No rating

Savannah Country Day School

Private | PK-12

Living in Savannah

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $130,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $840.

Posted May 8, 2012

I am also in the seventh grade at SCDS. SCDS offers academic supremacy to any other schools in the area, and the test scores prove it. SCDS does NOT ruin one's childhood, but switching in the middle of school life may not be the best idea, since the academics do offer a challenge. While Country Day is known for academics, almost all sports and extra-curricular activities are offered. Teachers and leaders are constantly active in a student's life, offering multiple different views on learning, accommodating all kinds of students with different learning skills. Overall, SCDS is an education that cannot be overlooked by a parent or student searching the area for a school welcoming all students, offering academic challenges and guarenteed success, and many activities outside of school to keep a student well-rounded.

Posted October 19, 2009

I have been attending scds since i was 5, 12 years and i am now a sophomore and i love love love country day, my best friend was forced to be sent to savannah christian (due to costly tuition) and she wants to come back sooo bad, country day has a very warming environment and i can guarantee you anyone my age hasn't seen the best of it but we have had one of the most school spirited beginnings then i have seen in a long time. I would never switch anywhere else, and i can say my brother (an alumni) who is now at one of the most prestigous colleges without being an ivy league would say the same

Posted July 7, 2009

I am a SCDS alum getting ready to graduate from college. Things I loved about it: Really knowing my classmates, being constantly challenged, wonderful classroom discussions, close relationships with teachers, being trusted. Things I disliked: studying more than I did in college, unexplained snobbery of some classmates (you'll know what I mean when you get there). Would I do it again? Absolutely! I really do miss it sometimes! However I'd give a piece of advice to future students: don't worry about grades- just enjoy your experience.

Posted May 19, 2009

Yeah i hate this school. It's terrible and no fun. I'm in seventh grade and Middle School at SCDS is not fun at all. It's work work work work. I guess it prepares you for the future but hey, i gotta have some time to be a kid!

Posted February 18, 2009

I love scds. it is a great school that teaches you what you need to know and really gets you ready for collage.

Posted January 17, 2009

Excellent teachers and curriculum-- especially the lower school.

Posted December 1, 2008

Graduated from here and remain forever grateful. I continue to build upon the skills this school instilled in me from a very young age and allowed me to be several steps ahead of the rest.

Posted August 22, 2008

With one year under our belt, the jury is still out. The majority of the faculty and administration, that we have had the pleasure of meeting, are superb. Our children received a great over all education, however, it was not without drama (woes from the public school switch). I could write a lot of facts from incidents that would make a parent cringe but that would be out of character and mud slinging never solved anything. It is widely accepted at SCDS that you grin and bare or go elsewhere. We are betting our bottom dollar that everything else will catch up and be of the same quality as the education. We have an uncompromising faith in SCDS, the administration, faculty, staff, alumni, contributors and our fellow families.

Posted May 8, 2008

SCD has a tremendous amount to offer students in the Savannah area. Its extremely challenging academically, has great supportive teachers, and wonderful extracurriculars. It is worth the money most of the time. However, the high cost of offering so much to students has left the school with 2 major problems. First, a lack of economic diversity in the student body (b/c of the high price tag) creates a snobbish environment that can be either contagious to previously humble kids or divisive in its creation of cliques exclusive of kids who don t ascribe to the entitled attitude. Second, reliance on wealthy families for contributions increases their influence on the school s administration. But having attended the school for 14 years I can honestly say that any challenges were worth it. They made me a better person, more secure in who I was. Bottom line: I am proud to be a CD alum.

Posted April 5, 2008

My three children attended SCDS since pre-k. What a waste of time v, effeort and money. My oldest ,who is in his vfirst year of college felt totally unprepared for sciencec and math and stated that he hadn't ever enjoyed English until this year. He begged me not t6o send his vmiddle school brother there becausev he thought that his teachers were so bad. My daughter, who switched to St Andrews said that for the first time in her education she felt like she was being taught instead of teaching herself. For sixteen thousand dollars a year, i think that SCDS teachers should be held to held to a higher standard.

Posted September 30, 2007

As a recent graduate of the school (class of 2007), I can honestly say that SCDS was all that I could have hoped for in a high school. I absolutely loved it. And no, I wasn't the most popular, but I found my friends and I had a blast. The quality of the school was excellent. I now attend Columbia University in NYC and I have been very well prepared for my academic life here. The caliber of the teachers was superb at SCDS. Parents, I really wouldn't complain about the high tuition when your child attends college and is at the top of his/her class. Another commendable aspect of the school is the Honor Code. I could literally leave my bag anywhere and nothing would be stolen from it. There is a diverse number of ECs. I participated in everything from Crew to Quiz Bowl to The Informer.

Posted January 20, 2006

I've had two children attend SCDS (one has graduated; one is now in middle school, having attended for nine years). The positive aspects include the breadth of course offerings (many AP and AB classes in high school, multiple available languages, the mandatory fine arts exposure staring in elementary school, etc.), the athletic programs (including the strongest girls' program in the area, with many state titles in basketball, volleyball, soccer, golf and tennis, among others), degree of parental involvement (high) and the safety (there is a guard gate out front, and security patrol the school at all times). The negatives? High tuition, disappointing science and math instruction in high school, and an emphasis on the quantity of work at times (your children will have LOTS of homework!). SCDS is not for the academically average; students who would make A's at other Savannah schools make B's and C's here.

Posted October 31, 2005

This school has turned out to be a bit of a disappointment for the extremely high tuition, and we will not be returning next year. They push academics that are very advanced (10-11th grade material in 8th grade), which is great if your kid is that accelerated, but not great for the merely above-average student. Everything has a high price tag, including after-school 'day care' for a teenager. We don't fit the affluent demographic there, and can only attend because of financial aid, so my child does not feel like she really fits in. The cliques are horrible, but the teachers are great. However, unless you're a prominent doctor or lawyer in Savannah, I'd recommend one of the other private schools and put away the 13K towards college. It's appalling that the public schools are so bad in Chatham county, and that private or homeschooling are the only options.

Posted February 19, 2005

If you can get past the high tuition, the parents that think their kids aren't in the wrong when their kids haze other students or get caught with drugs on campus, and doing homework, projects, and studying all of the time, a great school. The athletic program is very competitive and one of the best parts of the school. Music and Fine Arts are superb. Teachers seem to be highly qualified for the most part.

Posted February 7, 2005

Savannah Country Day School is superior in all aspects of education. The promotion of fine arts as well as the moral aspect of the education prepares the child for many aspects of further educational opportunities as well as developing a solid citizen.

Posted January 12, 2005

A good school in general. I only recommend this school if you are willing to put yourself through very expensive torture.

Posted May 4, 2004

The best school in a 100 mile radius.... unfortunately.

Posted October 6, 2003

Savannah Country Day encouraged and challenged my children! Not only did they learn facts and figures, but critical thinking skills and self expression through writing and art. My son and daughter were well prepared for college and the difficult personal choices all young adults encounter.

Posted September 9, 2003

Sent two sons here. Provided best available education in the southeast...maybe the country. Was worth the outrageous tuition.... whould do it again twice over.

Posted August 25, 2003

This is a great school. We are like a small community. Everyone works for the benefit of the kids. Parents and teachers are always striving to make it the best environment. Tuition is high and needs to cap off, but we are getting so much more than we could at the public level.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab