No rating

The Porter School

Private | PK-8 | 70 students

Helping Students with Learning Differences

Living in Roswell

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $279,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $960.

Posted April 14, 2014

I love this school! My son has special needs but is very high functioning, and he didn't fit in anywhere! When we found Porter Academy, he finally found the perfect setting to learn and build his confidence. The teachers are wonderful and foster a loving environment. The staff has provided fantastic facilities for the children and the students have a terrific physical education coach, a computer lab, physical therapy equipment, and a specially designed special needs gym with the best equipment. If you are looking for a school that can allow your child to learn at his or her own pace in a small, personal, social school setting, then this is the place for you!

Posted April 11, 2014

My son is extremely bright, and high-functioning autistic. He has flourished in Porter's therapy-immersion environment, in just about every way. When we brought him there, we were so worried about his future, but the staff there is so amazing. And they even work very hard with the parents to get you the funding you need to pay for your child's education there. I cannot recommend Porter highly enough. I only wish it were located closer to our family.

Posted April 9, 2014

The staff at Porter really know how to connect with each student and help them with individual struggles. This school is academically challenging and has high expectations for behavior, within such a loving environment that the students are excited to work hard and do the right thing. It is the perfect place for my child who has high anxiety and low self esteem.

Posted April 9, 2014

We love Porter Academy! This is the first year my children get up and are ready for school by themselves...every day! They are doing so well in the small class environment, the hands on assistance and they feel like they belong. The teachers and the staff are great, they listen and take action to whatever my concerns might be are right away. They are never too busy to meet or talk with me and they truly care about our kids. My children are learning, maturing and are more independent. Thanks to everyone at Porter for their understanding of our children and for finding a way to teach them the way that they need to learn.

Posted April 9, 2014

The Porter Academy has been great for my daughter. She is about to complete her first year, and we are looking forward to see what next year will bring.

Posted April 9, 2014

Our daughter has attended Porter for the last two years. Though we liked our local elementary school, class sizes continued to grow and she just wasn't getting the one-on-one attention she needs to grow and develop. At Porter they have small class sizes, which allow the teacher to focus on the children's individual needs. Our teacher is outstanding and it's quite clear this isn't just a job; she's very vested in the outcome and development of our child. We like the access to various therapy's (OT, PT, Speech, etc) and music program, and feel the teachers in these areas are very good as well. It's a bit of a drive for us, but seeing our daughter do well and enjoy school is worth it.

Posted April 9, 2014

I cannot say enough about what a blessing Porter has been to my son and our family. I watch my son completely shut down in a typical public school environment. Even with a small class size, the overall environment was so hard for him, as well as teachers who tried but didn't understand his sensory processing disorder. Within a few weeks at Porter, we already were seeing progress. Social skills improved, teachers worked with him on areas of improvement, academics were fun and challenged him, and the overall environment down to the soft lighting made him feel comfortable and at ease. The people at Porter become your family! They care about your child and your family! They are truly amazing, and we are forever grateful for the impact they are making in our son's life! He is getting a foundation for success at Porter Academy!

Posted April 9, 2014

Porter Academy is amazing! We are so thankful for the individual attention my son gets for his learning challenges(ADHD, dyslexia, ...). He had regressed significantly in public schools where he would cry and refuse to go to school every morning. We were at a loss until my son attended a camp at Porter where I saw him look so incredibly happy to learn. I knew we had to send him to school there. Now, he loves to read, loves to learn, loves to do his homework, and go to school. The staff and teachers do such a great job working with us to ensure my son reaches his potential. Everything is done with consideration of how each child learns. We are very thankful for all they do making it well worth the tuition. After each day of school, he will talk and talk about what he learned and how awesome his day was. I just love it!!

Posted October 21, 2013

Fabulous school! We have finally found the right fit for our child with Asperger's/ADHD. Honestly, this school has been the biggest blessing to our child and our family overall. After two public placements that didn't pan out; and two private placements that didn't work either; Porter Academy is the perfect fit! The academics are just rigorous enough while the teachers and administration ensure that each child's "IEP" is individualized and taught in a manner that is in keeping with what works for their unique learning style. My child, who really could not be taught in a traditional learning environment, with a 1 to 1 Parapro, is thriving. I was concerned that it would not be rigorous enough but I was incorrect - I really couldn't be more pleased. And if you are concerned about anything - the staff is willing to listen and incorporate your suggestions and feedback. There is really nothing negative that I could say about Porter Academy and the tuition is actually extremely affordable compared to numerous others in the Atlanta area. Well worth it! Try it and see for yourself. Call and let them know CA's Mom in the Upper School referred you - and you can call me for a referral.

