International Academy of Smyrna

Charter | K-8 | 960 students

Our school is best known for our rigorous academics.

Posted March 13, 2014

I see many complaints about the school and while there are things that need to change and things that I do not like over all the education that my daughter is receiving is fantastic. The teachers that she has had are engaged and love the students. The topics covered are relevant to the world today and push her to investigate more on her own time. She is driven to be a citizen of our community and is developing an understanding of how important sharing your time and energy with others is. We had an issue with bullying last year which was resolved quickly and effectively and allowed my daughter and the other student to become friends which is the best possible outcome. She loves the afterschool programs that are offered and as a parent that has to use aftercare every day, so do I. She is excited to go to school and learn and that is all I can ask for. Parent volunteers are important to the school and the student, support from parents is just as important. I do with the administration was more visible and available to parents. Only having office hours during school hours makes it very difficult to develop a rapport with parents. Overall though they are doing a good job.

Posted October 4, 2013

This school is ridiculous. These teachers have no care in the world do they? My child is sick and tired of having to be bullied by the students. Why these students have not been expelled, I do not know. We have to conference with these lousy teachers that have my child crying everyday. They play as if this is a game. Yes there are a few teachers that were very nice but only one stood out for not having an attitude with the students. If you want to work this job you need to act like it. Thank GOD they have a new principal because the current ones are very unruly

Posted September 12, 2013

If you have a child that may not "fit into mold" I would not suggest sending your child here. My son's teacher was fresh out of school with none to very little training/experience. She was given a classroom full of 20+ rowdy kindergartners without assistance. My son had some behavior/learning issues at school. They all seemed baffled by his behavior and instead of trying to help me & my child they disenrolled him 3 months into the school year. No sympathy, no compassion, no real care for my child. I understand funding and charter school issues. It was really just a waste of my time and a true disservice to my child. That situation forced me to move to a much better school district. I also agree that the lack of professionalism and enthusiasm is ever so present at IAS! So glad they disenrolled my son! He's doing much much better and thriving at another school. He's actually been diagnosed as gifted... Something I would not have learned had he remained at IAS. The only reason I give 2 stars is b/c the facility is nice

Posted September 1, 2013

My experience with the school has largely been good and my niece loves it. The staff has always been nice to us and most of the teachers are good although some lack experience and it shows. The Spanish teachers are probably the best in that subject. The biggest problem with this school is the selection process which is basically like buying a lottery ticket. This results in some students and parents that get in that really don't fit in. They think the rules don't apply to them and that attitude trickles down to their children. I think they need to change from a lottery to actually interviewing parents and students both in writing and orally to make sure they understand and can fit into the culture of the school.

Posted August 25, 2013

I recently removed my child from IAS after attending K-3. We consisting loved the friendly after school staff. We had a good K was good but his teacher left because of the low pay. His 1st grade teacher was competent but cold and probably better suited for older children. His second grade teacher was slightly unprofessional but competent. The wheels fell off third grade. My son's reading teacher would rarely return emails & he consistently earned low grades in this subject even though he only missed one question in this section on the CRCT. His main teacher gave him great grades but he really wasn't learning. He always earned As in her class but barely passed that subject on the CRCT. The homework load also doesn't equate to better learning & I was forced to teach a lot of things at home. We also dealt with a bullying situation that took months to resolve & I had to put my son in counseling to help him through. Leadership is lacking & I believe this filtered down to the children which led to bullying. If you have a public school rated < 5 of great schools this place may be better but if you can afford a private school or your public school is rated higher I would skip IAS.

Posted August 15, 2013

The administration, staff, and teachers of IAS have no business of being around any children. My daughter completed K and 1st grade at this school. It got worse and worse. I had no idea that this level of incompetence was even possible in the elementary school setting! First, my daughter had a ridiculous amount of homework which was not related to the material she was tested on at all. Her teacher yelled at kids all day long instead of teaching. I had to email the teacher on regular bases to find out what they covered in class and teach it to my kid (on top of all the homework) at home in order to get a good grade on a test. And that is EVERY subject! (But the Spanish teacher was awesome!) Second, while volunteering at the school, all I heard was staff yelling at the children to be quiet. They went as far as forcing even elementary school kids, including K, to stand facing the wall with hands on the wall for talking during lunch! To conclude, we moved to a better school district. Honestly, IAS is just as bad as the other "bad" schools in the area. Not sure why they get funding... And I am even more amazed they got IB certified. Makes me doubt the whole education system.

Posted August 7, 2013

This is a horrible school. All they seem to care about is how much money you can donate and how volunteer hours you did. My child went in 2012 for kindergarten. The front desk and administration people are the most unfriendliness people there-extremely rude. You can stand there for 5 minutes before they acknowledge you. The only great teachers are gym teachers and speech therapists. My Childs kindergarten teacher was unfriendly and rude as well. She was almost never there as she didn't feel well as she was pregnant. I never knew what class my child was in, they separated the children into separate classes. My child always complained how mean this teacher was. They actually ordered the substitute teacher over the original. My child was hurt at the school and no one called me, they said oh I didn't realize it. When I complained and wanted to talk to the principal the office personnel would not let me and said there were levels of personnel I had to go to and the principal would than decide to talk to me. Nerveless, we moved to canton area to a better school for our child so they would never go to this horrible school again. PARENTS BEWARE! NOT A GREAT SCHOOL!!

Posted April 26, 2013

Wouldn't it be great if the students in grades 5 through 8 got an optional homework assignment to write an anonymous review of IAS, and to share their views, both positive and negative. This would probably provide a very helpful insight into the school, its culture, the staff, programs that are successful, as well as areas for improvement. Parents tend to fall into two categories: They are either 'cheerleaders' for the school, or they are highly critical. Students, on the other hand, have a range of experiences at school, and sharing this information could be beneficial to prospective parents and students.

Posted April 25, 2013

The Learning and Safety of the School,also the way the Dressed in school.Other things are,the staff and teachers that work here,the way they communicate with parents and students.

Posted April 23, 2013

IAS is a school of choice, and parents make the decision to have their children attend IAS for individual reasons. The school started with a lot of potential, but sadly, there have been many disappointments lately. Whether or not the school receives IB certification is unclear, but one thing that is clear is that the overall quality of education is not acceptable. The school seems to cater to students in EIP (Early Intervention Program), while the needs of students capable of learning at a higher level are essentially ignored. Combine that with the "No Child Left Behind" directive, and you have a situation where essentially every child is left behind. Don't get me wrong, EIP is very important and essential, but so is having appropriate programs for students at the other end of the curve. IAS worked for a while. Now it is not working, which is very unfortunate. Some changes must be made at this school.

Posted April 22, 2013

IAS is the most dysfunctional organization I have ever encountered. There is absolutely no communication from the administration or the teachers. No organization, no, no professionalism, no standards in place. No check and balance system in place to see what your child is learning in class, what the assignments are or what their grades are. Progress reports and report cards come home weeks late. No focus on the student s well-being. The administrative team is a complete joke. They are only worried about image. They ignore parent s concerns and allow issues to go unresolved because they don t want to deal with them or make the time. They allow rude, immature, incompetent teachers to bully students. There are some great teachers at the school and I praise them for trying to do the best they can . How much a parent volunteers at the school is not going to make it a great experience for their children; it s having nurturing teachers that they feel comfortable asking help from, it s knowing that they matter and not just a number, that there is support from counselors or administrators when they are needed.

Posted January 29, 2013

I have an 8 year old daughter who has attended IAS since kindergarten. She absolutely loves her school! I love it too. I am an educator and understand that no school is perfect. (which reflects my 4 star rating). Parents are required to volunteer and I have done above and beyond my required hours since my child started. I've read some recent reviews and believe that everyone has a right to their own opinion. Teachers and administrators at IAS are professional and intelligent. Working at a charter school, which is still very new, is challenging. IAS is still establishing itself and working on making a great footprint here in Smyrna. The IB Curriculum is a highlight and the recent renovations are fabulous. Every school has it's positives and negatives. Don't believe every angry review and if you truly want to know more about the school get several opinions.Contact a PTA representative. Active parents who participate in creating a wonderful school experience for their children will give you their honest opinion. Don't complain, get involved wherever your child attends I am grateful to save 20k per year...private school would be my next option if IAS wasn't available.

