International Academy of Smyrna

Charter | K-8 | 960 students

Our school is best known for our rigorous academics.

Posted February 5, 2011

I moved from Rochester, NY three years ago. I have been struggling to find the "right" school for my children. I've tried public, a private Christian School and now Imagine. Imagine has given us the best experience so far. The teachers are enthusiastic, caring, and easy to communicate with whenever issues arise. The principal's (and vice principal's) involvement is evident. The teachers and the administration are very passionate about ensuring a safe and creative environment for the children. Parent involvement is mandatory and necessary. We will return next year.

Posted February 5, 2011

Imagine International Academy of Smyrna is a great school with a rich learning environment and enriching curriculum. We are happy to have our daughter here and she is doing very well academically andis happy to be apart of this school.

Posted February 5, 2011

The International Academy of Smyrnais a school that offers an awesome opportunity for a student to get an education with a "personal touch". The school and staff really care about the students educational, personal, and socialble responsibility so each can be a positive contributor to socuiety.

Posted February 5, 2011

This is my daughters first year at IIAS. I am very pleased with the teachers and staff. I am very pleased with the learning foundation that they are giving to the kindergarten class. My daughter is excelling in numerous areas like math, reading and spelling. Her teacher is outstanding. She is a caring and understanding contribution to my child daily. I am pleased to hear my child say " Mrs. O'Shields taught me how to count like this and it is so much easier, Mommy". I am very excited to see that the school uses current day technology to assist kids with learning. My daughter is a pro on my laptop. The staff overall is very welcoming everytime I come into the school. As you can see I am very pleased with this exceptional school. You will not be disappointed.

Posted February 5, 2011

Imagine Smyrna is a great school. My children have been attending the school for 2 years. In that time I have seen the grades and confidence of my children increase. The principal and staff are also very helpful.

Posted February 5, 2011

This is our first year at this school and so far it has been a great experience. Our daughter (second grade) has grown so much. It is challenging but enjoyable which has made her transition easy. I apprecate the staff for their professionalism and care for the children. I hope the trend of educating continues because we would like very much to watch our daughter grow here. Keep up the good work

Posted February 5, 2011

This has been a wonderful learning experiance for my children. The teachers here really DO care. My child has learned how to express herself and show confidence in the ares of reading, something she has always struggled with. The excitement my children show when it's time to go to school is something that comes from within! The foundation for learning has truley been laid! My hats are off to the entire IIAS staff! Mrs. Clark you rock!

Posted February 5, 2011

My son began 1st grade at Imagine Smyrna. It is only February. He has advanced so much faster than I expected. He has an excellent teacher and loves reading, math and doing homework. My only concerns right now are quality of Admin communications and issues with parking. The PTA and the school administration communications are not as specific where challenges exist (parental visits & parking woes) esp. for new parents to schl. The principal,asst. principal need to communicate better with parents about visiting school at begin of year and parking conflicts. I was very disappointed to see several police parked outside the school when students returned in January to prohibit parents from legally parking in the parking lots adjacent to the school. No prior communication by admin to inform parents of police presense or to let us know that there were major parking issues. With that said, the school is still new so I expect improvements in these areas. So far, I have not decided yet if my son will return to the school next year but I would recommend the school to parents in the area.

Posted February 5, 2011

The first year was a little rocky! However thru the challenges the staff have shown true tenacity. They truley care about our children and strive to instill in them that they are leaders of the community. That they can achieve anything. The staff here at IIAS have been charged with an overwhelming task to shape the lives of each and everyone of these children... And they enbrace it with love and commitment! My hats are off to them!

Posted February 4, 2011

My Son loves IIAS and that makes me love IIAS even more!! This is our second year and we are looking forward to 6 more. The teachers and staff are great and that comes from the great leadership of Mrs. Clark. As a second grader my son is learning and enjoying all that IIAS has to offer. He particpates in afterschool programs which help make him a better citizen. IIAS is not perfect, however it is well on it's way to Excellence!!!

Posted February 3, 2011

We love Imagine Smyrna! The IB program is rigorous and appropriate for preparing our children to compete on a global scale. The first grade team of teachers developed a program that allows them to form 3-teacher clusters in which they separate students by reading level (low, mid, high) and teach each level using blended concepts from both IB with Gifted programs. The students are able to receive relevant instruction with their peers who are on their same reading level without being held back or left behind. The school leadership is strong and enthusiastic, while the vision is ambitious and clear. The student body is diverse and supported by very active parents. In fact, parents are required to volunteer at least 15 hours of their time (per parent) every year. Socially, the school is not where I'd like for it to be. It has the academic appeal of a private school, but socially... it's just not there yet. However, there are more than enough active parents there to lead the change. Perhaps a change in PTA leadership would help.

