International Academy of Smyrna

Charter | K-8 | 960 students

Our school is best known for our rigorous academics.

Posted December 16, 2011

We are thrilled with IAS. Our daughter began in kindergarten at this school and is now in 1st. She is excelling! I am an academic snob and have no doubt that my daughter is getting a fantastic education. The mission statement that the kids learn and recite daily reinforces the attitude of "global-thinking" and being caring individuals. Through volunteering at the school we have met many wonderful families. For those that complain about carpool - see if you can design and better system and propose it to the administration. They have tried several different formats to try to determine the most efficient one. For those complaining about uniforms and other such issues - remember you made a choice to send your child to IAS and were made aware of the requirements prior to coming to the school. You can't and shouldn't expect to change the rules because they don't suit you at a particular moment. Parents need to stop expecting the schools and teachers to raise their children and take some accountability. I am thrilled with the school, have recommended it to several families and will continue to do so.

Posted December 4, 2011

I am happy with the academics of the school, but I am very unhappy with one particular assistant principal. Carpool seems to be an issue with this school. Police are there daily, though I am not sure why? This principal is very rude to parents that are "walkers" to the school. He has followed me OFF OF SCHOOL PROPERTY AND DOWN IN FRONT OF PUBLIX AND ACROSS THE PARKING LOT to "see where I am going"... Is it really his business where I walk to after I drop off my kids? NO! He is following me to see if I get into a car. Well I am not and after confronting school staff about his behavior, he still hasn't stopped, and he also does this to other parents walking their kids to school. I would gladly give this school 5 stars but after dealing with that man, I will only give 1.

Posted December 3, 2011

I agree with the last parent.... this IS a school of choice and its your decision to take you child to this school or not... as for the uniforms... do you not purchase new clothes for your children at the beginning of each school year anyways? My son has been at this school for 4 years and there would be no way that he would get the education at the school district (Labelle) we are currently in that he is receiving now. I am grateful for this school and its staff.... they have gone above and beyond to make sure my son is on track with his education. And speaking of education, my son who is in elementary school was assisting my nephew in 8th grade at another Cobb School with his homework. How is it that my elementary child is studying the same course of study as an 8th grader. As for car pool, I have no issues with car pool, the volunteers do a great job at making sure our students get in and out safely. At least I know my children son is getting to school safely.

Posted September 1, 2011

Our son has attended this school since its opening days 4 years ago. We have been very satisfied with the quality of teaching provided to our son and now our daughter for the past 2 years. They are excited to go school everyday and my son has done quite nicely on his CRCT scores every year. This is a new school started from the ground up by dedicated parents. The improvement in all aspects of the school has been exceptional considering the short amount of time this school has been open. This is not a generic comment! By the way before you criticize the school for their poor quality of academics, please make sure to post a comment that has good spelling and grammar...

Posted August 31, 2011

I will be honest as possible and say that the staff, and constituents are the most illiterate bunch of adults Ive ever dealt with. They not only do not know how to separate adult conversations from children, but one of the staff members have festered negative energy for over 2 years for my husband as much as to call the police for a carpool issue that was an exception from parent to child pickup, I still haven't gotten the appropriate papers for our service provided to parents that cnat get their children to this school. After Ms Clark left for whatever reason the replacements are incompetent in caring for children with a heart, so much that they will let their negative emotions run the school. In the end my son has taken his smarts to another school to help THEIR scores.

Posted August 10, 2011

The PADDED POSITIVE REVIEWS were mostly made feb. 5. Most were made on the same week in 2011 How long has this school been opne for? This is questionable to say the least. The comments are all mostly generic statements. What a shame. This school is rotten to the core. I guess they did not want to give themselves all five stars so that it would not look tooo suspicious.

Posted August 10, 2011

I visited this school. It is run poorly. I would steer far from all the Imagine schools especially Imagine Smyrna. I heard worse (if that's posible) about Imagine Mableton. Two thumbs down... I would not send my child thier even if my life depended on it!

Posted July 23, 2011

The reviews for this school are questionable. Look at the dates of submission. It's not logical that so many "unknown" parent reviews are submitted on the SAME DAY and so FAVORABLE AS WELL! They sound similar using words like, "care, caring" citing test scores! What parent says these things!!!? Either four stars or five stars!! Schools need students for funding and it seems clear the reviews are PADDED possibly by faculty and staff. WOW! We need fair reviews. I know I won't send my kids to this school now.

