Smyrna, GA
Students enrolled: 1,200
After care: No

Posted December 11, 2014
Griffin Middle has highly qualified, motivated teachers, who really care about their students. As an 8th grade teacher, my focus is on engagement, rigor, and preparation for the future.

Posted December 11, 2014
Griffin Middle School is on the cutting edge of education. We pave the way for the newest and and best strategies for student learning and achievement. The teachers and staff are dedicated to the success of every student by going the extra mile for students. Students notice that teachers care about their success.

Posted November 25, 2014
Griffin has been a great choice for my daughter who has excelled all the CRT testing, this is all thanks to the great staff who make sure you have all the tools needed for the child to succeed like books, websites from the Liaison from Griffin, to the Principal who tries within his power to make sure kids are on time, and follow instructional classes in a respectful way, to staff who are always friendly and ready to help out when is needed to the awesome teachers who put up long hours making sure students are getting the best education there is in Cobb. As I will always say this is a three way partnership where Parents,Teachers and Students make it happened. Griffin Middle School is your choice when it comes to Middle School ,as a great community has decided to come together and give it a chance to a school who I can say now is worth to take the "risk" no risk at all, do your research as I did and I just have positive comments.

Posted November 24, 2014
Griffin is an amazing school. The DRAW (Discuss/Read/Analyze/Write) initiative focuses on student literacy across the 4 core content disciplines and has made a remarkable difference for our kids. Test scores are up across the board and student progress and growth place Griffin with the top schools in east Cobb. Griffin has developed a partnership with Kennesaw State University which provides additional resources for both students and staff. There are many clubs for students to join which include our Academic Bowl Team, Math Team, Science/Robotics Team, Fellowship of Christian Athletes and Drama to name a few. The Builders Club participates in community service and has raised and donated money for local entities in Smyrna. The school offers parent tours the second Tuesday of each month at 10:00 a.m. Come and see for yourselves what great things are happening. You will not be disappointed.

Posted November 11, 2014
Over the past several years I have heard the same rumors that have circulated around the community. I cannot say it did not affect me. I did what I tell others to do is to get involved, volunteer and you can see what a wonderful school Griffin Middle School is. The administration has made several changes over the past few years. They have focused on teaching ALL teachers (science, math etc.) how to teach a child how to read. This has made a remarkable difference in test scores. Honestly, what I love is the sense of community that you feel amongst the teachers and the parents-and that is not reflected in the test scores. The staff is a key part of the after school programs like Science Club, Beta Club, Robotics, Honor Chorus, Builders' Club, and Intramural Sports in the morning- just to name a few. All you have to do is go to one PTSA board meeting and see the PTSA is very active and is invested in our community. I can tell you more about how wonderful the staff is, but honestly, the best part is when I volunteer I 'spy' on my daughter and I see her smiling. Honestly, I have had reservations just like anyone else. However, I am so glad made the choice to stay public.
3 people found this helpful

Posted November 07, 2014
Griffin's principal, administrative staff and teachers are extremely dedicated to making Griffin a top school in Cobb County and it is well on its way. The accelerated program is top-notch and competitive with East Cobb schools. The school has a solid discipline policy which provides a safe and secure learning environment. There are many extracurricular programs available and the Fine Arts program is excellent.
3 people found this helpful

Posted May 22, 2014
My special needs child graduated from Griffin Middle School Haven program this year. He had an AWESOME EXPERIENCE. His teacher Mrs. Hampton taught with excellence and she and her team worked very hard taking my child to the next skill levels each year from 6-8th grade. My child wanted to go to school every morning and would even get up on Saturdays and ask to go to school. I pray he gets the same Attention, Love and Care from Osborne High School.

Posted May 04, 2014
Great 1st year at GMS. We could not be more pleased with our experience. Accelerated class content offerings is outstanding; so much that the school certified more teachers last summer to meet the needs of students coming into the school. The CCRPI results were just released a few weeks ago and GMS had the highest improvement over any middle school in the county. This is a lagging indicator; therefore we expect this number to continue to go up each year as students matriculate up thru excellent feeder schools including Nickajack Elementary and King Springs Elementary. We have been extremely pleased with the arts/music programs available thru the school - band, art club, advanced chorus/chorus, orchestra and extra curricular drama/musical programs and step team. The opportunity for our school is better communication to parents on all activities taking place at the school - we get newsletter, phone tree calls, social posts, teacher blogs but there are still areas for improvement to ensure everyone is informed. There are great things happening all the time at GMS, but we don't get consolidated information always. Overall, very pleased in our first year at GMS. Go Wildcats!
5 people found this helpful

Posted April 30, 2014
This is my fifth year with children in GMS and we (parents and children) are very happy. The teachers and staff are wonderful. I come from a family of educators and I truly believe in our public schools. Schools, as well as the education a child receives, are going to be what you make of it. The public schools in this area make it easy to get involved and stay connected. Years ago when my children started at King Springs Elementary an involved dad told me to not believe the rumor mill . I have never heard anything bad about the local Smyrna Schools from people who are actually involved in them. Any bad press the local schools receive always starts with, well I heard... Strong Schools create strong communities and the public schools in Smyrna are strong. If people would spend half the amount of energy on getting involved in the schools as they do seeking alternatives we would be the best public school system in GA.

Posted September 23, 2013
After almost two months at Griffin Middle School, we could not be more pleased. The teachers we have met make a very favorable impression, the administrators are professional and responsive, and the principal is a true leader. As a parent, what more could you ask for? I'll tell you what we want: We want happy students getting off the bus in the afternoon, and that is exactly what we have! Is there room for improvement at Griffin? Of course there is. There is no such thing as a perfect school, but in our opinion, Griffin Middle School comes pretty close.

Griffin Middle School
4010 King Springs Rd SE, Smyrna, GA  30082
Last modified Griffin Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Griffin Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top