Georgetown School

Public | PK-7

Posted August 12, 2014

You would think that a teacher would proof read her comments before posting. Wow, what great tools for learning.

Posted August 1, 2014

My school is very excellent so hopefully y'all could possibly put your child(children) in this school

Posted July 31, 2014

The school is NOT a good school. The principal is rude and does not appreciate parent involvement. I feel sorry for the students who have to attend this school. This was once a good school but not any longer. If you have a Middle School child I would not send them to this school, the school is not prepared for Middle School. I would give this school a negative star if I could.

Posted May 28, 2014

There is a reason students are asked to be quiet during the lunchroom...so they can eat. It seems like the last 'parent' who posted of having issues with kids being quiet has not being in the school for a while. Students are able to whisper for 15 min., be silent for the next 15 and so on. When you have a cafeteria of 50 plus students, it would be nice for kids to whisper instead of yelling across the table. Do you encourage your child to talk loudly at the dinner table? Also, some middle school students are rude, obnoxious an disrespectful towards teachers who are not their teachers. I have heard students say 'you are not my teacher I don't have to listen to you'. We enforce quiet hallways so learning is not disrupted in other classes, because every little minute counts. If you are worried about your kid being a mindless robot, and believe that our procedures are ridiculous, home school your kid. We arenot here to provide a social environment, but to provide your kid with the tools to suceed.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 20, 2014

Terrible school, they don't give the kids a chance to be kids. While walking in the hallways the kids walk in lines (no big deal there), with their arms crossed, looking strait ahead, and air in their mouthes so they can't talk. Seriously who does that? I do believe in discipline, but this is sick. There are no sports fields (soccer, baseball, track n' field, football) outside at the school. There is a basketball court, but that is far from the playground and almost off school grounds, so I don't think kids can play there during the school hours. During lunch hour kids must remain quiet and can't even talk there. I ate lunch with one of my kids there once and the teachers were walking around with trash cans rushing the kids to eat and throwing away their food. Let the kids eat. The fact that this is a kindergarden through 8th grade school makes me nauseous. My kids will be stuck there until high school unless we sell our house and move to another area. Don't move to Georgetown and punish your kids. Serious consider another section of Savannah or even in another school district. This school makes a potentially bright child and makes them into a mindless robot.

Posted May 15, 2014

Georgetown is a great school!!! Dedicated principal, teachers, and staff work together to challenge students to learn. Our principal is very open to new ideas to provide the best education for our kids. The teachers that my two children have had over the past five years have been caring, committed, and creative in their teaching. We are very pleased with the education our kids are receiving at Georgetown. Any school has room for improvement if they are honest, but Georgetown is doing a great job!

Posted January 15, 2014

This school is awful!!! The school has an awesome principal but horrible teachers. I have caught several teachers yelling at the students and being just plain rude. How is a child expected to learn in an environment where the "leaders" are hostile. I came in simply to visit the principal and the teacher directing traffic waived her finger back and forth in the air to tell me "no" I can't drive in that direction. She thought I was there for student pick up and I wasn't. So instead of asking she just assumed and waived her little finger at me! I would never want my child to think that this is the proper way to treat another person.

Posted January 15, 2014

My children have been at this school for 7 years I was very excited when they got a wonderful principles by the name of Mr . Thomas , but since his retirement we have 2 new principals who I really dislike my children had no problems until this year , the principal very unprofessional she had a issue with my son had him call me when I arrived at the school to speak with her she wouldn't cone out and speak with me I'm really considering leaving this school. The teacher where great i really loved all my kids teacher except one 5 grade teach who came from Bartlett middle school .

Posted August 13, 2013

Parents have a choice to OPT out of the school uniform policy. Just ask for the form and the school has to provide it. Sign the form, ask the school for a copy, and have the school keep it on file and forward the appropriate information to all necessary teachers and faculty. There are options for parents, and parents need to start speaking up and voicing their concerns to the right people. Hope this helps!

Posted June 24, 2013

I've been going to this school since kindergarten now in 6th but now that we've gotten our new principal she has been really rude she didn't care about our fifth grade graduation and said it was a waste of time since we were mostly going to beat the same school in 6th grade next year but about 20 students were not so I was very disappointed in her but I am also disappointed that there aren't lockers for 6,7,and 8th grade. But I really love the school and teachers :)

Posted May 25, 2013

We have been very happy with the quality of teachers and staff. My only complaint would be with the newly appointed school principal. She rarely returns phone calls, and every time I have been there, her office door is always closed. I have been told by other teachers that she stays in her cave shuffling paperwork, is rude, never available, has poor communication skills, and screams at teachers when she doesn't get her way. I have also been told she plays favorites with teachers, as it is clear she does the same with parents because she returns some phone calls while ignoring others. A lot of parents I have talked to feel the same. We hope she is not here next year. Everyone seems miserable with her leadership. I believe this school would greatly improve if it has a principal with strong leadership skills, builds rapport with teachers, parents and students, and seems level-headed, not with one who gets stressed out over every little thing.

