Campbell Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1153 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 30, 2014

My daughter is in advanced content courses in 7th grade and loves it. We love the diversity of the student population. The principal and the administrators are great. My daughters science teacher was selected as teacher of the year for the state of Georgia. The 7th grade class had a 3-day science field trip to Jekyll Island. Whenever I've had an issue it was immediately addressed by the principal. Kids who get all A's and B's in a marking period qualify for a special field trip. There are a wide variety of clubs at the school for the students to choose from. They also offer free Saturday tutoring for students who want to improve their performance in any subject area. The facility is spacious and well-maintained. All classrooms have smart boards and the kids are given iPads. A new music wing was built last year. CMS offers free CRCT tutoring for those who need it. Lunch period is pretty short and they don't get PE unless they select it, but they do have a basketball team and a step team. CMS is a GREAT school!

Posted March 14, 2014

This is my sons first year at cms as a 6th grader and I have to say this is the worst school ever. I will be withdrawing him as soon as the year is over. I have nothing at all good to say about this school from the academics, to the teachers, principal and the students. Its normal for a student to curse at a teacher or a fight to happen amongst other things....Cannot wait to leave this school!!

Posted March 11, 2014

Well, I am currently a student (7th grade) at Campbell Middle School. I've been in private school all my life so this is a really big change for me. The reason i'm giving this school such a bad review is because the word "Unsatisfactory" is one of the many words to describe this school. In 7th grade we are currently learning adverbs and gerunds. (to be honest i learned this in 2nd grade) This school not only bases everything around the CRCT, but we have no fun at this school. They tell us to sit down, be quiet, and do the packet. In every class. They say that students get to express their personalities, but we don't. We really don't. I DO NOT recommend sending your child to this school. They don't care about the children, they care about the money. But the principal s nice. ( That's like the only person the administrators are brutally mean ) And maybe i'm not used to mean people. After all, private school and public school are not similar at all. But I strongly feel that this school is not how they say they are. We take tests almost every day. The teachers don't care about us. They just give out referrals like candy. I think that is just a disgrace to society.

Posted January 18, 2014

My son goes to this school for 2 years now (he is currently 7th grade). I am sure the school overall, facilities, some of the teachers and a few of the staff are good. The 2 women in the front office are HORRID. they are rude and very unapproachable. That also goes for the one of the administrative assistants. She walks around the school with her nose up and treats everyone like she is better than everyone else. I have encountered a few good teachers, and some really bad ones. Some of them treat the students that are not perfect like they are wasting their time. I will be withdrawling my son at the end of this year to take to a school not in my district. Campbell MS 2 thumbs down!

Posted December 31, 2013

I am a parent of an 8th grader at this school. I believe there are a few shining stars in this environment, but as a parent of a high-achieving straight A gifted student, I am treated like I am not welcome every single time I step through the doors. They have their issues with over crowding, and the academics are getting better since the "No Child Left Behind" is no longer in play, but for the most part, I can not wait until my child can get out of this school. Principal is unresponsive, and the contacts I have on the board of education are also unresponsive to the problems that go on there. They are terrible about letting parents know what is happening. The PTA is almost non-existent, and they say they want parents to be involved, but we are not welcome there. It is "against policy" for parents to even get past the front doors.

Posted December 30, 2013

As a student, I see that parents can be quick to blame the school for their child's failures. The teachers here are so much fun, yet we learn. From the IB curriculem to taking high school math, there is no shortage of challenges at CMS. (whether that's good or bad is up to you :) We just got a whole new building for the music department, and it's amazing. The music concerts (of which the band one I play in) are always worth the time. We have Jazz Band, Fiddle team, and Symphonic band and Orchastra just to name a fraction the clubs here. The only downside would be the "Standerd Dress Attire" or the uniform. While I see the reason for this and we do have limited choice, I still don't see it as a smart move on the part of the principal. Cafeteria food can go from delicious to discusting in a day, so always have a lunchbox handy. My only other critice is that Ms. Johnson (principal) is not very in touch with the students. But hey, the teachers are in touch with the students, and that's all that really matters.:-) Overall, not a bad school. I'm glad to be spending my 8th Grade year there despite the downsides.

Posted November 12, 2013

I am extremely pleased with this school. They are awesome about keeping parents in the loop and the curriculum is outstanding, in my opinion. The are following the Common Core Standards and have a dress code, both of which contribute to a great learning environment.

Posted October 27, 2013

My daughter is in her second year at Campbell and loves it! She's has great experiences with both the teachers and the administration. She really enjoys the interactive and hands-on approach to teaching at the school. She enjoys extracurricular activities and clubs as well as the schools focus on academics at the annual pep rally and quarterly honor roll field trip. The new music wing is lovely and equipped with new equipment for the kids to enjoy. We are both very pleased with this school!

