No rating

St. Andrew's School

Private | PK-12 | 500 students

The differentiators are global competency, sustainability, and island identity.

Living in Savannah

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $185,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $970.

Posted May 5, 2014

St. Andrew's was selected as the most challenging private school in the nation by The Washington Post.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 30, 2014

My son is a new 9th grade student at St. Andrew's this year and we have been EXTREMELY happy with the school. My son is an excellent student interested in studying medicine so when we moved to Savannah we were foolish and only looked at what was considered the "best" private school here. It was such a disappointment for numerous reasons (I'll save that for another review) that we moved our son to St. Andrew's after the first month of the school year and have never regretted it. My son was immediately welcomed into the St. Andrew's community by peers and by the faculty, and has enjoyed school ever since. My husband and I were impressed with how the school immediately assessed my son's abilities and worked with us to design the perfect curriculum for him that looked not only into freshman year classes but to where he would want to be academically for his senior year. The teachers made themselves available to help him catch up to the other students and have continued to be available both before and after school. I love that St. Andrew's has an amazing curriculum and is also flexible to meet a student's particular interests, it also has excellent college counseling.

Posted December 1, 2013

In 5th grade, my principal asked me to leave Blessed Sacrament school, as they did not offer a curriculum that was advanced enough to suit my need. Thus, I became enrolled at St. Andrew's and shocked by the new independence granted from thy teachers. The school is unique for the opportunity each student is granted, the opportunity to mold their own educational experience. The school, particularly the extracurriculars, are a product of student demand and initiative. I personally have taken advantage of the freedom, as I formed the first girls cross country team at the school. In doing so I developed my discipline and work ethic so that my idea of a team would become a reality. In its first year, the team consisted of only two members, yet the program has flourished, this year's team finishing as the Runner Up in the GISA State Meet. This single success is indicative of the community as a whole, in which students are given the ability to shape their experience. This privilege is not ignored, but rather flexed by the entirety of the student body, resulting in a passionate, and therefore successful, collection of young adults.

Posted November 7, 2013

St. Andrew''s consists of a family aspect and challenging academics. The past few years we have integrated technology into the classroom and this is one of the best decisions St. Andrew''s has ever made. It is important for education to move along with the outside world and 21st teaching/technology. That is exactly what SAS has done and I think it has benefitted everyone in a positive way. St. Andrew''s also uses IB (international baccalaureate) instead of AP. It provides a more challenge to the students, which is what I really look for. We are a small school, which is very beneficial in the classroom. You get one on one time with the teacher, so what appears to be very difficult concepts become a little easier because of the amount of help and extra time we get with the teachers. St. Andrew''s not only has great academics, but we do have a great sports program. We have a no cut policy so anyone and everyone can play any sport they would like. I really like this because it gives each student an opportunity to try something they might not get to at another school. At St. Andrew''s, you tend to eventually know everyone and it brings us a lot closer, which I love about my school.

Posted November 4, 2013

St. Andrew''s school is absolutely DEDICATED to an individualized student approach by embracing its small-school, island identity. The faculty, staff, and students also engage in activities geared toward global competencies through 21st century teaching and learning and integrated technology. Committed to sustainable practices, the school is an Apple Distinguished institution with iPads and MacBook Airs for all students in grades 5-12 reducing textbook load and paper consumption. Knowledge is built upon skills--collaboration, communication, creativity, critical-thinking and problem-solving, and character. The curriculum focuses on preparing students for a dynamic future rather than static content and as an International Baccalaureate Diploma Program, students ask the "why" behind information, routinely get accepted to the highest tier of colleges and universities, and engage as members of a global community. The IB program is HIGHER level and open access. Unlike other local public schools with IB, all students are able to enroll in the IB and the school emphasizes the highest rigor level of the program, rather than the lowest.

Posted November 4, 2013

St Andrew's is a place that we and our children are proud to call our own every day. Involved staff, faculty and parents make it a destination for families all over Savannah, GA.

Posted April 17, 2013

This school was great, they took me in after Country Day asked me to leave due to my academics (5th grade). I attended Saint Andrews until i graduated in 2010. I was accepted to a university with an awesome SEC football team. Without Saint Andrews i would have been forced into Chatham County's excuse for public school and likely would not have made it to college.

Posted August 22, 2012

This is the very best school in Savannah! My son has been there for four years and each year we have been so very happy with everything! loving, kind, thoughtful teaching. Nothing else to say!!!

