International Academy of Smyrna

Charter | K-8 | 960 students

Our school is best known for our rigorous academics.

Posted April 8, 2014

IAS puts kids first! Test scores improve year over year and class sizes remain small. My son has been a student for the past 5 yrs and i am please with the progree I see every year.

Posted April 8, 2014

My kids have attended IAS for 4 years and the first couple of years were tough but with the change in administration and the adaption of the IB curriculum, I have noticed significant changes. All of the teachers my kids have had so far have been positive and passionate about teaching. We had one instance where we recieved a new teacher fresh out of college and that presented a challenge because she was not used working in a classroom setting. However, half way through the year things changed. The PTA is very engaged and they do a lot for the school. The population is diverse and I value that considering we live in a diverse world. Overall, I think IAS is a great school to send your children to. Like any school, you have ups and downs but if you stick with IAS you won't be disappointed.

Posted April 8, 2014

Iputting it lightly. I have been a part of several of private, charter, college-preparatory independent schools. But, I have never ever seen a school so organized, so focus where the performance of Excellence is a day to day effort and routine for the Principle, Teachers and volunteer Parents at (IAS). I was sure this kind of service would only be displayed during Open House, P.T.A. or other times we guest here at the school. This is a continual day to day thing that I envision and come in contact with every day that I show up at (IAS). My granddaughter has been so impressed with every teacher she has learned under from Kindergarten up unto now 1st grade. I often assist her with homework she reads on a regular bases (4) books a week this is an assignment that started in Kindergarten and now in 1st Grade she already reads on a 2nd Grade level. This year all her grades have been 92 and above!!! She has really exceled; she speaks some Spanish as a second language. Which she achieved at (ISA) with the assistance of her Teacher.. This school has dedicated teachers exude contagious intellectual energy. It s all contagious!

Posted April 8, 2014

IAS is awesome!! We've been here since day 1 and have seen the improvements. I like the small classes, the fact that it's K-8 and the use of uniforms. Our teachers are dedicated to our students. Mandatory parent volunteer hours helps increase patent involvement and awareness.

Posted April 8, 2014

wonderful school, kids all doing great, homework very challenging, but worth the time. Students and family centred

Posted April 7, 2014

I have a son in kindergarten who reads at a 3rd grade level and has a very kind and patient teacher. I also have a 6th grader who has gone there for 7 years. Huge improvements, dedicated and accessible principal and asst principal, and modern / clean facility. They are aware of certain areas for growth with specific strategies to achieve their goals. Great choice for Smyrna and surrounding families.

Posted April 7, 2014

OIAS is one of the best charter school, the best thing about this school is how involved the parents to support the students and staff to ensure the continued excellence. I am very proud of the process I see every day in my children due to the curriculum. IAS gets an A in my book.

Posted April 7, 2014

IAS has been the best school for my son. The teachers my son has had during his 2 years there have been great, and my son is doing so much better since he started going there. The teacher dedication is evident. I really appreciate the new changes with the new administration and look forward to the 2014-2015 school year. I know there are challenges but I have seen improvement this year and hope it continues. One change I would like to see is a more open door policy concerning parents participating in the classroom.

Posted April 7, 2014

We have been with IAS since it's inception, in fact, our child began Kindergarten with the inaugural class as the school. While it is not a secret that the lower grades (elementary school grades K-5) have progressed well throughout the school's existence, it is also clear to most of us that the middle school needs some help in best shaping students (and in some cases parents). I am encouraged by the fact that the school administrators have recognized that the middle school needs to be "pushed" harder towards excellence and in identifying (read as: Being humble enough to admit that there are issues that need to be addressed) this need. That said, while the school may have it's growing pains, I am encouraged by their efforts and progress and can say that I am quite satisfied with the IB education that my children are receiving. Can things be better - YES. Most schools can say the same thing. Are they working on being better and initiating a higher standard - YES. All schools CANNOT say this, and thus, I believe that this school has a higher purpose and strong components that will allow it to get there.

Posted April 7, 2014

I love IAS. My son is in Kindergarten and has a wonderful teacher. If I email her she responds quickly . The curriculum in place for kindergarten is amazing. I work with children in Atlanta and I see the difference education wise. The only complaint I had was in the beginning of the year when they didn't want them wearing tennis shoes but about 2 weeks later they changed the policy to allow them. Which was wonderful because my son is hard on shoes. I love that volunteer hours are mandatory because it shows that the parents really value the education IAS has to offer. Overall IAS IS A GREAT SCHOOL AND I LOOK FORWARD TO THE YEARS TO COME!!! :)

Posted April 7, 2014

IAS is a school of choice for parents who choose to have children destined to succeed. My son is in the 1st grade and I couldn't have dreamt of a more caring, stern and challenging teacher, class and staff. I truly feel that I have a community of professionals dedicated to his success. He was recently accepted into the gifted program which is extremely challenging. To see what this school is able to accomplish with the limited resources its provided with is amazing. Unlike King Springs headed by the mayors sister with unlimited resources, IAS manages to provide kids with learning experiences through creativity. No school is perfect but it's perfect for my son!

