Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)

My little one is a Kindergartener. I was very nervous coming from a small provide Pre-K program into such a large public school. However this school truly feels like it is part of the local community. Parents are involved, teachers care and they have a challenging curriculum. My daughter is part of the K-1 class. PTA does an amazing job keeping parents informed. Love this school. Looking forward to many more years!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I find most teachers to be competent and caring. There are always some in every school that could care a bit more, but we've been happy.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Kindergarten was fine. More than we'd expected, but certainly not unmanageable. First grade was a LOT more homework and more special projects, by far. It does seem to be dependant upon which teacher a child has and could easily take 2 hours a night 5 days a week if you did every little thing they want. We've cut back to one extra-curricular activity a week due to this and it's still a struggle to get homework done, dinner cooked/eaten/cleaned up, bath, and bedtime at a reasonable hour. Homework is given by the month, so you can work ahead if your child is expedient. Mine fights it the whole time, tired after a long school day. In spite of my child having a high IQ, there are lessons that haven't been covered at all or aren't covered well, so we end up deciphering what the teacher wants to see and then teaching the lesson. We have 4 degrees in engineering between us and we still scratch our heads on occasion. I do not know how working families with multiple kids (that go to ASP until 6:00!) get all of the work done. ***This issue is not specific to NES. Note that the Common Core and No Child Left Behind made a big mess. All of the standardized testing of this era is driving this craziness. I can't be the only parent who thinks there should be zero homework for the earlier grades!

We were convinced that the local public schools were terrible and we'd just send our child to private school when the time came. We can afford it, so why not? I mean, on,y the best for our kid, right? Does this sound familiar??? Keep reading... Having tried Montessori and a church-based school first and not had good experiences, I was admittedly wary every day of K at NES for the first 2 months. Every day I wondered, "When is it going to become like the first two places?" I'm glad to say it didn't. Not even close! What we found were caring and concerned administrators and staff who routinely went the extra mile for us. I have a very strong-willed child and doubted anyone's ability to manage that in a classroom setting. Boy, was I wrong and I'm thrilled! Honestly, I cannot imagine my child in school anywhere else. We are happy and feel a sense of "family" at NES, despite the size of the student body. It feels quite close-knit and the parents and staff are very involved with volunteering and extra-curricular fun. I can say we feel as though everyone there truly cares about the kids and the school. I'm blown away weekly by the level of commitment these families show toward making this a truly great school. Please don't pass this school up without talking with families that actually currently attend and taking a tour for yourself.

Amount of homework: Agree

It can feel like a lot but they are learning a lot too. The kindergarten work can come as a surprise but it really does help them.

I have 3 children at Nickajack now and really love the school. It has been getting better and better every year. I've been very pleased with the multi-age program (only one of its kind in Cobb) and the Target (gifted program) teachers are just fantastic. The start of a dual-language immersion kindergarten in the Fall is very exciting. I'll have another kindergartner in 2017!

I have had children at Nickajack since 2009 and have had a wonderful experience. My oldest is now in 6th grade at Griffin Middle and loves it there, but misses Nickajack too. My youngest is in 3rd grade and looks forward to school every day. While our experience has been overwhelmingly positive, we have had the occasional challenge, and the way the administration handled our concerns is one of the reasons we love the school so much. Over the years our children have been involved in after school clubs, have used the after school enrichment program, and we've had one in Target with another only joining that program second half of her 5th grade year. We've been as involved as possible with PTA, the Foundation, and School Council, and that participation has helped us understand all that Nickajack has to offer. Enrolling our children at Nickajack has been one of our best decisions.

My child attended this school for a couple of years and it was a nightmare. They ONLY focused on the behavior and as a result my child academics suffered. The homework provided by my child teachers was to advance with little instructions and or examples. The teachers my child had were NEGATIVE except 2. What teacher that has taught a child for a full year walk past a child and doesn't speak to them. This happened daily. Grow up!! This is a child for crying out loud. My child was labeled for bad behavior and anything my child did was grounds for a write up. My child lost all confidence and now has a therapist because my child was told they had anger issues, was bad, etc. I have moved my child to a different school. Already seeing positive results. Run from Nickajack, that school is over rated in my opinion.

Our oldest just started at Nickajack this year and we have been more than pleased with the school. The staff is fantastic and there is a great group of motivated/involved parents that work hard to make the school a great environment for our kids to learn and grow.

We left a private school to attend Nickajack and it was the best decision we could of made. My daughter loves this school and she is thriving here. I am very impressed with the teachers and the organization and communication that happens at Nickajack. This is something that was seriously lacking at our old school. We have daily communication folders to keep us updated and teachers are available via email or phone to answer any questions you may have. My daughter was a little ahead of some of her classmates and instead of her just doing the schoolwork that was given and possibly being bored, she is given more challenging work and homework. We never considered this school as an option when we moved here because so many local people portrayed a very negative image of the school. They could not be more wrong and I doubt half of them have set foot in the school to take a tour. This is a wonderful school with a lot to offer. My daughter has specials every day which include Art, Music, Science, Computers and PE. Parents are not only allowed but are encouraged to be involved with the school. I volunteer on a regular basis and it is great to see the school and students in action. If you are considering this school I would encourage you to take a tour, talk to parents and join the Facebook group of parents called Wave of Excellence. They can offer so much information and facts about their experiences!

Last modified Nickajack Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.