Posted September 19, 2014
My family just moved to the area from another state and so far I love this school. Reading the reviews online before I got here made me a little worried but I have been pleasantly surprised. The teachers really seem to care about the kids and I love the parent portal. As a parent of a 9th grader I love how it's my responsibility to stay on top of my child's assignments and grades. I'm impressed by how the parent portal stays updated with grades, homework, class work, and it even sends you an email if your child makes a grade below 70. At 14-18 teens don't think they should keep their parent informed and this system allows you to do that. My daughter loves the school and enjoys her classes. After the first week she said she liked all of her teachers and that is rare at this age. I highly recommend this school!

Posted August 01, 2014
There are a lot of reviews complaining about the dress code. They do enforce it strictly. This is to prevent distracting, immoral, or inappropriate attire out of the school. Furthermore, the dress code does not define the school. Every teacher I've had is supportive, knows their subject incredibly well and the frequently relate their subjects to real world topics and stories. The school's marching band program is at the very least in the top three for almost 100 miles. We have good sports teams. Our principal is very cooperative and is very helpful if problems arise. I have yet to see any evidence of favoritism that is out of the ordinary. I don't know how the school was in past years, but I've really enjoyed my time spent in this school. Some negative things are simply present in any high school and shouldn't be a reason to shoot down this particular school. This really is one of the better schools in Georgia.

Posted June 25, 2014
Effingham County High School is a great place to work and to send your kids to school. The teachers and administrators all work as a unit to help kids succeed. The faculty is like family, not co-workers. The principal is very approachable and truly cares about the kids. He is always in the hall during class changes and visible in the lunchroom during lunch. There is a dress code and students are required to wear uniforms. If the parents would support the school in its decision to have the uniform policy and enforce it at home with their own children, then there would be much less time spent on enforcing it during the school day. I believe that high school is meant to prepare students for the real world, their next step upon graduation may be college or it may be a full-time job. Either way students will eventually have to wear some sort of uniform or abide by a dress code. It is past time for students to step up and take responsibility for their own actions and for their parents to institute discipline at home. When this finally takes place, the public school system will be a better place to work and for students to learn.

Posted April 08, 2014
The teachers could care less about the students, unless they play sports or are related to someone who works in the school system. The teachers would rather send their students to the front office for mix matched or colored socks than let the student learn. I can't even count how many classes I missed because of stupid little things dealing with dress code.

Effingham County High School 4

Posted July 10, 2013
My oldest is in his 3rd year at ECHS, he is an A& B student with a 98 gpa he is also in band. His freshman year he took standard classes and then challenged himself by taking some college courses and honors classes as well. The students are challenged and pushed to work hard and apply themselves. Academics is stressed and good character is encouraged. Poor behavior is not tolerated and the dress code is taken serious. If you miss alot of days students can make the time up during Saturday school. (Illnesses happen) if my son misses school I get a call every time no matter what, every time I have emailed a teacher I get a reply. I must say every school has issues but if students don't care that's on them these teachers work hard to educate and some kids just don't care. I will say the career academy is awesome, and the band program is the best you will find! Every school comes with hiccups and I expect that. But I am happy with the school so far and I plan for all my children to graduate from ECHS!

Posted April 30, 2013
This school is horrible. If you are not one of the 5 inbred families of Effingham you will NOT be recieving a fair education. The "Good 'Ole Boy" system is alive and well within this school. If you are not a former graduate,work for the school or are related to someone who does,forget it. They only do for thier own. Most teachers and staff are horribly under educated . I am finally transferring my kids out. Chatham school district has SO much more to offer students and are willing to reach out to the parents and work with them to help achieve the best educational level for the students. Effingham could care less.

Effingham County High School 2

Posted May 10, 2012
This school is going down the drain. Our AYP hasn't been met in a few years and its sad that our principle cares more about AYP than backing up his words. I know several people that have missed 25+ days due to skipping and being "sick" and he is still allowing them to graduate even though he told all the seniors he didn't care why if you missed alot of days you WILL NOT WALK. AYP is more important than quality education and many kids who take AP classes and Honors classes don't get any special recognition from the kids who take support classes slept through them and the teacher allowed them to make stuff up. It should be if you don' do it you fail no third and fourth chance to make it up. Is it necessarily the school? Some may say yes but I believe its the school,administration, teachers, and the BOE for making our school system as poor as it is.

Effingham County High School 2

Posted November 30, 2011
ECHS is a joke. There are good teachers here and there, but there are only a few. Coaches, football and baseball athletes, and popular rednecks are favorites with the administrators. The valedictorian or salutatorian of 2010 actually commented on this in his graduation speech along with the high attention to dress code rather than education. The counseling is 1.5/5 at best. Dual enrollment is rarely discussed though it is an excellent opportunity. Counselors also rarely get involved with their students on a personal level. Some parents will say this is a good school; that is only because the administrators act nice on the phone. Take it from a former student. If you are coming to Effingham, your best bet would be to go to SEHS.

Effingham County High School 4

Posted October 31, 2010
Our child is new to the school this year. Yes, the dress code is strictly enforced. Much needed becasue some kids where their clothing below their waste and shirts untucked, posslibly concealin weapons. I agree w/strict dress code. The school and staff were very welcoming - We're not rednecks - stereotyping - a typical - we're giving the school & staff a chance. It's paid off so far.

Posted September 02, 2010
This school is horrible. They care more about "illegal" dress code, than they do education. My son got a detention the second he walked into 1st period on the first day... What for? because his shirt was untucked. The school discriminates against people who are not "rednecks." Do not believe these reviews below me. Effingham county high school needs some serious help.

Effingham County High School
1589 Ga Highway 119 S, Springfield, GA  31329
Last modified Effingham County High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Effingham County High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top