Posted April 7, 2014

My school is International Academy of Smyrna - IAS and I love this school. My kids are in 1st and 3rd grade. Their teachers are very engaged and keep us informed of any updates. If any issues arise the are quick to take action and resolve the problem. The academics are on point and challenge the kids. The homework is appropriate and also challenging for growth.

Posted April 7, 2014

I am a teacher at the International Academy of Smyrna. I feel it an honor to be part of such a great school. The staff and administration work very hard around the clock. We also have wonderful parents. Everyone is involved and works together to ensure the success of the students.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 7, 2014

I am writing this review as a parent. My daughters (I have 2) have attended this school for 5 years. Each one has looked forward to the first day of school every year. We have been blessed with caring and concerned teachers. One will be graduating from high school this year while the other will be graduating from elementary school. My 8th grader has been accepted to the IB Program at Campbell High School. Each child has always exceeded 4 out of 5 standards on the CRCT. While the school is not perfect (as are none of them), I wouldn't want them anywhere else. What I try to remember is that I am their parent. I have EVERYTHING to do with their educational success. I familiarize myself with the standards during the summer and make certain to stay actively involved in their scholastic careers. I am happy my kids are here. Again, if we ALL do our parts our children will be successful wherever they go.

Posted April 7, 2014

Great school with great innovations with the changing and challenging world. Love the high challenges that kids are given from kindergarten. I have 2 kids in this school love it.

Posted March 13, 2014

I see many complaints about the school and while there are things that need to change and things that I do not like over all the education that my daughter is receiving is fantastic. The teachers that she has had are engaged and love the students. The topics covered are relevant to the world today and push her to investigate more on her own time. She is driven to be a citizen of our community and is developing an understanding of how important sharing your time and energy with others is. We had an issue with bullying last year which was resolved quickly and effectively and allowed my daughter and the other student to become friends which is the best possible outcome. She loves the afterschool programs that are offered and as a parent that has to use aftercare every day, so do I. She is excited to go to school and learn and that is all I can ask for. Parent volunteers are important to the school and the student, support from parents is just as important. I do with the administration was more visible and available to parents. Only having office hours during school hours makes it very difficult to develop a rapport with parents. Overall though they are doing a good job.

Posted October 4, 2013

This school is ridiculous. These teachers have no care in the world do they? My child is sick and tired of having to be bullied by the students. Why these students have not been expelled, I do not know. We have to conference with these lousy teachers that have my child crying everyday. They play as if this is a game. Yes there are a few teachers that were very nice but only one stood out for not having an attitude with the students. If you want to work this job you need to act like it. Thank GOD they have a new principal because the current ones are very unruly

Posted September 12, 2013

If you have a child that may not "fit into mold" I would not suggest sending your child here. My son's teacher was fresh out of school with none to very little training/experience. She was given a classroom full of 20+ rowdy kindergartners without assistance. My son had some behavior/learning issues at school. They all seemed baffled by his behavior and instead of trying to help me & my child they disenrolled him 3 months into the school year. No sympathy, no compassion, no real care for my child. I understand funding and charter school issues. It was really just a waste of my time and a true disservice to my child. That situation forced me to move to a much better school district. I also agree that the lack of professionalism and enthusiasm is ever so present at IAS! So glad they disenrolled my son! He's doing much much better and thriving at another school. He's actually been diagnosed as gifted... Something I would not have learned had he remained at IAS. The only reason I give 2 stars is b/c the facility is nice

Posted September 1, 2013

My experience with the school has largely been good and my niece loves it. The staff has always been nice to us and most of the teachers are good although some lack experience and it shows. The Spanish teachers are probably the best in that subject. The biggest problem with this school is the selection process which is basically like buying a lottery ticket. This results in some students and parents that get in that really don't fit in. They think the rules don't apply to them and that attitude trickles down to their children. I think they need to change from a lottery to actually interviewing parents and students both in writing and orally to make sure they understand and can fit into the culture of the school.

Posted August 25, 2013

I recently removed my child from IAS after attending K-3. We consisting loved the friendly after school staff. We had a good K was good but his teacher left because of the low pay. His 1st grade teacher was competent but cold and probably better suited for older children. His second grade teacher was slightly unprofessional but competent. The wheels fell off third grade. My son's reading teacher would rarely return emails & he consistently earned low grades in this subject even though he only missed one question in this section on the CRCT. His main teacher gave him great grades but he really wasn't learning. He always earned As in her class but barely passed that subject on the CRCT. The homework load also doesn't equate to better learning & I was forced to teach a lot of things at home. We also dealt with a bullying situation that took months to resolve & I had to put my son in counseling to help him through. Leadership is lacking & I believe this filtered down to the children which led to bullying. If you have a public school rated < 5 of great schools this place may be better but if you can afford a private school or your public school is rated higher I would skip IAS.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

67 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

45 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Male 47%N/A51%
Female 53%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Kari Schrock
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (678) 370-0981

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• International Baccalaureate (IB)
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Global

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Foreign language club: Spanish

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

6 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year