Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)

My daughter was here for 6 months. I withdrew her after countless of emails from the teacher saying that the class was behind because they would not stop talking. I was under the impression that she could not handle her class. Needless to say my daughter went to another school and the level that those 1st graders were on was way beyond what IAS was teaching. Spent so much money on uniforms that I now can't get rid of. This school is pointless the front desk and office staff are very rude. I would not recommend this school.

My child just went into Kindergarten so I am a new parent at this school. The communication is not good, it's impossible to know which web site you go to for what (a 1 pager with the links and for what would have been helpful), and it just seems like a never ending cycle of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Additionally, I've had several emails not responded to. I'm currently contemplating removing my child and moving them to the school he/she was zoned for. The school ratings don't show it being any worse than this one.

Amount of homework: Agree

Since my child is in Kindergarten, I feel the occasional homework assignments are adequate. I don't think at this age a multitude of homework is necessary.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

the teachers are amazing- if we could keep them at our school for more than 1 or 2 years- it would be wonderful!!!! i think we lost 30+ last year, maybe 25+ the year before???? i don't know, but it's not right!!

Develops character: Neutral

most kids- yes, however there is a bullying issue.. i don't think kids are being help accountable for their actions... so are- some are not.... not a fair system with the kiddos..

Develops character: Disagree

No I do not feel that this school develops honesty, integrity and fairness in its students. Character building does not seem to be an integral part of the "rigorous" curriculum. All discussions with the children about behavior and how they should treat one another is reactionary or based on a situation that recently occurred. They are graded on character traits but character building is not on the agenda.

I am a new parent at IAS and have two children enrolled. While my children are being challenged academically, I am very unhappy with the way the administration handles bullying and other behavioral issues. The principal is hands off, will ignore your email communications and will promptly tell you (if you approach her in person) that she does not handle bullying situations. "There is a protocol and you must contact your class dean." Meanwhile, there is no written bullying policy to refer to and teachers handle the situations on an ad-hoc basis. Children are not consistently corrected for teasing each other and calling each other names. Detention is a joke. My children's self-esteem and morale have suffered significantly in the past few months and I am already looking for a new school.

Love this school my child loves it, nice environment, parents are involve with school activities!

IAS is not only a great school, but a great community. The International Baccalaureate curriculum is excellent. Some have mentioned the high turnover of teachers here and that is an issue. However, I think it reflects the high turnover of teachers in all schools recently and to the lower pay at IAS than at regular public schools. However, my kids have benefited from young energetic teachers who are not yet burned out or jaded by the realities of teaching in America today. We only had a problem with one teacher and she has been terminated. Great school!

My overall experience at IAS has been pleasant. My child had a teacher who cared about his learning and she found ways to help the class understand the subject in creative ways. The faculty and staff takes care of the students even if they are not in their classrooms. Yes, there are things that need to change but at the end of the day, I have the CHOICE to send my student to IAS. On another note, I have read the negative reviews that I have been written about this school. Just like any school, IAS has its challenges. One being the high turnover of teachers because the school does not have the resources to pay the teachers like the county. Secondly, ALL of the administration could be more consistent, not just the Principal and the Male Asst. Principal that someone mentioned in a previous comment. In addition, parents need to be more involved in schools, which is the reason for the mandatory volunteer hours. When students know that there parents are on campus or can come to help, then they tend to act better. I have also seen that if parents will follow directions concerning uniforms, then that teaches our children that there are rules and they must be followed even if you don't agree with them (as long as they are not harming your life or the safety of the students). It takes everyone to work together in order to make a school successful... administration, staff, teachers, parents and students. Once again, IAS is a great school and it has great potential! I look forward to many more years to come because I believe if we all work together and support one another instead of spreading negative comments, then we can be successful.

Last modified International Academy of Smyrna is a Charter school that serves grades K-8