No rating

The Atlanta Academy

Private | PK-8 | 230 students

Living in Roswell

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $198,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $880.

Posted July 31, 2014

I am looking forward to another wonderful year at The Atlanta Academy. Each year I am thrilled with the teachers and academics my 3 children receive. The quality and standards of programs goes above and beyond my expectations. The best part is that my children wake up each day ready and excited to go to school - you can't beat that!

Posted June 18, 2014

From the moment I toured The Atlanta Academy until today, I have always been very impressed with this school. My children have attended The Atlanta Academy for 6 years. I extensively researched many prospective schools and decided on Atlanta Academy because of challenging curriculum, community service opportunities, and a faculty that is passionate about the students. The visual arts and performing arts program is top notch. The teachers create an environment that encourages the students to think critically and compassionately about themselves and their community. My oldest child is in the middle school. Yes, the program is rigorous but I know my child will be well-prepared for high school. The middle school teachers have high expectations, but are there for additional help after school. In addition, the school provides opportunities for the students to try a variety of extracurricular activities (athletics, debate, stock club, spring musical, band, chorus, photography, book clubs ). You can't go wrong with choosing this school!

Posted May 16, 2014

Suitable for young children, but the Administration seems to have an outdated view on how to to properly nurture and educate middle school children. The rigid rules and excessive homework cause many children and parents high levels of stress, and do not appear to translate into higher levels of learning and test scores. It would be interesting to find out what percentage of children stay from K through 8. My perception is that the majority of non-faculty children stay 2-3 years only. My children find it to be a harsh environment, even though they have always been good students.

Posted March 18, 2014

As a parent, I've consistently watched the leadership and how they respond to different situations, observed classrooms to monitor teacher's instructional styles, and done extensive comparative research on the curriculum Atlanta Academy implements compared to well known private schools in Atlanta. AA offers a globally recognized, evidence-based math curriculum as well as one of the most effective curriculums for teaching reading and writing to students and commits to ensuring their teachers get high quality training every summer. I can't say this for any of the elite private schools. In addition, they genuinely care about the children and differentiate to accommodate each individual child and where they are in their learning. All the teachers, even ones that dont teach my kids, are very responsive to my concerns. One of my kids had to face discipline issues and I was so grateful for the way his teacher and Ms. Naples responded to him. He is a much better student because of the genuine (and firm) responsiveness that they gave him. If you are looking for a school that provides rigorous instruction, explicit focus on the child with no gimmicks, this is the private school to be at.

Posted June 10, 2013

I have had children at this school for 7 years and I have nothing but WONDERFUL things to say about the faculty, staff and administration. The curriculum is strong in every aspect and their standards are high, but the teachers will do whatever it takes to help the children work to their full potential. The students are accepting and kind beyond what I have found in any other school. The Summer Camp is awesome. The kids are kept engaged and entertained all day. My kids love it and beg to go every week. They have awesome off-campus fieldtrips for the older kids and cool onsite fieldtrips for the little ones. The camp counselors are all educators and really go above and beyond to make sure the kids are enjoying themselves. I guess you can't ever make everyone happy, but The Atlanta Academy does an amazing job. I would encourage anyone looking for a school to visit the Atlanta Academy. You will not be disappointed.

Posted June 10, 2013

The school is ok/not great but there are much better schools out there. The summer camp is terrible though - don't waste your money - my little girl cried day about having to go to the camp. .

Posted May 24, 2013

Pre-k program: The good, small teacher/student ratio, great art class & library. The bad, my child has attended for three years now. The 1st two "teachers" were in fact not licensed educators. This showed in many ways. My mistake allowing my child to continue on here after the 1st yr experience. It was not until nearing end of 2nd yr I made this discovery. By this pt my child was having fits about attending class. The inexperienced teachers affected my child in countless ways. The only reason we stayed on for the 3rd yr is due to the fact a licensed edu. was hired. She has been awesome! If only the 1st 2 yrs had gone so well. My child has challenges that could have been brought to my attention much sooner if there had been real teachers in place those 1st 2 yrs. In fact, the pre-k 3 teacher "not really" was so horrid that she was dismissed in spring of 2012 to be replaced by another non-licensed educator. And to pay such fees for non-licensed educators. It is my opinion that pre-k 3 & 4 are nothing more than glorified day care. In closing, do your research before choosing a school, dig deep for info beyond the dog and pony show the admin puts on while interviewing

Posted April 27, 2013

I went 3 and a half years at this school. The Good:Lots of extracirriculars that your child will immensely appreciate because- kids don't get the opportunity to try so many things. Your kid can take a photography class, be on debate and be in the musical in just one year which you can't really do anywhere else. It also has an excellent reading and Spanish program above public schools. Being in a private school also gives your child a business like attitude and competitiveness that will help them later in life. The Bad:Teachers and the principal their "bad apples." One slightly obese kid was kicked out the day after he got there. He was beaten by stronger boys and blamed for it. A lot of rich jocks go to this school and because there is only 7 kids in a class, it's really hard to make friends or let alone survive. Their "pedigree standards" are really hard for any kid to handle and will be a degrading experience that will haunt them the rest of their lives.

Posted December 19, 2012

We have two children at the Atlanta Academy and think its an excellent school. The nurturing environment and staff that cares make it an ideal school for us. Additionally, your child is treated as an individual and is encouraged to do their best in all areas. The academics are solid and they have average and advanced classes. They also provide extra support when needed. This is the best kept secret in the private school community.

