Darlington School 1

Posted August 14, 2014
I have been a student at Darlington for the past six years and feel the need to share the story of my disastrous experience. I can truthfully say that the education I received was NOT worth the money or the disrespect I was subjected to daily. The administration does not care for the students wellbeing but rather their own reputation. On the first day of my junior year, four years into my Darlington career, the dean of students asked me if it was my first day. I would not have been offended if I had not been introduced to him multiple times in the previous years. This is only a small example of what I was put through in my years here. The teacher quality was poor as they would continuously hire new teachers with no experience directly out of college. The campus is beautiful on the outside but the inside of the buildings need repairs desperately. I hope this review helps make the best decisions for your child.
3 people found this helpful

Darlington School 4

Posted February 07, 2014
I have been a Darlington parent in lower grades for 4 years. While no place is perfect, I do feel this is the best place for my children. Darlington has been able to engage my individual children and help each of them grow. The facilities, safety, technology, overall opportunities and professionalism of teachers are unmatched in this town. There are areas that could use improvement, I am confident that the new leadership is poised to make great strides.

Darlington School 3

Posted November 24, 2013
Beautiful facilities but lower grades not treated as fairly when it comes to perks. Way over priced and not competitive with other area private schools with no good Explanation on why. The education is not that above the other private schools. Financial Aid is a joke. No discount for multiple children. Communication lacks but is improving. My child loves the school but he has known no other school. They are working hard on the Learning center which I commend. They are finally realize even Darlington kids need academic help for various reasons like learning disabilities. If they would lower tuition, provide multi child discount, and realize they have to compete with other private schools in area then I think Darlingtons low enrollment in lower grades would increase dramatically!

Darlington School 3

Posted September 14, 2013
Beautiful campus. Impressive sports facilities, no performance facility, despite impressive orchestra and drama department. Excellent teachers in lower school, less professional in middle school. Upper school: Outstanding Env. Science teacher, theatre teacher. English heads are pompous and break rather than build student spirit. Learning Center is joke.Parents paying for tutoring (on top of $17/$40k tuition is common and necessary, particularly in physics and math. Spanish teacher is known to leer at female students. Has been reported numorous times but is treated as tenured. Known also for bullying males. AD and coaches are held on a pedistal but are poor classroom instructors. Academies tend to insulate players. Dorm/day students are given chance to bond, particularly through winter Rumpus festivity, but day students (and it appears day parents) often avoid international students. Excellent House system herdsall 9-12 graders into large family grouping with dorm parents ranging from excellent to temperamental. A group of dorm students is emerging with frat like induction and rogue conduct. It needs to be addressed. Admin is caring, devoted, but control led by certain alum.

Darlington School 5

Posted February 27, 2012
I am the parent of two Darlington grads, 1994 and 1996. Both received outstanding educations and were well prepared for college.The academics are rigorous. Our older child was treated for a serious illness that resulted in absences that would have resulted in his losing a year in most public schools. Darlington worked with us to keep him with his original graduating year. He also was accepted to his first choice college. Due to his illness, he never had the opportunity to do much in sports and never was on a varsity team. However, the baseball coach made a long trip to see him and bring him a baseball autographed by the team members during one of his hospital stays. That is typical of the attitude of the faculty at Darlington.

Darlington School 4

Posted October 25, 2011
My daughter currently attends Darlington. Academics are the BEST in the area and the facilities are amazing. Expensive school but worth the money. The only reason I did not give it a full five stars is because Darlington can be very close minded when it comes to hiring "outside of the alumni". The school doesn't want to reach out to non-alumni who have a lot to offer with volunteering, ideas, or for hiring. When outsiders such as myself try to reach out to the upper management, we are ignored. Very hard to break into this school unless you are an alumni..wich is very sad.

Darlington School 5

Posted October 17, 2011
I attended Darlington as a boarding student and graduated in '99. Darlington has a great tradition of preparing students to be ready for the next step, college. Darlington was also a huge athletic school. The facilitys are second to none. It is only fair to say that Darlington is the best all around boarding, day, coed school in the country!

Darlington School 2

Posted March 30, 2011
The School here is filled with prejeduces. People are 2 faced and ecspecially the people that are in high office at this school. If you want you kids to be happy never send them here.

Darlington School 1

Posted March 01, 2011
I hope I will someday get over my rage at how horribly I was treated at this institution. I would not send a farm animal to this school, much less a child. They sabotaged my chances of getting into a good college (which I did despite of them), but I will always have a permanent scar from my experience there. Thinking back to it I just want to cry at how horrifically I was treated by the administration. They put on a very good show, and let you pay lots and lots of money, and then completely turn they're back on you or treat you horribly when parents leave. The whole thing makes me sick. If you have any respect for your child, don't send them here. I am still in therapy for how bad my experience was, and I am not the only one.

Darlington School 2

Posted December 16, 2010
Can't wait to graduate come May and get out of this place. Decent academics and all, but Its the deep South, we can't forget it. One token Black teacher, the rest are 'in their place' in the kitchen and grounds'. I'm embarrassed and uncomfortable, but we learn to 'keep our heads low', do the work and move on. The assumption if you are here and Black, you are on athletic scholarship, a few are on academic scholarship. A lot of rich spoiled kids from old slave money who still think like their grandfathers. Lot of rich Asian kids too. I could never get used to this town. If you're not careful, with the hair policy and dress policy, they'd knock the Black out of you. Still two systems for everything in this part of the world.

Darlington School