Posted July 26, 2015
Going into its 9th year, when many charters have earned Blue Ribbon status, IAS is still a frustratingly under-performing school plagued by extreme teacher turnover, a rude, unresponsive, condescending, socially/ professionally incompetent Principal and a male AP who is her mirror image. Even worse, the Board continues to bring them back year after year. They don't return calls or e-mails, are rarely even seen out side their offices and stumble through Board meetings. We are woefully short of funding, so IAS is forced to over enroll every year- which betrays the charter school model. Our parents, most of whom are low income, have not empowered themselves or taken ownership of THEIR school. Our Board is hampered by a LACK of turnover/ fresh approaches and the constant meddling of the management company & its past his expiration date president and intrusive, slovenly operations manager, who just needs to go away- permanently. These conditions have made it impossible to establish a true charter school environment and the sort of high achievement that accompanies such an environment. We cannot keep good teachers, students, families or volunteers. If we don't get it together soon, I'm not sure how much longer we'll remain open.

International Academy of Smyrna 4

Posted July 09, 2015
My overall experience at IAS has been pleasant. My child had a teacher who cared about his learning and she found ways to help the class understand the subject in creative ways. The faculty and staff takes care of the students even if they are not in their classrooms. Yes, there are things that need to change but at the end of the day, I have the CHOICE to send my student to IAS. On another note, I have read the negative reviews that I have been written about this school. Just like any school, IAS has its challenges. One being the high turnover of teachers because the school does not have the resources to pay the teachers like the county. Secondly, ALL of the administration could be more consistent, not just the Principal and the Male Asst. Principal that someone mentioned in a previous comment. In addition, parents need to be more involved in schools, which is the reason for the mandatory volunteer hours. When students know that there parents are on campus or can come to help, then they tend to act better. I have also seen that if parents will follow directions concerning uniforms, then that teaches our children that there are rules and they must be followed even if you don't agree with them (as long as they are not harming your life or the safety of the students). It takes everyone to work together in order to make a school successful... administration, staff, teachers, parents and students. Once again, IAS is a great school and it has great potential! I look forward to many more years to come because I believe if we all work together and support one another instead of spreading negative comments, then we can be successful.

Posted May 10, 2015
ive been there for 5 years and I don't like it I don't etherize that u take your child here just because its a charter school don't make it different from a public school

Posted March 25, 2015
I have been at IAS for over 5 years. I have watch a school full of growth and potential be flushed away. The teacher turnover is horrible. There are more teachers in and out of the school it's like a rotating door out front. The current administration is a joke. It's sad when a parent doesn't even know who the principle is, and even worse when a student doesn't. I too have seen the "classy" picture of the leader of our school, and it saddens me that this would be put up by someone who is suppose to be a role model for our students. This is the first year I have seen any repercussions of student actions be addressed. Things need to change, the new parents coming in do not know what they are in for. I know ALOT of parents that are ready to pull their kids if things don't change soon.
3 people found this helpful

Posted March 12, 2015
I am completely & utterly shocked & offended by this, the latest blunder by the current "Principal" at IAS! I received word yesterday from several other parents that she, the Principal, posted on her own public profile page on Facebook, an absolutely inappropriate & borderline lewd photograph of herself sitting in the lap of a male stripper among a group of male strippers at a night club of some sort! I know this to be true, because I saw the photograph myself & have saved a screen shot of it! Of all the things I've heard about & witnessed from this Principal, this one takes the cake! I'm sure by now, she has taken down the photo, but thankfully, it's gone "viral" as the kids say & there are several copies of it circulating about! Is this the type of leadership we want & need at our school? Does this set the proper example for our students? Is she an ethically & morally responsible person? Obviously, the answer to all three questions is NO!!! This woman needs to be reported to Cobb County & the PSC. In short, she needs to be fired immediately! If she is there next year, I know for a fact that my family & several other families will not be returning!
10 people found this helpful

International Academy of Smyrna 5

Posted March 09, 2015
We have been at IAS for five years and am very pleased. I feel like its an extension of my village. I am active in the school which makes a difference in knowing teachers and administration. Additionally, they have a strong PTA which really helps support he programs. The current principal that is there now, has passion and doing a fine job leading her administration.
2 people found this helpful

International Academy of Smyrna 3

Posted January 13, 2015
i rated average only because i am hopeful that things will change at this school, otherwise it would have been 2 stars. many parents are lost with their new grading system and new no homework policy. lack of communication between parents and teachers, wrong information many times is given to parents about their children's grade, assignments, etc. too many parents are looking for other options for schooling instead of trying to stay at ias because the administration is going down hill. i hope they are not trying to set our kids up for failure. they want parents to be involved with their kid's education through volunteering and fundraising, but what about with their school work? i think ias needs to worry about their kids more- not just on how much money they are bringing in.
6 people found this helpful

International Academy of Smyrna 5

Posted October 28, 2014
I currently have 3 children at IAS, and this is our 2nd year. I have nothing but great things to say about IAS it's administrative staff, and the teachers. My children are excelling and every teacher they have had challenges them to reach higher achievement. For instance. my kindergartner could barely write his name, but he came out of kindergarten writing, reading and a honor roll student. He is now in 1st grade an a straight A student. Our 5th grader is reading on a high school level, a straight A student, CRCT scores were from the 890's to the 900's, and flourishes in the gifted program headed by Mrs. C. Bush. Our 3rd grader struggled in school and was in EIP (Early Intervention Program) and when the school was preparing for the CRCT the school offered free after school tutoring and Saturday tutoring. We took advantage of this and our 3rd grader passed the CRCT without difficulty. In my opinion the a lot of the problems come from the lack of parental support.

Posted September 10, 2014
This school has so much potential but it has become a mess. Administration is not trustworthy and I believe their act will be exposed soon. The turn over rate of teachers is high, which exposes faults from the top. They need to revamp the whole formula and get people who truly care, that's what charter schools are all about. Get people in there who do it for the KIDS.

Posted September 05, 2014
There's a TON of new teachers every year, the current principal (beginning 2013 school year) is seemingly clueless. IAS is on a slippery slope; this year they extended enrollment and asked the parents to refer IAS to families -JOKE! My family is disappointed in everything about IAS.We followed all rules:dress code, car pool, and volunteer hours. In return we got new teachers who can't catch up and provide educational instruction expected from an IB charter school and a principal who won't return calls/emails pertaining to concerns you have about your child's educational growth. It's almost comical how she dances around or ignores questions-except for it's real life. If you are looking to send your child to a place where the principal is clearly there to get a check and not qualified to run a school (qualifications is more than a picture frame with a degree), a higher teacher turn over rate that I've ever seen (less than 45% of the staff returns) and when you get more communication of what the SCHOOL needs (volunteers and MONEY) than educational needs of the children then this is the place for your family!

International Academy of Smyrna
2144 South Cobb Drive, Smyrna, GA  30080
Last modified International Academy of Smyrna is a Charter school that serves grades K-8
International Academy of Smyrna Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 178 reviews. Top