Posted March 24, 2011

In response to my recent volunteer day at the school I have come away with an even more positive outlook on the environment in which my children learn. I volunteered nearly five hours at the school and at the end of the day I found that the atmosphere at the school was very positive and encouraging yet disciplined enough to be conducive toward promoting a healthy learning platform. In my daily communications with my children I have found that my volunteer day visit is most likely a reflection of daily day to day operations at the school. The staff at the school is generally pleasant, helpful, and mission oriented from the principal to the janitor. I think good leadership in education starts at the top and trickles down to our children. It seems evident to me that the principal tries to promote leadership in education by example. I admit that I have not been able to spend a great amount of time at the school in each of my childrens classrooms but, I do feel that the thirty hours required for attendance at the school does promote parental involvement. If you are a parent considering our school I hope this review helps you in your decision.

Posted February 20, 2011

I was initially skeptical about sending my child to this school because she went to a private school for pre--k. She was already reading on a first grade level, so I did not want her to fall behind. Her teacher is excellent when we had the first initial conference she told me she noticed where my daughter was academically and she would make sure that she would continue to progress forward. She immediately changed her word list and challenged her by requiring her to spell these words each week. My daughter is now on a second grade reading level. I am so happy that I decided to place my daughter in this school.

Posted February 11, 2011

I was so excited to be given the opportunity to bring my child to this school, but it end up being a total disappointment. The classes were too big with one single teacher. My child s teacher had good intentions, but she was left alone to deal with 4 very difficult children, and spent much of her days disciplining the kids, rather than teaching them. The school is loud and disorganized at all times of the day and teachers sometimes can shout a bit too much for my taste. ASP is a mess. I see it more as cheap babysitting, but I don t think it is even safe. My child walked away from the park to the Publix parking lot without anyone noticing! I decided to move my child to another school four months into the school year. It was the best decision for us!

Posted February 5, 2011

High academic standards with a particualr emphasis on reading and writing. Modern well thought out facilities. Very supportive of my daughters education.

Posted February 5, 2011

This school has been excellent. My son has some special needs and they have more than accomodating. The teachers and the principle are very involved and engaged. My son loves this school.

Posted February 5, 2011

We had our daughter in private school,another parent reccommend IIAS.We so glad we made that decision because my daughter loves the school.Thank you all for all you do,you guys are the best.We have reccommended this school to a lot of friends and families that we know. Kubrat Oladejo.

Posted February 5, 2011

IIAS is an excellent school with outstanding leadership. My daughter attended IIAS her first two years of school and when the school was relocated we decided to go back to the school closer to where we live. During the year there, we realized how much more challenging and well rounded the IIAS curriculum was. Well we're back at IIAS and enjoying every minute.

Posted February 5, 2011

Imagine International Academy of Smyrna has a good, challenging curriculum and staff. The principal is a caring professional and has a wonderful demeanor.

Posted February 5, 2011

Imagine Academy of Smyrna is an excellent school! I feel it would be a benefit to any child that can attend. After relocating here from New York, I was not pleased with the public school education that my children received. Now since they've been at Imagine, I have seen a boost in the self esteem, grades, and love for education. They provide dance, sports, all types of extra curricular activities so that the children aren't missing out on anything. There is excellent parent/teacher communication and open door policy if there are concerns. I have a daughter in 3rd grade, a son in1st, and one entering kindergarten in the fall! They all love Imagine!!!!!!

Posted February 5, 2011

This is our first year at IIAS. The kids are having a good year. The principal and administrative team is very supportive!

Posted February 5, 2011

IIAS is an excellent school! My son is in Kindegarten. Our first year has been fantastic. He learns on a higher level than the average kindergarten classes in public school. The teachers are very great with communicating with parents regarding, school work, behavior and etc. If you chose Imagine you have chosen a great shcool with a great enviorment. Imagine is a school of excelence for sure.

Posted February 5, 2011

This is my kids first year here and over all I love it, with the exception of the carpool and my 3rd grader having to change teacher for the 3rd time this year. That's bothersome to me because of the difficulty I have with him and school already.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

67 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

45 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Male 47%N/A51%
Female 53%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Kari Schrock
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (678) 370-0981

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• International Baccalaureate (IB)
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Global

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Foreign language club: Spanish

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

6 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year