Posted April 16, 2013

My duaghter has been at Georgetown Elementary (noe Georgetown K-8)since pre-k in 2005. She has excelled and has been very happy there. We were very excited when the decision was made to add middle school grades. This meant she would stay at the same community school and not be riding a bus to commute to another area. She has gotten excellent treatment from all of her teachers and has been able to maintain her gifted/honor roll status throughout her time at this school thanks to the professionalism of the teachers and staff and the wonderful instruction they provide. Now that we have hit the middle school grades there has been some "drama" but that is to be expected with the age group. Sports teams were added this year and the kids are loving it. We have one more year to keep Georgetown as part of our family and will miss it when we move on to high school in 2015. Keep up the great work Georgetown!

Posted March 31, 2013

I went to this school from 4th grade to 6th. I gotta say there is a LOT of drama but not a lot of fights. There was a few last year but not a bunch. This staff/teachers are VERY nice. They make sure that you understand what your doing. If you don't understand they'll do whatever it takes to make sure you get it. Mrs.Mikell was my favorite teacher.. I had her in 6th grade for math. (: she's honestly the best teacher I've ever had. I love this school and I wish I could go back but unfortunately I moved:/

Posted August 19, 2012

My daughter currently attends this school and last year, her first year as a Kindergardener was awesome. I am happy to say that she had an awesome teacher, and made some great friends. My only concerns are the issues mentioned in another review regarding crossing their arms and not being able to talk whenever walking the hallways to class,and to me the most awful, not being able to talk during lunch break. I fully believe kids need some time to chat with friends and just express themselves. I seriously hope this particular rule is changed soon! Subdued tones is fine, but no talking at all is just horrible!

Posted May 29, 2012

The appearance of this school is excellent, but the teachers, staff and principle are horrible. Children are forced to cross their arms at all times while commuting throughout the school (even the 5 year olds). I witnessed several students being shouted at on numerous occasions. The principle is so horrible that the students look at the ground and look scared every time he passes by, not to mention the fact that I've only ever seen him shouting at students. My kindergartner was expected to do 45 mins of HW every night and when HW was not done he was forced to walk laps as punishment. I moved to this neighborhood for the school, but it seems that this school has seriously declined over recent years. If you do not approve of other people treating your children hostile, then please go elsewhere. I feel awful that this school has ruined my son's first school experience.

Posted February 18, 2012

Definitely not impressed! We moved to this neighborhood just because we heard this school was so wonderful. Unfortunately, I have not found this to be true. I am an educator and a disability expert and have been appalled at the interactions I have witnessed between teachers and students. I volunteer at the school at least once a week and am an active PTA member. The students are treated like juvenile delinquents and I have personally witnessed a teacher verbally berating a very young student for a minor infraction. I understand how stressful teaching can be but there is no room for this kind of unprofessional behavior. Also, I have been present when teachers were discussing students very personal, private and privileged information. They seemed unaware they were doing anything wrong when I informed them they shouldn't be talking about those things in my presence. It seems that the staff at this school could use some training on behavior management, confidentiality and professional conduct. My child will not be returning to this school next year.

Posted May 15, 2011

We are military and leaving Savannah in June for our next assignment. I have been very happy with Georgetown Elementary the two years my son has attended. His homeroom teacher and gifted teacher go above and beyond. The principal is very approachable and the PTA is outstanding. Thanks for a wonderful public school experience in Savannah.

Posted March 14, 2011

I was concerned about the school system in Savannah but could not be happier with the experience my daughter has had at Georgetown Elementary. The staff is wonderful and she enjoys regular classes as well as the gifted program she has been a part of for the last 2 years. We will definitely miss the school and the community as this is our last year in Savannah.

Posted December 4, 2010

I would not recommend this school. They are not equipped to deal with any type of learning disability even the slightest ones. Our experience with this school so far has been such a nightmare that we are pulling our child out of this school at the end of this semester in order to prevent him from falling behind. Being a military family and moving around alot our child cannot afford to not have his needs addressed.

Posted April 7, 2009

It is an honor to work with the excellent family of educators at Georgeotown. There is a high level of professionalism among the teachers. The expertise and leadership of the administrators in invaluable.
—Submitted by a teacher

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

105 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

107 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

105 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

108 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

109 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

108 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

84 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Band

School culture

• Volunteer in the classroom
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1516 King George Blvd