Mountain Park Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted April 24, 2014

Wonderful teachers, supportive families, and hard-working students make this school stand out as an exceptional school. The school is lucky to have people falling over themselves to help make the school the success that it is, but it's teachers like Mrs. Dunn and Mrs. Brock, a principal like Mrs. Pearlman, and exceptional staff members that inspire families to feel so compassionate about MPE. We moved to Georgia from WA state and sought out the best schools we could find. MPE has surpassed those expectations. The students are well-behaved, and this has allowed my daughter's teachers to pay attention to her individual challenges and shape her learning in such a way that has enabled her to engage in advanced reading and math groups. We will be moving soon, and we will all miss this wonderful, creative, academically-focused school.

Posted December 21, 2013

From the moment we arrived I knew this school was the right choice for our family. We were welcomed by the office staff, very impressed by the principal and couldn't be happier about the education my two children are receiving. The teachers truly care and keep us informed about the progress of both our son and daughter. We had heard about the great reputation of this school. Now we know firsthand that it was all true. I feel like we're getting a private school education in this gem of a public school. See it for yourself!

Posted December 16, 2013

MPE a phenomenal school. I have no doubt that my children are receiving a high quality education. There is an electronic newsletter that is published every few weeks which keeps me abreast of the activities at MPE. The teachers don't send lots of information home, but on a whole they are responsive to email and almost always available to meet with me if I have a concern. This school is by no means perfect, but, the MPE staff appears committed to correcting imperfections and moving this school forward. If I had to pinpoint an area of improvement I would actually say that the school doesn't push the students to their capabilities. I feel that the students could probably handle a more rigorous curriculum.

Posted September 12, 2013

We just started this school and from what I have seen is more than the private preK-8 school we attended. The teachers genuinely like and care that the students do well all the way to the principal who is often in car line. Also, the teachers inspire rather than just teach and the facilities are up to date and fairly well kept. We look forward to graduating here in 6 years!

Posted August 23, 2013

We are outsiders (from the North) and we have been welcomed in the classroom, by the pta and the administration. I have a very bright, charming and challenging child (with behavior challenges) and his second year here, in the first week of school, three teachers contacted us telling us that he was so bright in math that he needed to be in the advanced class and put the wheels in motion to get him where he could succeed and excel. They are really looking out for him! I have found the parents to be super involved-- in a good way and love that there are many volunteer opportunities for the working and not-working-outside-the-home parents. The pta is very inclusive and is supportive to new ideas and programs. The administration is also very supportive and provide many opportunities to voice your opinion and get the skinny on what the school's plans, goals etc are. It has been a great experience and we are very grateful to be here!

Posted November 29, 2012

Overall we have had a good experience. Great teachers and responsive admin. We wish the bright kids could be challenged more in class or be grouped together. Also, wish more parents took responsibility for educating their children.

Posted May 21, 2012

I just finished my 8th year at MPE with two more years left. I love MPE and have volunteered for many years in the classroom and with the PTA. My three children have received a strong, well-prepared, and well-rounded education. The Principal, Ms. Stacy Perlman and Assistant Principal, Ms. Mary Ellen Robson, are dedicated, involved & engaged with the students and with school activities. There is never a day when your child will not be greeted with a smile and by name from each. The PTA volunteers are passionate and hard-working. They may seem cliquish, but that s because they are focused on helping the school-please volunteer! On a final note, Ms. Perlman asked the 5th graders to write thoughts about leaving MPE this year. My daughter wrote the following: What is the best thing about MPE? The friends we all share and laugh together with. What is your advice for your teachers and principals? Our 5th grade year has constructed and changed our behavior toward education and we will remember that thanks to you. What is your advice for younger students? Focus on your goals so you may achieve confidence in time and live to your potential. Yes, MPE is a great school!

Posted November 4, 2011

Mountain Park Elementary provides not only stellar education, but also a community of caring people as well. Recently our daughter experienced a difficult injury and the entire staff rallied to support her and provide the best support possible. She was provided with home teaching that actually enabled her to get ahead! They've never given me a hard time about taking her out of school for the subsequent doctors appts and therapy. MPES understands that her health is our first priority, her spirits my second. They provides excellent education, care and supoprt to our community.

Posted October 3, 2011

Most of the families in Mt. Park community live in 1980's. These people are so behind the world. They are concentrated on scores without teaching their kids real values. Don't come to this school as there is nothing to give to your child here other than training him to pass the tests. Some teachers are not professional at all.

