Tucker Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1316 students

Posted yesterday

Best teachers ever! Middle school can be tough anywhere but we found the teachers at Tucker engage the students and help them be successful. They are well prepared for high school.

Posted Friday, September 26, 2014

An Awesome School The Stem teams are challenging but fun We have built microscopes Laser engraved And made 3D cars + on google sketchup we made 3D models of the school Dont be intimidated you dont have to be on the stem team The teachers are awesome and theyre are alot of clubs and were amazing at football We are the dekalb county champions our scoreboard now is 45-0 against henderson And 77-0 against stone mountain

Posted September 22, 2014

My son finished his middle school years at Tucker and I disagree with a lot of the ratings about this school. I stayed in constant contact with my children's teachers and communication was never a problem. My daughter consistently maintains advanced placement status and they continuously challenge her with her coursework and extra curricula activities. My son was diagnosed with Aspergers at 12 years old and he successfully completed middle school at Tucker with a 2.89 GPA, up 1.5 from his previous school. I think anything worth having takes work and we've worked with the teachers and administrators and our kids are all the better for it. Tucker Middle is awesome.

Posted September 10, 2014

My child attended TMS last year and was in the gifted program. I found that teachers were uninterested in helping their students learn/succeed, choosing instead to vent about their personal problems, poor at communicating, poor at entering grades in the online gradebook (to the point that one teacher told me he had entered the number of grades he was required to enter and would enter no more, because he had done all that was required of him). Teachers did not respond to multiple requests from me and the counselors on my behalf to receive a set of textbooks for the home, even claiming that he never received emails sent by the counselor or me. All in all, the year was a nightmare. My child is at another school this year and thriving.

Posted August 18, 2014

My child participates in the STEM at Tucker Middle School and it has been a great program. No school is perfect and we do the best we can to make each experience a positive one. I want my child to learn we live in a diverse culture and be prepared for succeeding in the real world. The teachers are engaged and enthusiastic about helping the kids make the best choices.

Posted August 15, 2014

At Tucker Middle School as in EVERY school in the county, the experience your child has at this age has a lot to do with what you put into it as a parent. My child has had an excellent experience at Tucker Middle School. Did you know that Tucker Middle School is the ONLY middle school in the entire county with a STEM program? Did you also know that TMS is an International Baccalaureate school? Tucker Middle School was also the 2013 champion for football. Talk to parents, get involved in your child's education, and choose Tucker Middle. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Posted August 11, 2014

Parents need to be realistic about their expectations of a middle school. This is a fine place for all children to learn, mature and be nurtured in our diverse community. Is it all peaches and cream? No, but the faculty and staff along with the dedicated volunteers are there to create the best learning experience for all of Tucker children. If you are looking for a bubble look elsewhere, if you are looking for diversity, enthusiasm, school pride and Tucker spirit, this is where the journey begins!

Posted August 10, 2014

Run.far.away.from.this.school. Breeding ground for thugs and incompetent teachers who many also happen to be thugs. Horrible mistake staying in this community for the the three years my daughter attended. I have since moved and hoping the middle school my other daughter goes to will be a better experience. In fact, I will see to it.

Posted June 5, 2014

Tucker Middle is not as bad as it seems it just lacks some proper authority. As a former student there in the 2013-14 years I feel that the school is reasonably bad but we've earned a better reputation over the few years. Rumors are spread but everyone is pretty friendly. Somehow everything seems to get done. So TMS is not so bad after all. I give props for us always coming together.

Posted March 26, 2014

People are to hard on tucker. It's not that bad you just have to get used to it. People complain about the ghettoness of the school and basically no matter where you go in dekalb county you are going to find that. Tucker has some of the best teacher and there aren't communication problems, you have to go through the council ing office to get to teachers. Parents complain about the school and they are illegitimate complaints. You have no reason to criticize someone who is doing there job as good as they can with the limited resources. If you have a problem with tucker it's probably no only tucker expirencing that problem it most likely county wide. We aren't a private school so don't treat us like one. And don't complain about the lunch if you need a certain type of linch or think it is nasty bring your own

Posted March 7, 2014

For students in the accelerated and/or gifted programs, Tucker Middle is a solid school. They learn their course material, but also how to be independent and begin handling their own schedules, relationships with teachers, etc. Sixth grade starts out somewhat sheltered, but they are given more freedom and flexibility each year. The chorus and band programs are outstanding. Teachers may take a day or two to respond to emails, but they have always responded (in my experience) and helped resolved whatever issue was at hand. We've been pleased and will send our second child to Tucker Middle this fall.

Posted December 19, 2013

Just too many kids with behavior problems at this school. The teachers are a mixed bag - my son has had a few that were outstanding, most are average, and a few that taught him absolutely nothing. Not too much parent involvement at TMS and it shows. Communication between school and home needs improvement. If you're lucky enough to have a child in gifted classes they'll do ok because those teachers tend to be more interested in their students performance. The other classes have too many kids who can't or won't behave and they mess up things for everyone else. If I had a choice (I don't) my son wouldn't go to this school.

Posted November 18, 2013

Tucker Middle School is actually a very poor school with respect to communication, scheduling flexibility, technology and leadership. Teachers ignore emails, as do assistant principals and it makes interacting with the school a very unpleasant experience. As a parent, I have tried to communicate with some teachers and administrators, seeking feedback and constructive guidance. They avoid emails, phone calls, and are virtually non-responsive with my student's requests for help. It is not all of the students or staff, but it is so bad that it puts a very bad image forward, that may not reflect all of the other teachers, administrators and staff that really do care. Dr. Cunningham is a proactive and fair principal, but her staff lets her down in my opinion. Where she tries to elevate the school, her staff lowers it. Regrettably, I would never recommend this school to a prospective parent or student.

Posted August 9, 2013

My son has attended Tucker Middle School for 2years now, and he is in his final year there, and I must say, I think his experiences in 6th and 7th grade have been very challenging. I also love that the school is very diverse and offer many extracurricular activities for the students. I have had great communication with his Teachers and have been allowed in the classroom to analyze the class. I love it and so does my son.

Posted May 29, 2013

My daughter was very educated when attending this school. She had awesome teachers. The staff and pricinpal was great running the school. I was very involved with the school. Overall Tucker Middle was a great school being diverse.

Posted May 1, 2012

I disagree with greatschools.org's rating of a 5 for this school. Everything from leadership to the teachers and even how the lunch program is administered is below average. Teachers and leadership are completely unresponsive to communication efforts. My child pays full price for lunch and everyday is met with understock lunch facilities and lunch room personnel giving nothing but excuses as to why they are not providing the food that is listed on the school's menu.

Posted March 13, 2012

This school offers strength in the diversity of its students. The teachers really care. Most of the kids seem as happy and as well adjusted as a middle school student can be. My daughter is very happy there.

Posted December 29, 2011

This is my childs first year of attending this school. I find that she is not only able to maintain an a average, but also come home from school everyday with a huge grin on her face. I am satisfied knowing that she is making new friends. After meeting her teachers, I know that she will not only continue to make good grades, but also face new challenges in her studies. Seeing her happy everyday, I know that she is in good hands.

Posted September 29, 2011

Currently my daughter attends TMS and we have been just as happy as we were when our son attended. Is everything perfect, NO, BUT when is anything perfect. I agree about communication but this year's PTA is working on it. I found that the more involved I am the more I know what is happening in the school.

Posted September 28, 2011

I have a daughter that attends this school and I have found this to be a great school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

429 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

437 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

429 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

442 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

431 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

393 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

396 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

470 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

476 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

470 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

476 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

468 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

469 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

• Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options
  • Accessible via public transportation
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields

• Theory
Performing arts
  • Drama
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2160 Idlewood Rd