Nickajack Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted August 5, 2008

Unfortunately, I disagree with the above opinion. My son's teacher is a nice person but very bad teacher. She is very young and inexpert teacher. Everything was wrong for her and she was using only punishment rules. I would like to remember any long or good conversation but is impossible. I think the Principal is doing a good job. I hope this year will be different for my son, I will continue work with him, and as your child, he deserve the best school and the best teacher.

Posted June 4, 2008

I have been pleasantly pleased with NES. We moved back to Smyrna from VA last year and I have to admit, I was somewhat hesitant about NES. Some parents I spoke with claimed it wasn't that great. Well come to find out none had even visited the school or talked with the staff or parents of kids attending. They rely solely on websites and gossip. I think websites are great but they don't give you the whole picture. My son's teacher Drew was terrific and enthusiastic. He isn't necessarily academically inclined but after a year at NES, he is motivated to learn beyond my expectations or hopes. No school is perfect and I'm sure I'll encounter difficulties at NES over the years to come. The important thing for now is that he is learning (his reading and math skills are impressive) and he likes his school. Good parental involvement also.

Posted February 20, 2008

My daughter came from another school district out of state and struggled her first year at NES. When she began first grade in Ms. Tennent's class, she was struggling with reading. Ms Tennent identified the areas that needed improvement and began working in concert with another teacher, Mrs. Thomas to improve. She has improved dramatically! I absolutely L-O-V-E this school. Whether you kid is an Einstein or if they need a little extra care, this is the school for him/her. I would gladly recommend this school to anyone

Posted November 2, 2007

I just thank God I was blessed enough to find a school as good as NES. I have 3 kids in NES (5th Mosely, 4th Patterson, 1st Newman) and their teachers are truly amazing, involved and caring. These are not teachers who are just doing it for the summer vacations. My oldest came to NES with reading problems from her previous school with continuous encouragement from her teacher Mr. Mosely and school sponsored tutoring is finally excelling. I am so proud to be able to recommend this school to anyone. From the top (Ms. Parks) down... this school is top notch!

Posted October 20, 2007

My daughter has been attending NES since Kindergarten. She has had some wonderful teachers (Mrs. Tilt, Mrs. Newman, and Mrs. Butler). The Principal's have been phenominal as well (Peggy Pepper & Mrs. Parks). The staff truely cares about their students education and well being, and there is a lot of parent participation. I have noticed that as the years go by they are also adding more extra-cirricular activities. I would recommend this school to other parents.

Posted August 9, 2007

My children attended NES 1st - 5th grades & we were pretty well satisfied with the school. The former principal an the current principal were/are great leaders. The office staff is wonderful.

Posted March 14, 2007

My daughter has attended Nickajack for 2 years. I have been very satisfied with both teachers, Ms. Drew in Kindergarten and now with Ms. Butler in the Multi age classroom.. The best from both is that they are so positive and have shown a genuine interest in all the kids

Posted March 8, 2007

I have 3 kids at NES and i have been very please with all of my kids teachers, Ms Patterson(4th) Ms Lauterbach(1st) and Ms Bulter(2nd) and Ms Tilt(k). The office staff are very friendly. My only disappointment is that i wanted to put money on a few kids account for lunch and i was told that i couldn't. School is stressful not only for the teachers, but for the kids as well. All the kids should have the chance to have the same lunch. Overall, NES is a wonderful school. Thanks to all the teachers, you are all excellent role models.

Posted May 23, 2006

I have 2 children at Nickajack and we started going to this wonderful school in 2000. The teachers we've had are second to none. Everyone seems to know and love my kids and they are eager to hop on the bus every morning and go to school.

Posted January 13, 2006

I have three children that attend Nickajack (Grade levels - 5, 4 and K5) and I have been extremely pleased with quality of teachers and staff at the school. In my 5 years (11 teachers), I have had great experiences with the faculty and staff and my children have made great friends with positive attitudes. I would recommend Nickajack as a great school to attend for academic, social and personal development. While Nickajack does require good character from all of its students, I have found that they also put great emphasis on the quality of education that each student receives.

Posted January 10, 2006

I am most impressed with the scientific, methodical approach the principal and teaching staff take to ensure academic success and quality of instruction. They also add a common sense approach and genuine care to their instruction and student interaction. Principal Pepper is adamant about good behavior, quality instruction and constant refinement of the curriculum and resources. The Target and Soar programs really challenge our son beyond the traditional class work. I am happy about the focus on character. Character-based education has profoundly affected my son (4th grade). He applies them in all areas of his life. They undergird his spiritual development. Music and art instruction are important components of learning at Nickajack. I'd love for Nickajack to pursue organized sports with character-based instruction...golf, basketball, soccer, swim. The PTA is strong and inclusive. Parent involvement is improving. A core group of parents make an incredible difference...more would really help the school excell. Thank You.

Posted October 20, 2005

My child exceeds academically compared to child in other schools in the area. ASP program offers many extras such as French or Spanish. The PTA is very active in the school

Posted October 12, 2005

This is my daughter's last year at nes. She started in kindergarten, and i am just thrilled with the their staff. The new pe teacher is awesome, as is the new 'young' music teacher. The pta is very involved and approachable, as are the office staff. There still are some disciplinary problems but that has a lot to do with a child's homelife, and the counselors are doing their best. I have seen some kids 'come around' and improve since they began. A child's attitude starts at home; how they are treated, how they see their parents treat each other, what they hear their parents say about other people (that's why character building is stressed). The silver comet trail is at the end of the road that the school is on, which is nice for having 'outdoor classroom' time. The afterschool program could improve.

Posted October 3, 2005

My daughter entered her second year at Nickajack and I am very happy with the teachers and curriculum. Teachers are very involved and classwork, homework, and extracurriculum activities are all challenging. Parent involvement, safety and discipline, and principal leadership is excellent.

Posted July 28, 2005

I wasn't impressed with this school at all but my daughter seemed to enjoy it. She was only at this school for her second grade year and won't be returning. I don't think it challenged her enough. There wasn't very much involvment with the parents either and I think that makes all the difference in a way a school is run.

Posted June 1, 2005

I thought it was just me. Being from another state and all. I am not impressed with this school at all. In fact, I am quite disappointed. I can count on two hands (and that is a stretch) how many times my child has had homework (entering 3rd grade). It seems the emphasis is more on character. What good is that if my kid can't read anything and or count. How can the expect him to exhibit good character fully without an education. Needless to say I am on a huntfor a new school before it is too late and my children slip through the cracks and get 'Left Behind'.

Posted May 12, 2005

I think the teachers are being hendered by the current administrative staff. The focus is not on educating the students (and that may be mostly from the NCLB)but containing them until the end of the day. I definately think a new principal is needed. She does not have the best interest of the students in mind. She is only concerned with how the numbers look.

Posted April 14, 2005

This is my child's last year at this year. This school has not impressed me for the last three years, even with the change of leadership. I don't find her to be very friendly to all parents. The school is very cliquish. These are the people who she caters to. The school is predomiently African-American and the staff is predomiently Caucasian. Therefore, there is a need, I feel, for more African-American teachers.

Posted January 8, 2005

I really dislike this school and took my child out. It has no authority figure I have never been so dissatisfied.

Posted April 21, 2004

I am so happy to see that we now have wonderful leadership. My children are very happy, and Nickajack is back to the high quality school it once was!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

144 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

144 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

145 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

141 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

127 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

106 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4555 Mavell Rd SE