Posted March 3, 2012

Simply an inclusive, happy, well thought out slice of paradise to send our children to for a great education. Our 2 lower school children are happy every day to go to Saint Andrews and we are thrilled with their commitment to both a 21st century education and the development of a well rounded person. Looking past the fact that every student gets an IPAD the real benefit to this school is the small community like atmosphere. Familiar and smiling faces abound, children are well cared for, and with the small class sizes our children get the attention they need to succeed. When we moved to Savannah we looked at all the local schools and ended up moving again to Wilmington Island to be near Saint Andrews. If you are looking for a great school in Savannah you would be doing your children a disservice to overlook this school.

Posted December 22, 2010

Parents are very involved. The school offers so much to the students with very attentive staff and administrators.

Posted July 2, 2010

St. Andrew's has been such a positive influence on my children - and our entire family. It is truly a family centered school with support and encouragement for the children to meet high expectations. Every school will have occasional problems, but the administration and teachers address them quickly and fairly at St. Andrew's. We couldn't be happier.

Posted November 16, 2009

Great small school with big school extras. Growing campus, expanding fine arts program, exceptional teachers providing a very challenging academic enviornment, multi grade mentoring, parental involvement, nurturing staff, safe.

Posted January 12, 2009

My daughter used to dread going to school when she was in public school. Since she has started at St. Andrews, adjectives like 'great and so much fun' have been used by her to describe her days. She is in second grade and loves it! I am very pleased with the whole child concept. It's not only about a fine education, but raising socially conscious children to develop into empowered adults.

Posted December 5, 2008

My student is involved in the New IB program. I believe it is making a difference in not only his understanding of the subject but more importantly his ability to think independently and outside the box. The work load ia adequate and challenging. Athlete programs are very inclusive in the High School. Criticisms: I believe that there should be some improvement in math curriculum. Teachers are nice and work with students.

Posted August 27, 2008

My children are thrilled that school has started again this year - and not only to see their friends - but to see their teachers too. The know that they are loved and that their individuality is appreciated. I have very different children with very different learning styles and they both are challenged and nurtured by teachers that care about them. St. Andrew's recently became an IB school in the high school and we are eager for our children to begin that program in a few years.

Posted March 28, 2008

How can it be possible that everyone is happy at this school? The teachers, the administration, the parents but especially the children are glowing with happiness. My child went to a public school prior to attending St. Andrews and when he arrived his whole life improved for the better. We worried that the work load would be too difficult, and although he works his hardest to keep up, he is adequately and thoroughly challenged. I have seen a very positive change in my son. This is a top notch school that really cares about each and every child. If you are looking for a school that nurtures the child yet challenges them to be their very best - look no further this is your school!

Posted January 19, 2008

my daughter attends st andrews and says that this is the first time that she has ever been actively taught which is amazing as she had attended a private school in savannah since pre-k. we are very impressed with the faculty and staff.

Posted October 1, 2007

I cannot express how happy I am with this school! My children are challenged, nurtured, and always encouraged to always do their best. The small size allows teachers to know each student's abilities and personalities. I love that my boys love to go to school and are getting such an excellent education. My husband and I couldn't be happier, and we look forward to many years here.

Posted February 9, 2006

Our daughter is in Pre-K 4 this year. She is learning so much in this environment. I am very impressed with the caliber of her teachers. She is socializing well and preparing for Kindergarten. I have also met the Kindergarten teachers she will have next year and they are wonderful as well. Several of the teachers I've met this year have been with the school for >20 years. I am amazed @ the innovative teaching styles of these folks. The school is very small and the parents and teachers are engaged in every aspect. We have attended several school sponsored activities and found the older students to be very friendly and nuturing w/the small kids. Athletics are available but not as competitive as the local schools. However, academics are the priority and not athletics. We are happy thus far and intend to stay as long as our child continues excelling.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander N/A 0%
Two or more races N/A 3%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school University of Georgia (Honors Program)
Emory College (GA)
Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech)
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 2% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 98% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 0% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 0% (2013)
Percentage of students going directly into the workforce 0% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation University of Georgia (Honors)
Georgia Institute of Technolog
Emory University
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
French
Chinese (Mandarin)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Apple Distinguished School (2013)
  • Most Challenging High Schools in America (2012)
  • STEMM FInalist Award (2012)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Susan G. Komen Foundation (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Science club

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Girls on the run

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mark Toth
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Some boarding, some day
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track
  • Hybrid
  • Independent Study
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Multi-aged
  • Outdoor / Farm-based
  • Project-based
  • STEM
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Outdoor learning lab
  • Parent center
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Graphics
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Admission Ambassadors
  • Arts and crafts
  • Chess club
  • Community service
  • Debate
  • Drama club
  • Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA)
  • Foreign language and culture club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor