Savannah, GA

Georgetown School 5

Posted October 07, 2014
Clearly this school is divided because of the turmoil over the last couple years involving changing of principals. Some people love the new principal and some don't. Regardless, the teachers do their best to ensure that kids receive a great education at Georgetown. The principal is very focused on doing what is best for the kids even if that means inconveniencing some parents. She seems to have the best interests of the students at heart, and has made some improvements. Teachers are encouraged to be innovative in the classroom. One 3rd grade teacher was recently honored by Governor Deal for her excellence in STEM teaching in her class. Our PTA is very active. The gifted program is excellent. One improvement would be to somehow get more parents involved with their kids' education at a young age, as some kids enter Georgetown unprepared due in part to the home environment, putting them at a disadvantage. Teachers are limited without parents' support. It would be nice for people to focus on the big picture of the school rather than publicly air their own petty issues. If you have a problem with the way something is handled, try engaging in constructive conversation to find resolution.

Posted August 12, 2014
You would think that a teacher would proof read her comments before posting. Wow, what great tools for learning.

Georgetown School 5

Posted August 01, 2014
My school is very excellent so hopefully y'all could possibly put your child(children) in this school

Posted July 31, 2014
The school is NOT a good school. The principal is rude and does not appreciate parent involvement. I feel sorry for the students who have to attend this school. This was once a good school but not any longer. If you have a Middle School child I would not send them to this school, the school is not prepared for Middle School. I would give this school a negative star if I could.

Georgetown School 4

Posted May 28, 2014
There is a reason students are asked to be quiet during the lunchroom...so they can eat. It seems like the last 'parent' who posted of having issues with kids being quiet has not being in the school for a while. Students are able to whisper for 15 min., be silent for the next 15 and so on. When you have a cafeteria of 50 plus students, it would be nice for kids to whisper instead of yelling across the table. Do you encourage your child to talk loudly at the dinner table? Also, some middle school students are rude, obnoxious an disrespectful towards teachers who are not their teachers. I have heard students say 'you are not my teacher I don't have to listen to you'. We enforce quiet hallways so learning is not disrupted in other classes, because every little minute counts. If you are worried about your kid being a mindless robot, and believe that our procedures are ridiculous, home school your kid. We arenot here to provide a social environment, but to provide your kid with the tools to suceed.

Posted May 20, 2014
Terrible school, they don't give the kids a chance to be kids. While walking in the hallways the kids walk in lines (no big deal there), with their arms crossed, looking strait ahead, and air in their mouthes so they can't talk. Seriously who does that? I do believe in discipline, but this is sick. There are no sports fields (soccer, baseball, track n' field, football) outside at the school. There is a basketball court, but that is far from the playground and almost off school grounds, so I don't think kids can play there during the school hours. During lunch hour kids must remain quiet and can't even talk there. I ate lunch with one of my kids there once and the teachers were walking around with trash cans rushing the kids to eat and throwing away their food. Let the kids eat. The fact that this is a kindergarden through 8th grade school makes me nauseous. My kids will be stuck there until high school unless we sell our house and move to another area. Don't move to Georgetown and punish your kids. Serious consider another section of Savannah or even in another school district. This school makes a potentially bright child and makes them into a mindless robot.

Georgetown School 2

Posted January 15, 2014
My children have been at this school for 7 years I was very excited when they got a wonderful principles by the name of Mr . Thomas , but since his retirement we have 2 new principals who I really dislike my children had no problems until this year , the principal very unprofessional she had a issue with my son had him call me when I arrived at the school to speak with her she wouldn't cone out and speak with me I'm really considering leaving this school. The teacher where great i really loved all my kids teacher except one 5 grade teach who came from Bartlett middle school .

Georgetown School 2

Posted August 13, 2013
Parents have a choice to OPT out of the school uniform policy. Just ask for the form and the school has to provide it. Sign the form, ask the school for a copy, and have the school keep it on file and forward the appropriate information to all necessary teachers and faculty. There are options for parents, and parents need to start speaking up and voicing their concerns to the right people. Hope this helps!

Georgetown School 3

Posted June 24, 2013
I've been going to this school since kindergarten now in 6th but now that we've gotten our new principal she has been really rude she didn't care about our fifth grade graduation and said it was a waste of time since we were mostly going to beat the same school in 6th grade next year but about 20 students were not so I was very disappointed in her but I am also disappointed that there aren't lockers for 6,7,and 8th grade. But I really love the school and teachers :)

Georgetown School 3

Posted May 25, 2013
We have been very happy with the quality of teachers and staff. My only complaint would be with the newly appointed school principal. She rarely returns phone calls, and every time I have been there, her office door is always closed. I have been told by other teachers that she stays in her cave shuffling paperwork, is rude, never available, has poor communication skills, and screams at teachers when she doesn't get her way. I have also been told she plays favorites with teachers, as it is clear she does the same with parents because she returns some phone calls while ignoring others. A lot of parents I have talked to feel the same. We hope she is not here next year. Everyone seems miserable with her leadership. I believe this school would greatly improve if it has a principal with strong leadership skills, builds rapport with teachers, parents and students, and seems level-headed, not with one who gets stressed out over every little thing.

Georgetown School
1516 King George Blvd, Savannah, GA  31419
Last modified Georgetown School is a Public school that serves grades PK-7. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Georgetown School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top