Posted October 24, 2012

I was highly impressed with CMS for my daughters 6th grade year 2011-2012 BUT this year for 7th grade is AWFUL. My child is an A - B student so when she came home with an F as her final grade I was shocked and disappointed. During the 1st quarter I never received any notification my child was failing, no work went incomplete and homework was submitted daily. What's REALLY going on? These 7th grade teachers need to get it together!

Posted October 12, 2012

I am retracting my previous review that offered a glowing testimony to this school. Since my son entered 7th grade, it is clear that the level of teaching and professionalism have taken a nose dive. I addressed several issues I have had with a teacher with the principal and she dismissed it. Clearly a school that does not care about its students.

Posted June 13, 2012

Contrary to the parent comments & ratings during & prior to July 2011, our son is thriving at CMS and enjoys the learning environment offered through his advanced content/gifted classes. We selected CMS over the nearby public & private schools because of its diversity, advanced content/gifted teachers & administration. 2011-2012 was a fantastic year of change at CMS during which a new principal started, the Student Attire was implemented & enforced, and it was Year One of the implementation of the International Baccalaureate Program. We expect to see more changes in 2012-2013 with the addition of more highly rated teachers, involved parents and further immersion in the IB program. We are confident our rising 8th grader will have the ability to earn a spot in one of Cobb County s High School Magnet Programs - highly-competitive, rigorous academic programs. As with any public (or private) school in this Country, parent involvement first with their student and then as a volunteer with the PTSA and administration is critical to a student s and school s success. I challenge other parents, teachers and students to comment, rate this school, get involved and put CMS first!

Posted July 19, 2011

I was very disappointed by this school for my 6th grader last school year. With this being her first year from out of the whole elementary school world I wanted this to be a good experience for her. I was totally wrong. The staff, administration, teachers, and principal, I felt could care less about the students or the parents. The students felt bullied by the teachers and when we would complain to the principal it was ALWAYS the students fault, no one ever wanted to listen to what we really had to say. I could imagine how things were when we werent there with her. I would not recommend this school to anyone accept maybe the school board to come in there and do some inspecting of their own. With so many complaints after awhile its not the student or the parents with the issue, its the school and its horrible staff.

Posted July 19, 2011

Campbell Middle School is a disgrace to the school board system and YES I may understand there are WORSE schools but I DONT CARE I dont live in the other schools zone. I pay GOOD money to live in a very nice part of Smyrna but the community and schools are so RATCHED. The principal MS.MGhee is a BASKET CASE and could hardly function, the staff is rude and disrespectful and SPANISH is the first language spoken there, my poor child questions if this is AMERICA or MEXICO!

Posted October 28, 2010

Campbell Middle has real struggles educating students with Learning Challenges. Most teachers see these children as nuisances and constantly complain about them. They have trouble following their Individual Education Plans, and many of the teachers are very unprofessional when speaking with parents using 'jargon' and words such as lazy, just doesn't care, and crazy. These are words that should never come out of any teacher's mouth especially to a parent! IF YOU HAVE A CHILD WITH ANY TYPE OF LEARNING CHALLENGE PLEASE AVOID CAMPBELL MIDDLE!

Posted August 16, 2010

The principal is very rude and doesn't have respect for the parents. Can I just imagine what goes on during the day. She is the head of the school, she set the tune of the school. I wouldn't recommend this school at all. I know see why most parent in this area sent their kids to private school.

Posted May 3, 2010

The administration at this school is less than satifactory. They allow the teachers to treat the children and parents with very little respect. This is not a great school by any means!!

Posted April 2, 2010

Im a student at tis school and so far im really impressed with it everybody is nice there. You might run into those bad students but really just push them out you mind and get on with life. The 6th grade teachers are extreamly nice.I have great grades in the classes, they explain every thing so good to where you can understand it. I would recommend you put your child in this school. All the rumors about the school is wrong, they got a new principal and she keeps the school in order. Its a great skool and this is from a child and my mom and dad and all my family.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 17, 2010

this school is very unorganized the administraition is very disrespectful... some teachers like to teach and some don't!!!!

Posted November 21, 2009

I go to campbell and i love it the teachers are nice sweet and they love to help students when we need help
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 29, 2008

My daughter just completed the first year at this school. So far am happy with her and her acomplishments, thanks to her principal and her teachers. I am pleased and looking forward tp the next sch. Year with hopes that the school will provide all the extra help that was provided in the past. Ps the dress code especially with the boys pants hanging low sill needs to be address. Thanks.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

406 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

405 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

408 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

425 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

422 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

398 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

394 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

398 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

426 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

420 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

403 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

402 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

408 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

424 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

418 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

344 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

45 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian 2% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

• Gail Johnson
Fax number
  • (678) 842-6875

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3295 Atlanta Rd SE