Posted May 14, 2012

We are just finishing up our first year at Atlanta Academy and we have been so happy with the choice we made. The teachers are top notch, the emphasis on the Readers Writers workshop is impressive, I can't say enough about the small class sizes....everyone gets the attention they need and each child is taught to their ability. It's a very close, family environment but we've also found it's a very professional, well thought out program. The teaches are constantly going to continuous education courses and finding new and better ways to teach the children. Going into the year, I was worried our son was going to have difficulties in school and he is absolutely thriving AND ENJOYING the year! We have other friends in other schools in the area and personally, I haven't found fundraising to be any different than what they do...if anything, AA is less intrusive in that category. Thank you to all at Atlanta Academy!

Posted May 11, 2012

Far and away, Atlanta Academy is the best K-8 private school in Roswell. The principal, teachers and administration are an incredible team, well educated and care for the whole child as a member of their school community. The Parents' Association is active and effective. The active leadership of Ms. Naples (principal) consistently insures the school maintains its focus, integrity and mission. The school has the latest technology, a beautiful campus and provides continuous education to their teachers. As a parent, I could not be happier my children have thrived as students and love their school.

Posted February 16, 2012

Overall our experience has been good. I do feel that the academics are fairly strong. I will say that we have been fortunate to have good teachers, one in particular I would deem as great. As with any school, I feel that the teacher weighs heavily on you academic experience. Reader's and Writer's workshop is good, but to a degree flawed. It places an immense amount of pressure on the kids. The staff in inconsistent. If you find yourself amoungst the favored, your experience will be even better. Not a bad school, but far from the best.

Posted January 26, 2012

Our child has been enrolled at The Atlanta Academy for five years and we continue to be very pleased with the education he receives. Because of the small class size (16 max.) each child gets the attention they need. The reading and writing program is exceptional. There is not a better program for the Arts anywhere. Overall, the children receive a well rounded education from a very dedicated and caring staff.

Posted November 9, 2011

As a parent at the Atlanta Academy we have been very happy with both the lower school and the preschool for our children. The small classes enable the teachers to individually motivate the children so they are inspired to learn. Faculty is very caring. Readers and Writers workshops are great.

Posted October 19, 2011

This is the second year that my kids attend the Atlanta Academy. The teachers and administrators are all inspiring, dedicated and truly care about the kids. The Readers & Writers workshop is amazing! The attention they receive because of the smaller class sizes is a huge asset to their education. As the previous writer stated, they do fund raising, but all schools do that and it is needed to help keep the tuition down. This school was started by parents and educators and the result is a wonderful school that my kids actually look forward to attending

Posted October 6, 2011

A great school, after only a short period of time has transformed the academic performance and attitude of my child. The Readers& Writers Workshop method is amazing & inspires even the v. young children. If you have a child who is a can't or won't read this school can help. On the downside, they have an awful and tacky approach to fundraising. A private school that behaves like a public school. First week of term they ask for annual fund donation of $2000 per child. Then its sponsored fun run and please collect box tops which is all fine, except that they manipulate and exploit the feelings of the kids- constantly gathering them together & telling them they will win an x-box or ipad etc for getting most sponsor money, or they will get singled out and given an icecream if they collect a certain number of box tops. Its so horrible! As parents we are already VERY motivated to give what we can for our kids. Heck, we have chosen private school! We are all cutting box tops and giving what we can- we do not need our kids being manipulated into feeling bad and pressuring us. It is tacky and unpleasant. This is a FOR PROFIT business not a charity-I don't like businesses bribing my kids.

Posted June 1, 2011

I am blown away with The Atlanta Academy. My daughter has thrived both academics and socially since she has been at the school. The reading and writing program is truly incredible! The Atlanta Academy is the best kept secret in town.

Posted March 2, 2011

A few of the teachers are related to the Vice Principal. Therefore, there is quite a bit of bias and "sticking together" behavior in the school amongst the faculty. We had one of the teachers that is related and when there was an issue that needed to be addressed there was no accountability with the school/teacher and the Vice Principal even stated that the teacher is "not in the wrong". Without really investigating or hearing our side. This school either likes you (and of course your money) or they don't and it does not matter if young (5 year old) children get hurt emotionally because of the lack of experience from faculty or its' mean spirited environment. Unqualified teachers may say your child needs testing "because something is wrong with them." After thousands of dollars of testing you just find out it is completely the school and that your child is above average in many areas and have been treated very unfairly. Not once did the school stick up for the welfare of my child. They simply cared about bringing in more money and defending each other completely. Beware of this school!!!

Posted June 30, 2009

Wonderful school! Teachers are excellent from the elementary level into the Middle School. Some previous reviews are critical of the math and language arts program, but I think this is untrue. The Atlanta Academy has outstanding academics and creates a well rounded student that will be successful in High School. You won't a better, more nuturing enviornment for your child.

Posted May 6, 2009

It's a small social scene I'll agree. It's like any other middle school though at the same time. The teachers try to help you and really do care. At any middle school... if you have friends you'll get through anything. There are many students and teachers willing to just come up and help one that's alone. It's a just normal school.
—Submitted by a student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:00am
School end time
  • 3:00pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school