facilities but lower grades not treated as fairly when it comes to perks. Way over priced and not competitive with other area private schools with no good Explanation on why. The education is not that above the other private schools. Financial Aid is a joke. No discount for multiple children. Communication lacks but is improving. My child loves the school but he has known no other school. They are working hard on the Learning center which I commend. They are finally realize even Darlington kids need academic help for various reasons like learning disabilities. If they would lower tuition, provide multi child discount, and realize they have to compete with other private schools in area then I think Darlingtons low enrollment in lower grades would increase dramatically!

Posted September 14, 2013

Beautiful campus. Impressive sports facilities, no performance facility, despite impressive orchestra and drama department. Excellent teachers in lower school, less professional in middle school. Upper school: Outstanding Env. Science teacher, theatre teacher. English heads are pompous and break rather than build student spirit. Learning Center is joke.Parents paying for tutoring (on top of $17/$40k tuition is common and necessary, particularly in physics and math. Spanish teacher is known to leer at female students. Has been reported numorous times but is treated as tenured. Known also for bullying males. AD and coaches are held on a pedistal but are poor classroom instructors. Academies tend to insulate players. Dorm/day students are given chance to bond, particularly through winter Rumpus festivity, but day students (and it appears day parents) often avoid international students. Excellent House system herdsall 9-12 graders into large family grouping with dorm parents ranging from excellent to temperamental. A group of dorm students is emerging with frat like induction and rogue conduct. It needs to be addressed. Admin is caring, devoted, but control led by certain alum.

Posted February 27, 2012

I am the parent of two Darlington grads, 1994 and 1996. Both received outstanding educations and were well prepared for college.The academics are rigorous. Our older child was treated for a serious illness that resulted in absences that would have resulted in his losing a year in most public schools. Darlington worked with us to keep him with his original graduating year. He also was accepted to his first choice college. Due to his illness, he never had the opportunity to do much in sports and never was on a varsity team. However, the baseball coach made a long trip to see him and bring him a baseball autographed by the team members during one of his hospital stays. That is typical of the attitude of the faculty at Darlington.

Posted October 25, 2011

My daughter currently attends Darlington. Academics are the BEST in the area and the facilities are amazing. Expensive school but worth the money. The only reason I did not give it a full five stars is because Darlington can be very close minded when it comes to hiring "outside of the alumni". The school doesn't want to reach out to non-alumni who have a lot to offer with volunteering, ideas, or for hiring. When outsiders such as myself try to reach out to the upper management, we are ignored. Very hard to break into this school unless you are an alumni..wich is very sad.

Posted October 17, 2011

I attended Darlington as a boarding student and graduated in '99. Darlington has a great tradition of preparing students to be ready for the next step, college. Darlington was also a huge athletic school. The facilitys are second to none. It is only fair to say that Darlington is the best all around boarding, day, coed school in the country!

Posted March 30, 2011

The School here is filled with prejeduces. People are 2 faced and ecspecially the people that are in high office at this school. If you want you kids to be happy never send them here.

Posted March 1, 2011

I hope I will someday get over my rage at how horribly I was treated at this institution. I would not send a farm animal to this school, much less a child. They sabotaged my chances of getting into a good college (which I did despite of them), but I will always have a permanent scar from my experience there. Thinking back to it I just want to cry at how horrifically I was treated by the administration. They put on a very good show, and let you pay lots and lots of money, and then completely turn they're back on you or treat you horribly when parents leave. The whole thing makes me sick. If you have any respect for your child, don't send them here. I am still in therapy for how bad my experience was, and I am not the only one.

Posted December 16, 2010

Can't wait to graduate come May and get out of this place. Decent academics and all, but Its the deep South, we can't forget it. One token Black teacher, the rest are 'in their place' in the kitchen and grounds'. I'm embarrassed and uncomfortable, but we learn to 'keep our heads low', do the work and move on. The assumption if you are here and Black, you are on athletic scholarship, a few are on academic scholarship. A lot of rich spoiled kids from old slave money who still think like their grandfathers. Lot of rich Asian kids too. I could never get used to this town. If you're not careful, with the hair policy and dress policy, they'd knock the Black out of you. Still two systems for everything in this part of the world.

Posted April 25, 2010

Our child is so fortunate to be on the receiving end of amazingly devoted, attentive, talented and dedicated teachers and coaches and the entire staff. She has received a multitude of opportunities to learn and experience and prepare for her future both in and out of the classroom. We trust the professionalism of the staff and their willingness to go above and beyond all that is expected of them from the parents and students. We feel confident in the knowledge that she is safe, secure and most certainly, happy, in her home away from home at Darlington. The academic growth and maturity we have seen in her in just one year has been absolutely stunning!