Posted February 3, 2011

This is my daughter's second year at Imagine Smyrna. I can't say enough about how wonderful our principal, Mrs. Clarke, our assistant principal, Mr. Hibbler, the teachers, and staff are! I have complete confidence that my child is receiving the best possible education. The IB cirriculum is challenging and provides a well-rounded, global approach to thinking and learning. Having a choice in our area is so important. Smyrna and Cobb County are so fortunate to have this school!

Posted February 3, 2011

Imagine is still a new school and had some initial bumps in the road when it first opened four years ago - there was a leadership transition, change of venue and other growing pains. However, since Principal Clarke has taken over, the leadership has been wonderful and the school just gets better and better. My daughter has been going for 3 years, and is currently in fourth grade. I think she is getting a strong education, including a gifted program, and excellent extracurricular programs. She's had wonderful teahers as well.

Posted February 2, 2011

This is our fourth year at IAS and we have been very pleased. The academics are outstanding - My child scored 148/150 on the CRCT this year and in the 99th percentile on the ITBS. The teachers work together as a team to come up with innovative and creative assignments. The classwork and homework are hands-on and encourage individuality and creativity. Our principal is straight forward and no-nonsense. The complainers are typically the rule-breakers. I've witnessed the unconditional love she has for the children on numerous occasions. She does a great job with positive reinforcement rather than negative disciplinary techniques. Overall, I am very pleased with the school. My only real complaint is class size. Unfortunatly there are too many kids per class for my taste, but I understand that'll be any public school.

Posted February 2, 2011

My son is in his second year at Imagine. (1st grader). I love the work they are doing and the project based learning of the IB program. I adore his teacher and love the way the staff interacts with the student. I haven't met one teacher that didn't know my son's name. Imagine is a wonderful learning experience.

Posted February 2, 2011

Great school with very dedicated teachers and staff. I love that the Principal holds EVERYONE accountable to all policies/procedures and rules including parents. Great field trips are planned for the kids. The work is very challenging and the kids are learning!!! Teachers are very giving of their time and always willing to help out.

Posted February 2, 2011

My son is a student at this school this is our first year in Charter. Our experience has been excellent! Being a working parent it is key for me to have constant communication with his teachers. Everyone responds to my requests or questions in a timely manner as well as use other avenues like blogs, to communicated what is going on in the school. I look forward to a continued partnership in this school.

Posted February 2, 2011

WE CAN'T SAY ENOUGH ABOUT HOW MUCH WE LOVE IMAGINE SMYRNA! OUR SON STARTED KINDERGARTEN IN THE NEW BUILDING LAST YEAR AND COULD NOT BE HAPPIER! WE ADORE MRS. CLARKE, THE PRINCIPAL, THE TEACHERS, AND THE STAFF! PARENTS ARE REQUIRED TO VOLUNTEER AND IT REALLY SHOWS WITH THE STUDENTS! CHILDREN WHO'S PARENTS ARE INVOLVED IN THEIR SCHOOLS SUCCEED! OUR SON HAS OVER A 100% IN ALL OF HIS CLASSES. HE IS ALSO INVOLVED IN AFTER SCHOOL CLUBS, WHICH A LOT OF SCHOOLS DON'T OFFER AT SUCH A YOUNG AGE! THIS IN MY OPINION IS THE BEST SCHOOL IN SMYRNA!!!

Posted February 2, 2011

We have a 3rd and 5th grader at this school. This is our third year at IIAS. It is an excellent school! IIAS is a great alternative to private school. Professional and courteous staff who care about the children first.

Posted February 2, 2011

This is our son's second year at IIAS. From the curriculum to the of unwavering commitment (and accountability) by the Principal and Teacher's, IIAS is the BEST! Our son LOVES going to school each day and is challenged both academically and personally to excel to be his best. Thank you IIAS!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

67 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

45 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Male 47%N/A51%
Female 53%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Kari Schrock
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (678) 370-0981

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• International Baccalaureate (IB)
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Global

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Foreign language club: Spanish

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

6 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year