Posted November 16, 2012

My child is in grade k. I read reviews about this school and really wished I had listened. The rudeness of the staff, lack ot respect for Parents and the unprofessionalism is just ridiculous. They only care about one thing MONEY. They never miss a beat when it comes to fundraising. I am done. I am pulling my child out as soon as he is done with this year. If you are considering this school for your child, DO NOT BOTHER. LOOK SOME WHERE ELSE. May be when they start losing students, they will wake up and smell the coffee. BUNCH OF RUDE, MONEY HUNGRY PEOPLE.

Posted November 13, 2012

My child has attended this school for the past 5 years and it continues to get worse. The reviews were padded. I was there that day when it was done. A lot of the teachers are immature, rude and do not know how to teach. Parents often pay for tutors or come home and reteach. I should have taken my chances with a traditional public school. It is a beautiful building with barely anything of value inside. Hoping to transfer.

Posted May 1, 2012

There is no procedure in place for bullying. This school put a band aid on real issues at hand because they do not want the publicity. The Assistant Principle needs to go home.

Posted February 8, 2012

I'm the grandmother of a 2nd grader, reviewing from a distance. As a retired teacher/principal, I see an thoroughly engaged 7 yr old who loves school and cannot wait to tell me about her latest school project. I am excited by how challenging and engaging the work sounds. Every time I see her, her vocabulary is larger, her knowledge of the world around her is greater, and she is more poised and self-assured. I only withhold the 5th star because I'm not there in person, but the proof is in the pudding. This school is doing something right.

Posted February 3, 2012

I must say that this is my 3rd year here. My sons K and firsta grade teachers set the bar pretty high. This year has been a FAIL!! His 3rd grade teacher is awful!! She never returns emails and she is rude to my child. She told him he has diarrhea of the mouth!! Who does that!! I can't wait for the year to be over!!!

Posted February 1, 2012

I hate this school but love the acedemics! Since the beginning of school the rules seem to change every few months. I've researched it and its not a charter school it's now public. The restrictions on the girls tights is beyond ridiculous and book bag rules to Focus on if the uniform is inappropriate. Focus on the fact that the teachers don't follow doctors orders or allergy warning. Kids having reactions walk to the nurse alone! Children wet there clothes rather than let children use the rest rooms when the time comes. Homework comes without full instructions. I can't wait til this years over. Both my kids and nieces will not be returning next year!

Posted January 25, 2012

This is my daughter's second year at IIAS and I love it. The quality of the education is enlightening and challenging for the children, the teachers can be easily contacted and involved, and the administrators take an active role as well. For those that complain about the police being at the school, they are there to control those parents that do not know how to follow directions. If the parents do not follow directions how would you expect the children to do the same. Lead by example. In addition, the school also offers many different programs for after school students, which I think is great for those parents that want their child/ren to be continually exposed to different things (instead of having them just "watched" or let them just "play".

Posted January 1, 2012

My daughter has been at this school since 1st grade. She is now in the 4th. We have seen many changes at this school and many staff members change. I can honestly say that even with all of that, her education has not suffered. When I speak with other friends who have children in other schools, cities, states, etc, she is on point if not ahead. I don't know what people posting negative comments on this site expect from a school other than a good, safe environment, where your children can learn and have an enriching school experience. Contact Cobb county police and find out how many incident reports they have here compared to other schools. There's always something positive going on here. If you as a parent need to be coddled and made to feel special, maybe you need to go somewhere else where the parents needs are placed in front of the children's. Something as petty as carpool should not deter your child's education. Get up early and get here on time. The staff is here to teach our children and they do a great job of that. They put the needs of the child first. The ASP program offers many different activities for children that aren't offered elsewhere. Look up other schools and see.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

67 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

45 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Male 47%N/A51%
Female 53%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Kari Schrock
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (678) 370-0981

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• International Baccalaureate (IB)
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Global

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Foreign language club: Spanish

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

6 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year