Posted December 10, 2009

As a proud parent of 2 middle school students, I know that Darlington is an exceptional school. Yes, it has beautiful buildings and a brilliant campus, but it's what happens inside those those places that make the school so wonderful. The teachers are capable and extremely caring. Our children are happy to get up and go to school every day. They are learning not only about the world in which we live, but also about themselves. They never knew they had artistic ability until their art teacher helped them find it. They are involved in sports that they didn't play before because the coach/teacher encouraged them to try out. They are learning that even though they are the center of my world, there is a whole other world out there - and they are excited about making it a better place.

Posted October 5, 2009

Darlington's Motto: Wisdom More Than Knowledge Service Beyond Self Honor Above Everything is embodied not only by the staff but by the students and parents. The entire Darlington Family (past and present) lives by these tenants. So, in addition to being an academically challenging environment, the students who attend leave with the knowledge that it is how they impact the world around them that holds the highest reward.

Posted July 22, 2009

I have had one child graduate has done so well in college! It was a wonderful 13 years! going to law school now-I have other kids at Darlington-It is the best school in Rome by far and the teachers are wonderful-There is no comparison here to the lower school (pre k-4th) It is a warm place and each school at Darlington prepares you for the school ahead-My son that graduated was definantly prepared for college-went in with ease-This is not a school for children with learning disabilities but they are working to get there so if your child has any learning needs-I would recommend and outside tutor. Overall Darlington is a warm wonderful place with alot of parent involvement.

Posted January 15, 2009

As an alumnus, I can tell you the experience was exceptional not only from a learning standpoint but a life preparation standpoint. I was well prepared for college and graduated in 3 years with honors. I have looked at the other comments and they left me scratching my head. Then I noticed they were comments from the parents. Regardless of wear you go or what you do, you get what you give and I would bet that the parents and their students put forth a sub-standard effort.

Posted November 12, 2008

I think Darlington's in transition, and I question what direction it is headed. Academically, is is impressive. Facilities are phenomenal. Teachers range from excellent to unfit. Sports and cheerleading are grossly overfocused upon. There's a move to prioritize community service and global philanthropy--a great thing! But the school I knew 5 years ago groomed considerate students who valued academic excellence and valued the top student equally with the jock, the jill, the artist and the free spirit. Now, it is dominated by jocks, jills, and cliques. If there were any comparable choices, I'd send my daughter elsewhere, I'm sad to say.

Posted September 3, 2008

The school has great facilities, but that is about all that can be said for this school. They say they have a learning center, but they do not actually work with the children that need the help. The teachers lack the ability to want to teach children that need extra help. They do not go out of their way to help. The price is not worth what you get. Way overpriced. we would never put our children back in Darlington where we could not trust teachers or administrators to be up front and honest.

Posted March 25, 2008

Exceptional School, exceptional teachers and administration, sports are good but students are slow to get involved. Areas they lack in are Music, Science, public speaking and security of the students. Ask for donations but are not demanding of it.

Posted July 18, 2007

Highly professional yet warm and caring. Has the most qualified teachers in the business, my daughters 8th grade English Teacher has a Masters from Harvard! Boarders and Day students get along great, no separation of the two. The facilities are outstanding, the scholarships are in the high millions for only about 120 graduates each year, colleges compete for Darlingtons elite graduates with three digit scholarship money. When students graduate from Darlington their first year of college will be a vacation, especially for the boarders. Darlington's dedicated staff/administration/board of trustees has actually managed to get everything as right as humanly possible in a high school. The use of technology is cutting edge. They have outstanding music and art opportunities. They also have soccer, tennis, volleyball, crew and softball, and everything mention in the first review! Check out their web site, and you'll quickly see they are heads above the rest.

Posted April 17, 2006

It is obvious that Darlington has the best educational program in Georgia. Plus, with their residential program, high school aged students from all over the world can attend Darlington and benefit from what it has to offer. It is not only all about academics, however. They offer the following sports and activities: football, basketball, baseball, lacrosse, cross country, track and field, swimming, marching band, steel drum band, and a school play that takes place three times a year. Parents can choose to be involved or as uninvolved as they wish. Parents are welcome to visit their children whenever they please, and often have much say in what goes on in their child's life at Darlington. In terms of boarding school, it is the best option out there.
—Submitted by a former student

Asian 7% 2%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab