Dade County High School

Public | 9-12

Posted December 10, 2013

We visited this DHS for the first time in the fall of 2013 and we are very impressed. The faculty and staff really seem to care so much about their kids, they are like a family. Our child will be transferring from a larger school in Florida and we hope she will have a more positive experience here. I feel that the negative reviews posted by former students are not constructive and the points they bring up are actually positive points for Dade. They sound like kids who would fit in at an inner city school rather than this small community. We'll make our own judgment but, for now we have a good impression.

Posted September 16, 2013

I use to attend DCHS. It is, by far, the worst school ive ever had the displeasure of attending. Religion is a big problem in this school! I've attended schools in multiple countries, and have never seen religious influence like this. What else could be expected from the bible belt, i suppose. I was moved to alternative school after my 5 excused and 5 un-excused absences were used. I admit that i skipped class 5 times that year, but is alternative school really a suitable punishment for these actions? Shortly after this happened, I received news that I was being kicked out due to residency issues. (after attending this school for over a year with no address change) They left me with limited options and no help. I eventually found a group known as the Optimists, who helped with financial costs of the GED test. After scoring well above average on the test, the group asked me to come in and speak. Of course my gratitude outweighed my stage fright. Upon Entering this meeting, I saw the man who signed the paperwork that led to my disenrollment. I was pleased to remind him of my identity. Although being strongly infuenced to start college at the age of 16 has only helped me, I regret it.

Posted August 4, 2013

Our teen is starting this school this fall. I will update when I have more to report, but when we visited last spring, I was really impressed with the friendliness of the students and staff.

Posted December 7, 2010

From 2006 to 2009, this school was a mess. Between the schedule changing, disciplinary, and teaching problems, nothing was going very well for the administration or the students. On top of that, the athletics and fine arts departments were at lows. However, after years of change throughout the system, they finally have something going. Adding knowledgable new teachers, making much needed administrative changes, new technology to bring it out of the stone ages, more AP and college courses, and an economically efficient scheduling system helped tremendously. The sports programs have done very well under a new athletic director: basketball, football, wrestling, softball, and cross country have all recieved state recognition over the past year. Notably, the band program has grown and developed into one of the best in the region. Overall, now the school is great and needed a fresh change. However, the numerous budget cuts are threatening many jobs and classes.

Posted November 4, 2010

For those of you that want to know, Dade County High School does not value a student's work ethic. Although it does boast some exceptionally good teachers, most of them are inept and have no business teaching. They enjoy playing mind games and love to experiment on their students with all sorts of "phsycology." The school is also dominated by the new Georgia standards; if you have never heard of the Mathematics Task, run away. Far away. As a general rule, the teachers and the adminstration are not inclined in the least to try to help you. I have one that has dilberately failed me on a test - the same test that, once graded, I took to Sylvan. Sylvan pointed out about seven questions I answered correctly. I researched these questions; I presented the information to my teacher; and she refused to change my grade in the least.

Posted February 24, 2010

I am a student that currently goes to this school. If you are looking for a traditional school with traditional teachers, don't expect to find it here. There are lots of politics involved with all of the descisions that the school board makes. Currently, they're overhauling the whole school so that it can get a hefty grant. That means cutting electives. I feel that the school board here is more interested in lining its pockets than keeping the best interests of the students in mind.

Posted November 6, 2008

The school is ok if you know people and get along with the teachers that is how i got through school but another than that the teachers are awesome if you dont get on their bad side

Posted October 3, 2008

Dade County High School...It really all depends on what 'group' your in to achieve what you want in activities such as: cheerleading, football, basketball, baseball, so on and so on. Also the Sheriff's are always giving some of the teenagers a hard time more than the teachers. Drive a nice car?...beware, you will be pulled over. The town is so small and so is the population of Dade County. All though I have been a student of this school and I have met some of the most caring people and that have made a difference in my life, but watch out some will get the best of you also. I wouldnt recommend the school but it is a quiet and peaceful town with the most beautiful mountains you'll ever see. I call it God's Country.

Posted December 13, 2007

I am a former student of dchs. Well it has its ups and downs. It is a small community so things do seem to get around easy like you never have privacy with out any one knowing. So you need to keep it to your self. And as far as the school,i really liked it. If your not willing to learn yourself then of coarse they are not going to deal with you. But you just have to choose your friends wisely.Class of 2010

Posted October 24, 2007

DCHS is the best school I have ever been to. the teachers are helpful. I love it here. and unlike what those people say I have no name in the community. they still treat me that same as anyone. they have treated me better than any other school I have been to.there are no politics.DCHS is a small school in a small town and theyre the nicest people you will ever meet.

Posted September 19, 2006

I worked at DCHS and let me tell you the student/teacher ratio is nowhere near 17...try 30. Being such a small school however, makes it possible for a student with little prior sports training to join a team, which is not possible in larger venues. Given the choice however, if I had children, I would not send them to DCHS...there are much better public institutions within 30 minutes.
—Submitted by a staff

Posted May 12, 2006

I attended this school and I thought it was very lacking. The academic programs weren't very good and kind of left the kids falling behind. I had 2 good teachers that helped me with everything I needed, if not for them I would have quit. The extracurricular activities are there if you are in one of the 'in' groups, as it seems that all the same students were in the activities and others just didn't seem to cut it.

Posted October 12, 2005

Dade County does not only have an excellent school, but is an excellent community to grow up in. The teachers more then prepared me to go on to further my education. I am now in college and have seen many students struggle through adjusting to the new atmosphere and hard work. However, I have had no problem. I owe a lot of this to the teachers at Dade County High. They let me know from the beginning what to expect 'in the real world.' Many of the 'new' things that I have dealt with in college, are things that I was already introduced to in high school. Thanks to the teachers at Dade County High School my college years ,however difficult, will be easier because of their preparation for me to further my education.

Posted August 2, 2005

I went to school here and I really hated it, and so dose my sister. My family dosen't have a name in this county and if you do the staff will treat you better then the rest of the studants. The dress code is very strict. I was class of 2004 and we had the most drop outs in 30 years. I and most of my friends dropped out because of the dress code and the because the staff treated diffrant than they would kids with certan last names. My sister is a sophmore this year and says that it is only getting wrose. You can't wear shirts with writting on them and you can't have patches in your jeans. So if your child rippes a hole in his pants and you can't afford new ones your out of luck. If you don't have money this school is not for you.

Posted March 24, 2005

As a parent I have to say there are far more lows for this school than highs. The school has great potential but until the school is separated from the political circle it doesn't have a chance. I have a real hurt for this community because the parents are very involved and are willing to do anything to help out but they are being so misled as to what their children need to achieve high levels of satisfaction in society. If a student is wanting to come back to Dade County, then the school is great for them but if their dreams take them in a different direction, then they are not prepared and have to strive very hard to catch up. The focus is on the sports, and not the academic program. Students are awarded due to who they are related to and not their achievements.

Posted August 10, 2003

This school was an excellent school! I was a student in the Dade County School System until I graduated in 2002. I feel that I was given the best educational experience that I could have possibly had! I achieved all of my academic goals as well as extracurricular goals. Our school had many award winning extracurricular activities, clubs, and lots of school spirit combined with excellent, caring teachers.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2011.

148 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 93% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 80% in 2011.

2009

Scale: % at or above passing

In 2010-2011 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) in English language arts, math, science and social studies to students in grade 11. The GHSGT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass all parts of the GHSGT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 95% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Writing Test (GHSWT) to students in grade 11. The GHSWT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass the GHSWT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

172 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

183 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

300 Tradition Ln