Smyrna, GA

Posted November 15, 2014
We moved from out of state and Nickajack Elementary school was assigned to us for our son, based on our home address. This has been such a challenging summer with our move, we were concerned about the school because our son had a need for speech therapy. We were also concerned about his adjustment on every aspect. We made an appointment to meet up with the staff working at Nickajack. We were very pleased with our transition. Together as a team, they helped our son feel comfortable as they met his individual needs. His kindergarten teachers are to be commanded for the smooth transition and great progress we have seen in our son, both academically and socially. We compliment the principal and the staff there at Nickajack for their professional, caring and friendly approach in meeting the needs of our children. They are truly committed to giving our children the best education.

Posted October 15, 2014
My son just entered Kindergarten this year after going to private pre-k. so far we had excellent expereience with Teacher, office staff, Principal. They make the kids very disciplined. My kids have learnt a lot made good friends in last 2 months. And he loves to go school. They have regular parent - teacher meeting. And its good to get involved. school has mix crowd of all ethnicity and different culture. Only thing is they should try to do more for After school program to keep them entertained or learning activity. And try to do good kids ratio with After school teacher. Overall will give 4.5 stars.

Posted October 08, 2014
We have two children who have attended Nickajack since Kindergarten (one is now in 2nd grade, the older one in 5th). Our experience has been great, in every way. Across the board, we are happy with our decision and our children truly love their school. Safety, academics, the individual care and concern of teachers, commitment of parents, and administrative leadership - these are all important to us and Nickajack has delivered at every level. The few times we've had concerns about anything, I've been pleased with the way the school responded. I highly recommend Nickajack, and only wish that the Cobb School District would do a better job of providing funding for academic resources, foreign language integration into curriculum, and a slightly better upkeep of school exteriors.

Posted July 20, 2014
I'm really happy with this school. Our daughter went to Vinings Academy and entered school about 1 year ahead of grade level, according to GA and Cobb County curriculum. Now, entering 2nd grade, she's still 1 year ahead of grade level. Instead of let her be bored, our teachers have allowed her to learn additional material and guided us on extra material to give her at home to keep her ahead of grade level. I'm extremely satisfied. I'm relatively new to Smyrna, and from what I understand, the principal and all the wealthy people moving into the area has improved the school a lot. The only thing I think the school could improve on, according to test scores, is math. The rest of the score differential with other schools is because there are a small percentage of disadvantaged students in the school who didn't have the advantage of preschool, etc.

Posted June 22, 2014
I have little faith in the accuracy of this rating given what I have experienced first-hand in my son's 5 years (PK-4) at this truly great school. The facilities are good, but more importantly the teachers, staff and faculty are terrific. Parents and the greater community are involved in hands-on learning and fun extras. For several years, we've had a foundation that raises money for a computer teacher (which the county should fund!) and other things on Principal Llyod's wish list. When we moved here everyone said, "You'll have to send your kids to private school." They were wrong and we've saved thousands while our son has learned what being part of a community means.

Nickajack Elementary School 4

Posted May 15, 2014
I have a first grader at Nickajack and have been very happy. I like that there are activities other schools just don't have. Garden Club is one of them as is the running club. I've been very pleased with the multi-age program and the Target (gifted program) teachers are just fantastic.

Posted May 12, 2014
If you are an engaged parent at Nickajack Elementary School, the school is fantastic - the teachers, administration, staff and volunteers - and if your child attends, she or he will have a solid foundation for becoming a great human being and citizen, well educated, well socialized and with wonderful opportunities for their future. If are not an engaged parent, I am sad for you and your child. No school should ever be the primary provider of your children's education - none. As it should be, we reap what we sew. If you don't like your child's scores, do something about it. If you don't like the extracurricular activities, do something about it. Who complains about anything, any situation, without themselves demonstrating a willingness to improve it? Hopefully no one - but especially no one who'd like to have their child anywhere near mine. I've got enough to worry about, and I'm doing something about it. - Seth 770 778 8552

Posted April 02, 2014
My school is the best possible school to go to. If you want your child to be safe this is the place for them to go. I went here pk-5 and I wish I were still there. The teachers are amazing and take the time to make sure each and every child is to the best of their ability. The kids are always improving their grades. To get ready for the CRCT they hold a prepralley to get ready. We do jump rope for heart, for the American Heart Association. It is a school I am proud to say I was apart of.

Posted March 31, 2014
Don't judge a school by it's Great School rating. They are based on test scores, and if your only concern is test scores - well, you are missing out on a much bigger picture. Nickajack is a wonderful school with fantastic staff and community. I have a 3rd grader and a kindergartner who are thriving. Of course there are positives for smaller schools with "better" test scores. But elementary school is about socialization; character development; real-world learning, exposure to other cultures & so much more! We have it all at Nickajack. This is by far the most involved PTA I've seen in the area. And if you are a working parent - your child doesn't have to sit in an ASP classroom until 6pm - they can partake in an array of enrichment clubs - from chess, to drama, to science, to spanish, sports, LEGO, jogging, gardening.... We have the best facilities around. One location, a new addition, great fields for outdoor activities.. At age 8, I truly believe my son knows every administrator and teacher at the school (and it goes both ways). And probably 90% of the kids! For a larger school, it's a very close knit community. TOUR schools and ask questions - don't rely on a number here.

Posted March 31, 2014
We will, sadly, be leaving Nickajack after this year even though my children are still in elementary school. I don't buy this Great School rating for a moment. Nickajack is a wonderful school with a caring staff, fabulous teachers, and the most involved parents I've seen anywhere (and I've toured a LOT of schools in Cobb County). These ratings are based on test scores (of kids as young as 6 mind you!), and Nickajack is improving greatly in that area. But true learning and an atmosphere of caring are so much more important than any test! Want to know about character? Nickajack is all about teaching good character! Our guidance counselor, Nicole Pfleger (Weber) was named the TOP COUNSELOR IN THE UNITED STATES by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA)! My kids LOVE their teachers, they rave about "specials" - P.E., science lab, music, art. They WANT to stay after school for chess and Brainy Builders. My kids are getting everything they need here and them some. As the community has changed, so has the makeup of the school. It is diverse in the best of ways. This is a wonderful place. Visit the school website and read about the NES foundation. So much to be proud of!

Nickajack Elementary School
4555 Mavell Rd SE, Smyrna, GA  30082
Last modified Nickajack Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Nickajack Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 73 reviews. Top