Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted May 03, 2016
Wow - do I name names? My child's kindergarten teaching staff were AMAZING! They're truly my heroes and I don't know how they do it. I wish teachers were paid like the rock stars they really are! They're doing the most imperative job on the planet and no one gives them credit.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted May 03, 2016
I find most teachers to be competent and caring. There are always some in every school that could care a bit more, but we've been happy.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted May 03, 2016
Kindergarten was fine. More than we'd expected, but certainly not unmanageable. First grade was a LOT more homework and more special projects, by far. It does seem to be dependant upon which teacher a child has and could easily take 2 hours a night 5 days a week if you did every little thing they want. We've cut back to one extra-curricular activity a week due to this and it's still a struggle to get homework done, dinner cooked/eaten/cleaned up, bath, and bedtime at a reasonable hour. Homework is given by the month, so you can work ahead if your child is expedient. Mine fights it the whole time, tired after a long school day. In spite of my child having a high IQ, there are lessons that haven't been covered at all or aren't covered well, so we end up deciphering what the teacher wants to see and then teaching the lesson. We have 4 degrees in engineering between us and we still scratch our heads on occasion. I do not know how working families with multiple kids (that go to ASP until 6:00!) get all of the work done. ***This issue is not specific to NES. Note that the Common Core and No Child Left Behind made a big mess. All of the standardized testing of this era is driving this craziness. I can't be the only parent who thinks there should be zero homework for the earlier grades!

Posted May 03, 2016
We were convinced that the local public schools were terrible and we'd just send our child to private school when the time came. We can afford it, so why not? I mean, on,y the best for our kid, right? Does this sound familiar??? Keep reading... Having tried Montessori and a church-based school first and not had good experiences, I was admittedly wary every day of K at NES for the first 2 months. Every day I wondered, "When is it going to become like the first two places?" I'm glad to say it didn't. Not even close! What we found were caring and concerned administrators and staff who routinely went the extra mile for us. I have a very strong-willed child and doubted anyone's ability to manage that in a classroom setting. Boy, was I wrong and I'm thrilled! Honestly, I cannot imagine my child in school anywhere else. We are happy and feel a sense of "family" at NES, despite the size of the student body. It feels quite close-knit and the parents and staff are very involved with volunteering and extra-curricular fun. I can say we feel as though everyone there truly cares about the kids and the school. I'm blown away weekly by the level of commitment these families show toward making this a truly great school. Please don't pass this school up without talking with families that actually currently attend and taking a tour for yourself.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted April 30, 2016
It can feel like a lot but they are learning a lot too. The kindergarten work can come as a surprise but it really does help them.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted April 30, 2016
The Kindness and Compassion Club is a great example of this. Also My Friend Too which matches kids who have a tough time socially with those who have a more outgoing nature.

Posted April 30, 2016
I have 3 children at Nickajack now and really love the school. It has been getting better and better every year. I've been very pleased with the multi-age program (only one of its kind in Cobb) and the Target (gifted program) teachers are just fantastic. The start of a dual-language immersion kindergarten in the Fall is very exciting. I'll have another kindergartner in 2017!

Posted March 29, 2016
I have had children at Nickajack since 2009 and have had a wonderful experience. My oldest is now in 6th grade at Griffin Middle and loves it there, but misses Nickajack too. My youngest is in 3rd grade and looks forward to school every day. While our experience has been overwhelmingly positive, we have had the occasional challenge, and the way the administration handled our concerns is one of the reasons we love the school so much. Over the years our children have been involved in after school clubs, have used the after school enrichment program, and we've had one in Target with another only joining that program second half of her 5th grade year. We've been as involved as possible with PTA, the Foundation, and School Council, and that participation has helped us understand all that Nickajack has to offer. Enrolling our children at Nickajack has been one of our best decisions.

Nickajack Elementary School 1

Posted February 04, 2016
My child attended this school for a couple of years and it was a nightmare. They ONLY focused on the behavior and as a result my child academics suffered. The homework provided by my child teachers was to advance with little instructions and or examples. The teachers my child had were NEGATIVE except 2. What teacher that has taught a child for a full year walk past a child and doesn't speak to them. This happened daily. Grow up!! This is a child for crying out loud. My child was labeled for bad behavior and anything my child did was grounds for a write up. My child lost all confidence and now has a therapist because my child was told they had anger issues, was bad, etc. I have moved my child to a different school. Already seeing positive results. Run from Nickajack, that school is over rated in my opinion.

Posted January 08, 2016
Our oldest just started at Nickajack this year and we have been more than pleased with the school. The staff is fantastic and there is a great group of motivated/involved parents that work hard to make the school a great environment for our kids to learn and grow.

4555 Mavell Rd SE, Smyrna, GA  30082
Last modified Nickajack Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.