International Academy of Smyrna

Charter | K-8 | 960 students

Our school is best known for our rigorous academics.

Posted February 2, 2011

IIAS IS A GREAT SCHOOL I TOOK MY SON OUT OF PUBLIC IN THE MIDDLE OF AUG 2010 AND HE HAS DONE AMAZING !!!! HE HAS AN EXCELLENT TEACHER THAT I COMMUNICATE WITH WELL AND EVERYDAY HE IS SAYING AND TELLING ME NEW THINGS THAT HE HAS LEARNED I LOVE BEING INVOLVED WITH DAILY ACTIVITIES AND WATCHING HIM PROGRESS SUCESSFULLY I PLAN ON HIM STAYING STILL 8TH GRADE !!!!!!

Posted February 2, 2011

I was somewhat shocked after reading some of the bad reviews. I am very happy with the school. The challenging curriculum enforces character building as well as academics. The schoolwork is much more advanced than the local public school. The staff is very knowledgable and friendly. All of this is a result of the strong leadership at the top. Best principal ever.

Posted February 2, 2011

we are in our 3rd year here at Imagine and we have enjoyed every year. the school has grown and continues to grow every year. i appreciate and enjoy the staff and faculty here. they really strive for the children to be WORLD learners! looking for to many more years here at Imagine!

Posted February 2, 2011

My child has been going to Imagine for 3years now and I see such improvements. Highly recommended if you are a parent who is not afraid of extra work.

Posted February 2, 2011

Our experience at IIAS has been wonderful. My daughter is being pushed daily to excel. I would like to thank the principal, Mrs Clarke for being the strong hand that helps to enforce the educational standards needed for our children to compete in the world. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted February 2, 2011

I have a first grader at IIAS and am very pleased with the program. I love the team teaching concept giving the children the experience of varying teaching styles . He has a wonderful core teacher who genuinely loves her job and goes the extra distance to make sure each student reaches their potential. I love the fact that parents have the opportunity to volunteer in the classroom and not just at special functions. I also like the support and encouragement the teachers get from the administration staff. Everyone seems to pull together to make sure the children have a rewarding experience. If I had to describe IIAS in a few words I would say "it's a public school with a private school atmosphere". The curriculum is very challenging but our child is learning things in first grade that I didn't learn until 3rd grade or higher. I babysit a child attending a regular public school in the same grade and the complexity of the two children's work is so vastly different that this child wants to do my child's homework because it's more interesting! This has been a great first year for us and we're looking forward to being able to go through the entire IIAS program.

Posted February 1, 2011

Love our Charter School! The academics cannot be compared to any other schools in our area. The work is challenging and very hard but I would much rather my child be challenged at a more academically enhanced school rather than be a superstar at a mediocre school! The staff is a true team at our school and everyone has a smile on their face! I actually walked in the other day to find the Principal and the Assistant Principal manning the front desk so that team could meet....bet that doesn't happen at other schools! I know parents who pulled their kids out due to their child struggling and then they go to the public schools and make straight A's...that alone should tell you how much more rigorous our curriculum is!!! I will gladly take homework, projects, essays, etc. over substandard education anytime!

Posted February 1, 2011

My child loves this school and is doing great there. I can only speak for his teachers, they are professional and engaged with the students. He is ready for 1st grade and he's only halfway through knidergarten.

Posted February 1, 2011

All I can say is.....overall, a great school. There will always be challenges but is how those challenges is the key. My daughter has been a student since kindergarden andis currently in the 2nd grade. If we could, we would be here until the 8th grade.

Posted February 1, 2011

My son has been at IIAS since kindergarten. He is now in 2nd grade and all of his teachers have been fabulous. They are very caring and often go the extra mile, they are quite dedicated. The curiculum is great with Spanish and P.E. every day. The principle is accessible, involved and knows each student by name. Required parent volunteer hours keeps the parents involved too. The whole environment is warm, caring and nurturing, I would not have my son go to school anywhere else

Posted February 1, 2011

Imagine Smyrna offers students a challenging curriculum above and beyond GA Standards. If you are looking for a growing school that challenges students to grow academically and personally, Imagine Smyrna is a great choice. The teachers and administration are extremely dedicated to the well-being of each and every student.

Posted January 6, 2011

I am truly amazed by the dedication of the teachers and staff who go above and beyond the call of duty to provide a quality education to the children of IIAS. I appreciate the efforts of the school to incorporate the IB program. I feel welcomed when I walk in the door by the extraordinary front office team. The building administration is responsive and reactive to concerns of the school's stakeholders. I find that IIAS is a great "choice" for the families of Cobb County. The school has created a Character Council to empower students to become involved in the progressive movement of the school.

Posted January 6, 2011

After months of debating where to take our Kindergartner we finally decided to give school choice a chance with Imagine International Academy of Smyrna. To our delight our daughter has grown both socially and academically. For example the students had an American Symbols project that they were able to present and it was outstanding. Many of the students were confidant in presenting their home made symbols like, The Statue of Liberty, The Washington Monument, and The American Flag. Her teacher has been wonderful. She responds to emails and concerns that we have as a family. She sends positive notes home about her progress and my daughter is always bragging about how much they have learned during the day. Communication with the administration is timely and positive. It seems like IIAS really does have a family atmosphere. I am able to meet other parents during volunteer opportunities that have let me know that we made the correct choice of sending our daughter here. We will be sending our son here next year.

Posted December 27, 2010

I took my daughter out of this school. It is horrible and the principal is the most unprofessional, unethical, and dishonest person I have ever met. She does not care about the kids and is only concerned about her 'paycheck' which she stated in several open forums at the school in front of parents, teachers and kids. I don't know how she got the job. They obviously have very low standards for hiring aprincipal. I feel sorry for every childstill enrolled. I am glady paying for private school after that experience.

Posted September 15, 2010

This school is horrible! I took my daughter out after only 2 months. You wait in line for carpool for almost 2 hours to pick up your child. But most importantly, they send home 8-12 handouts (front and back) for your child to complete for homework and she wasn't getting done until 9-10 in the evening. I had a conference with the teacher and told her that quantity doesn't impress me. Sending home a lot of homework doesn't mean that you have an advanced curriculum especially when she's in the 3rd grade and completing 'Lets Tell Time' handouts. She learned how to tell time in Kindergarten & 1st grade. She's in the (regular) public school in my area now and is more challenged than she'd ever be at IIAS.

Posted May 27, 2010

This is our second year and I have seen the school change. It has grown by leaps and bounds. My daughter is so happy there. She is one of those kids born in september so she has always been way ahead of her class. My concern had been that she ought to adequately challenged. The teacher and principal rose to the occasion and indeed did challenge all those kids that are ahead as compared to their peers. My daughter was doing 2nd grade stuff while being in 1st grade. Kudos to 1st grade teachers, especially Ms.Cooper. I am looking forward to sending my second one there.

Posted May 25, 2010

What an awful experience this school was for our family. I feel for the parents that have children here because although everyone is afraid to say it, it's a terrible feeling to send your child to school with your fingers crossed each day. We have left the school due to a most unprofessional principal and have not looked back. Thankfully, that has been one of the best choices my husband & I have ever made for our family.

Posted April 27, 2010

Wonderful staff with great studnets and a nice building.

Posted April 26, 2010

Hard working and dedicated staff who works to meet the needs of the child and the family.

Posted April 25, 2010

Because they have a great staff who work hard to do what is best for their students.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

67 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

45 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Male 47%N/A51%
Female 53%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Kari Schrock
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (678) 370-0981

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• International Baccalaureate (IB)
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Global

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Foreign language club: Spanish

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

6 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year