Posted August 13, 2011

Mountain Park Elementary has always had a stellar reputation in Fulton County. That reputation has only improved under the current leadership. Of course test scores are important and those scores are why most parents in this community choose/chose that school. If anyone denies that, then he/she is not being honest. I am honored to be associated with Mountain Park Elementary. In my opinion, everything "seems" to be working just as we would hope.

Posted August 12, 2011

This school has both good and bad teachers. The reality is that the administration and teachers seam to focus only on test scores. They put lots of priorities on money, money, money, how to keep it and how to get more. We have been lied to, we have not been given answers to questions and had teachers telling us to put our child on drugs. Watch this school carefully and talk to lots of other parents about it.

Posted May 14, 2011

Mountain Park Elementary has been a wonderful experience for my two children from K through 5th grade. The teachers were excellent and had very high expectations. The current leadership in place is outstanding and is setting even more challenging goals for Mountain Park. Anytime we had an issue of concern, the teachers and administration took care of the situation immediately. Mountain Park is truly a great all around school.

Posted May 11, 2011

We moved to be in this school district after a dismal experience at a Cobb County private school two years ago. Overall, we are very pleased with Mountain Park Elementary, as an academic institution and as an active part of the communities and neighborhoods that feed it. I am a person of color and have felt no ostracization whatsoever. I volunteer from time to time, and though I do not socialize in these "cliques" (which I see as groupings based on familiarity through volunteering), I do not feel like an outsider. Most importantly, my children are getting what they need from their school.

Posted February 8, 2011

Mountain Park is a wonderful learning environment. The school has in place many extra programs to enhance the learning experience beyond the basics. The teachers and staff care about the kids and want every child to do well. The PTA is active and all that is done is for betterment of the school and the kids. It is a very family friendly environment where kids can excel. Parent participation is encouraged at all grade levels. My family and I love this school, the teachers and staff.

Posted November 3, 2010

The goal of the management is to get maximum donations and volunteers. All the rest, including children s education, is on private afterschool math and reading programs and parents. It's not a good place for kids who think outside the box, who have seen different cultures. Conformity and mediocrity rule. There is a lot of parent involvement, but the moms are pretty cliquish. Helps to be white and not working. Again, not a horrible place, but not as great as they think they are, either.

Posted February 8, 2010

We moved to Atlanta and were deciding between the Fulton school district and Tritt Elementary. We landed in the MPE school district and I must say that I agree with previous posts. The school is rated a 10, but is an average school. The parents are VERY cliquish and the teaching is great, as long as your child fits the public student mold. They are very limited in adapting learning styles for different kids and for managing behavior proactively. I would definitely suggest considering other schools though if you land here, your child should be ok.

Posted October 7, 2009

Two of my children have attended Mountain Park and we are very happy with the school. There is a small family environment-perfect for elementary age. The school also feeds Crabapple Middle and Roswell High School, at which my children have had FANTASTIC experiences. Mountain Park has strong academics and is geared toward gifted children, but has a strong program in place for on-level children too. My only complaint is that the PTA members (not leaders) can be very cliquish and it can be hard to feel welcome if you don't live in one of the country club neighborhoods.

Posted May 5, 2008

I agree with previous poster. This school relies on past performance. Nothing to brag about in the past 6 years.

Posted September 28, 2007

Great curriculum based school. Some teachers will go above and beyond for some students, others give and get just the bare necessities. Very cliquish parents therefore the children are taught the same. Parent involvement is excellent, however if you have a discrepacy with staff and/or personnel and you are a working parent whose presence is not on a regular basis your concerns are going to be on the back burner until someone feels the need to address them. Not a well rounded school. Great if you're in the 'in crowd'. Over-rated school in more ways than one.

Posted September 6, 2006

A great school, but was temporarily spoiled by poor Principal leadership over the past few years. MP was a top ranked school and has slipped in the rankings. My kids now go to a school that will feed into a better middle and high school. Did not want Crabapple Middle School (MP feeder school). MP was a wonderful place to be in their early years and feel they have the academic and social skills to carry on in the future. The staff is wonderful and wish them luck under new leadership starting 2006/07. I find their new school has more to offer in arts and extracurricular. Maybe this has something to do with the Fulton County school system and budgeting. Academics was the strong point and am very happy with what my kids accomplished.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

151 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

152 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

152 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

151 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

155 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

155 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

153 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

153 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

140 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

11895 Mountain Park Rd