Bad
Good

Marshpoint Elementary School
Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted September 28, 2015
Kids are taught tolerance of differences due to the inclusion program where they work with kids with special needs.

Posted September 28, 2015
Great teachers and leadership. The IB learning environment truly prepares the children with reasoning skills.

Posted April 14, 2015
My son began the second grade this year at Marshpoint. I am appalled by what I have seen and what he has told me. My son rarely complains, but he comes home every day and cries about the awful experiences he has had. The school is run like a jail for elementary students. It appears that the school's main goal is to teach children to take orders. The teachers are rude, unfriendly, and do not provide the nurturing and exciting environment a young elementary school student should have. Our son will NOT be attending Marshpoint next year. My husband and I have bit the bullet and are paying for private school after this horrifying experience. Do your children a favor by giving them the biggest gift of all by not sending them to Marshpoint.

Posted February 20, 2015
The punitive approach to this school is very damaging to the children. Today our children ate lunch with the lights off with no talking because the music machine was broken. (?) Normally they can talk for a shot period until the staff feels it is too loud and turns the music on. Once the music is on there is no talking. If children talk they are yelled at in a demeaning way.

Posted February 03, 2015
I had very high hopes for this school after reading several parent reviews and touring the school with the principal and staff. However I have experienced a hyper-controlling atmosphere with teachers - younger and older teachers alike- yelling and threatening kids without merit. The music in the lunchroom mandates silence - no talking whatsoever - why are they discouraging kids from learning such an important social skill - communication - kids are threatened with loss of recess should they speak while the music blares at lunch or they are placed at a desk facing the wall. There is a constant "shhhhhhh" during the lunch period (which should be a time to unwind). Teachers continue to yell at the kids to stand in line, three blocks from the wall and again lose recess time if the teacher determines them not to be standing at attention adequately. I directly witnessed yelling by staff at kids for absolutely no reason. It felt as if they were so unsure of their own abilities they felt the need to spread fear and intimidation to manage their own issues. All of this goes unchecked. We reported the threats of recess lost to the principal and her solution was to send out a memo.

Posted February 03, 2015
I visited again today and there has been absolutely no change. The yelling and threats continue in the classroom and recess is a frequently lost 'privilege.' This school presently carries a score of 8. It is one of the most un nurturing environments which touts itself as a school of excellence. A facade. We toured the school and were impressed. It wasn't until I dressed down/ indiscript, and wandered the lunchroom and halls that I witnessed what I saw and heard. This school scores at best a 2 because there is truly no nurturing which takes place and the yelling and excessive control is nothing short of damaging. How can children possibly grow their minds when they are told to shut them and tow a very narrow line of simple obedience without any curiosity and love of learning playing a role in the process? The principal should be ashamed. She touts something her school is not. Like I said I witnessed it first hand. On several occasions, several classrooms and not just the ones my children are in. My kids told me stories I didn't want to believe and then I experienced them.

Posted June 25, 2014
My grandchild had a bad experience at this school. He was bullied and the teachers were not nice.. He did not seem to be learning much either. HIs parents were surprised at this since they heard so many wonderful things about this school. After two years of not learning much and being bullied, they put him in a private school. His reading and math scores are much better now. He is much happier.

Posted May 07, 2014
Marshpoint has made huge improvements in my daughters reading level and math scores. The teachers there really care and want her to succeed! It is a large school and because of that they take safety very seriously! They have a doorbell and camera to see who you are before letting "just anyone" in the building. That was strange to me at first but now I like the added safety. At Marshpoint the kids are family!

Posted April 03, 2014
I have three children who have attended this school. I am so impressed with the committment and dedication of the classroom teachers. They were like another parent to my children. My child that needed extra help got it and more. My child that needs to be challenged has been challenged. My children love this school. Everyone should be lucky enough to attend a school like this!

Posted February 26, 2014
This school has the rudest group of teachers. My son has been picked on an made fun of. The whole year in a half he has been there. As far as education he has gotten behind since he has been there. He went from a A student to a C student. . Moving here for a better education for our son was a big mistake.

Marshpoint Elementary School
135 Whitemarsh Island Rd, Savannah, GA  31410
Last modified Marshpoint Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Marshpoint Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 37 reviews. Top