Posted August 27, 2013

Great school with knowledgeable, compassionate staff that believe in the students. My son has sensory issues and most schools in the area were not interested in "dealing" with him. At Porter my son is loved and valued.

Posted August 23, 2013

My son is entering his sixth year at Porter and couldn't be more happy. He loves to go to school. His academics have improved dramatically. He now socializes with classmates. The teachers and administrators are always on hand if needed. We love Porter!

Posted September 30, 2012

I wouldn't recommend this school. They don't challenge the students enough academically. The classroom environment is very unstructured and no discipline. Teacher was not always polite to child and my child was afraid to go to school anymore. The administrative staff is not friendly.

Posted May 26, 2011

We are finishing our 2nd year and couldn't be more pleased. When I enrolled my son, he was so easily frustrated and challenged by behavior that he really hadn't learned even the most basic things in public school. My son's behavior challenges have practically vanished, As far as academics, he's progressed wonderfully. Ex. 2nd grade age reading books on his own - like Artemis Fowl, and Red Pyramid. Math gains have also been great, at or above grade level. I'm really glad we choose Porter and will forever be grateful for the wonderful teachers and staff for their support.

Posted August 13, 2010

My son has been at Porter for 2 years and beginning his 3rd year. He has sensory integration issues and the school is very aware of how to work with students with this type of disability. In public school, they never understood his stemming and adversions to smells and sounds and this school does. The teachers have all been nice and he gets a lot of attention w/the smaller class sizes.

Posted August 1, 2010

This school is fine for younger kids but the entire school is taught at a 1st grade level-my child attended for 2 yrs and regressed academically-I went to another private school in the same area and she was taught at 2 grades higher even though Porter School said she was'nt ready. and REFUSED to teach her at that level-From the words of my child "this school was a pre-school and all we did was recess and bounce around."

Posted January 27, 2010

We chose Porter after a referrel from a parent. All three of our daughters were attending a catholic school that was not able to accommodate the newly diagnosis of dyslexia. This is our first year at Porter and we are very impressed with the personal attention and detail to each child and how they work with the parent. They test in the beginning and at the end of the year. They discovered that my youngest has a strong visual tendency after trying 6 different reading programs with her. She is working in three now in order to help close the gaps she has in her reading and language. All three of our girls are strong in Math so they take them where they are and build on it. My oldest is actually doing pre-algebra! The only thing we miss is the catholic formation because they are not a religious school.

Posted August 25, 2009

Porter Academy is a fantastic school and has done wonders for my daughter. I will be forever grateful for the founders, teachers and staff of this school. I read all of the other reviews and I was quite disappointed and surprised to see that there are negative reviews at all. It makes me think that it is probably a parent issue and not a school issue with the negative reviewers. The problem is; if a parent is in denial about their child or does not follow up on the teacher recommendations; then they will not see results. It takes a village and one school (no matter how wonderful the people are) cannot make a total difference unless the parents also make a commitment to their child's education and progress. Porter Academy is great and I am a proud parent!

Posted April 21, 2009

This school is fine for speech and OT. However, academically my child regressed as well. My child was taught at Porter 2 years below where he should have been taught (which is 2 years below where he should be chronologically. I did not see any gains after 1 year and at any school your child should be moving forward. They do not give any tests and that is doing kids a disservice since any school they go to when they leave Porter will be giving tests and assessments. There was even no written checklists or notes when you go to a parent/teacher conference. I am suprised this school will still be open in a few more years as parents realize their children are so behind when they get to the next school.

Posted April 15, 2009

We took our child out of Porter. The concept is wonderful but this school doesn't do many of the things they promise. I would wonder if the msg from September 27th was written by one of the representatives of the school, because this is often the 'pitch' that parents receive, howver the students are not academically challenged nor are many of the teachers specifically trained to work with kids with learning differences. We were dissatisfied, our kid regressed so we took him out. Make sure you do a very close look at what your child's needs are before enrolling in this school.

Posted September 11, 2008

My daughter received little benefit from being at the school. The children are not challenged academically.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff None
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:15 am
School end time
  • 3:10 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:15 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Claudia Porter
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Project-based
  • Therapeutic
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Reading specialist(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Performing arts
  • Creative writing
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom