4-12|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

There isn't another school who takes care of their kids as well as The Cottage School: academically, socially, emotionally and prevocationally! Each child is encouraged to expand their strengths and work on areas for growth with an amazing team of teachers and a community family who fosters trust and security. Kids who have a tough time in school are nurtured through adolescence and find success...it doesn't get any better than that!!
October 20, 2010

Bad
Good

My son came to TCS in 7th grade and is now an 8th grader. He has thrived at this school. The ms doesn't have more than 10 kids in a class so they get a lot of individual attention, are very organized with a daily agendas and very caring supportive teachers. They have a system that pays them(on paper) and they need "money" to go on field trips. It totally works because they want to be able to go to off campus. This school is perfect for a student that doesn't necessary do well in public school. My son has ADHD and I have no doubt he would of not been successful in public school. I saw a series of failures in my mind before we found TCS and could envision bad grades, wrong crowd and a bad situation. This was not about 7th grade but about his future success in life. I highly recommend this school if your child learns in a unique way and needs a caring nurturing environment.

I believe this school takes advantage of parents who are desperate to find help for their children. As middle class parents, we needed help for our child who had mental health problems. This school was not equipped to handle them, and the principal should have known this and told us this. Instead, she accepted him , probably because she needed the tuition. Because we didn't have the money to pay the tuition, we borrowed the money and took advantage of a slight discount if we paid for the semester up front. Two weeks into the semester, our son walked away from the school without them even knowing it, and he had to go to the hospital. We paid $12,000 for two weeks of attendance. The administrator refused to refund any of our money. Imagine how difficult it is to pay for doctors and hospitals to save your child. We would have done anything to help our beautiful boy, and they only hampered our efforts, making us pay $12,000 for two weeks of school. If they really cared about children and families, they would have listened to our pleas. They did not. Their behavior was unethical and unjust.

If your child/teen is in an EAP in a public school and struggling, this is the place for you child/teen. If your child's/teen's grades have gone south and yet you know they can do the work, this is the place for your child/teen. If they are having trouble fitting in or no longer enjoy sports because they're considered - not good enough - this is the school for your child/teen. If they want confidence, to enjoy learning from their teachers, and to participate with other kids/teens in a small classroom structure - this is the school. In addition, the learn accountability - they might not always grasp it but the school has a big focus on this. They have reward trips and activities for those that fulfill their obligations. I can't say enough good things about The Cottage School. The middle-school & teen years are a challenge and The Cottage School is focused on this age group. They have a mix of female and male teachers - great for this age group. We receive a weekly status call from our kids' homeroom teacher not only updating how our kids are doing and upcoming events but answer any questions we might have. This school has been a life-changer for our family of teens!

My son has been at TCS now for almost two years. We came from a public charter school where he was bullied consistently. He was so unhappy socially. And academically with the large size of the class and one teacher he was not getting anything he needed. He never knew what to expect day to day. He felt sad and alone. At TCS he has turned into a very different child. He is organized, responsible and is making great grades. Because of this he is happy and self confident. I could not be more happy with the turnaround we have seen in him. No school is without flaws but I am so thrilled with the close, caring environment he is in. He actually told me one day "mom, the teachers here actually like us!" To top it off the athletic dept is amazing. They have given my son the team experience he has never been able to experience.

The approach draws the most out of my son. The opportunity to be involved in a variety of extra curricular activities, while also getting a specialized education is wonderful. School is not easy for my son, but they work with him to help him succeed.

The Cottage School is exactly what our daughter needed! We are thrilled to have found such a loving, caring and supportive learning environment. We tried public school and another private school close by but they were not good fits for my daughter. She struggles with executive function issues, memory challenges, processing issues and social interactions. Just yesterday she informed me that she was excited to participate in class because 'the teachers see her'. She loves going to school now! That is huge! TCS teaches so much more than the curriculum - they teach lifelong lessons... such as cause/effect, budgeting, social interactions, conflict management/resolution, self advocating, and much more. I would highly recommend TCS - especially if your child seems to 'fall between the cracks' in other learning environments. Tuition is high but right in line with other private schools in the area. But we have found it worth every penny and are glad to reenroll for 2014-2015.

The Cottage School has changed our son's life. The teachers and staff are the best around, and the sports program is top-notch. Worth every dollar spent.

We are so delighted in our second year at The Cottage School. The teachers (are there long term) and really care about their students. Their revolutionary system (where they treat school like a job) empowers students to do their best and to work independently. My child is happy, learning and thriving in middle shool.

Staff very friendly, however tuition is unjustifiably expensive @ ($24,000/yr)....and lunch is extra! My biggest concern academically... that graduates from TCS can perform well at college level in their freshman year at a good 4 year institution. Most graduates go on to Reinhardt Univ., community college and the like, not too many upper tier state institutions. My feeling is that for severely challenged students this school could be a solution, albeit an expensive one!

I was sent here from public school in the 9th grade. My experiences here were nothing but a joke. Sometimes I look back and feel I learned little in my high school career. Half of the kids are 'special needs' and are spoon fed the A's, and the other half are behavioral problems and arent in an environment where they can succeed. The whole levels thing is a joke as well. Preparing a child for the real world does NOT mean teaching them that they can get whatever thay wan't with minimal effort because theyre 'special needs'.

Last modified The Cottage School is a Private school that serves grades 4-12