Tucker High School 4

Posted August 11, 2014
THS is a great place to be whoever you are. Whether you are a musician, a writer, an athlete, a social butterfly, a soldier, an engineer -- Tucker has whatever you're looking for and nurtures your talents and interests in a caring environment, regardless of race or creed.

Tucker High School 3

Posted August 01, 2014
I'm an incoming 10th grader at Tucker High School, and unfortunately, I was able to experience the full brunt of faults beginning only my freshman year. Every school has bad teachers, but the fact that after innumerable complaints, conferences, and interventions, these teachers are allowed to continue to "teach" demonstrates Tucker ' s priorities. The main cause of my not- so -high rating is that so much emphasis is put on the football program that both academics and, surprisingly, other sports,- fall in its shadow. The football is fantastic, yes, but I would love if when I search ' tucker high school ' on google, articles about Tucker students winning national awards, the latest spring musical, and even thoughts about the other great Tucker sports teams ( including the lady tigers, whose championship win didn't quite inspire much excitement through the halls as a football championship would) pop up. Also, Tucker claims a " diversity", which is really code for, "overcrowding" . Might I add a last bit, the counselors? I wouldn't trust them for advice. Or scheduling, for that matter.

Tucker High School 3

Posted May 07, 2014
Why no reviews for three years? Tucker HS is an "ok" school. You'll find good and bad teachers in every school, so the quality of teachers isn't the issue. The problems that I see are related to overcrowding: scheduling at the start of the school year was awful with hundreds more students showing up than expected, counselors are often too busy to be effective, kids have to share lockers (but the lockers can't hold the belongings of more than one student and their books weigh four and five pounds). I really hope DeKalb does something about letting students transfer to already overcrowded schools when their home schools are under capacity. There are a lot of clubs and activities for students to participate in, so that's a positive. Overall, it's an average school that would probably improve a lot with far fewer students.

Posted May 17, 2011
I have been a teacher at Tucker High school for 10 years and I don't think that there is a school that strives to continually improve in every aspect more than this school. Our principal sets the standards high and constantly sets new challenges. We have a brand new school that is the size of a mini-college campus. Our parent organization is very involved and the community is very supportve. We have a very caring faculty as well a an excellent academic and sports program.

Tucker High School 4

Posted March 01, 2011
I definitely do not agree w/ the 2008 alumni, that students after their class seem to care less and less. When you have kids who are graduating after that class literally going to some of the best schools in the country... I believe that's a testament not only to the students dedication but even moreso to the teachers and faculty who pour into their students lives an education and valuable life skills. That in my opinion counters some private schools in the metro-area. Granted every school has students who don't want to be there/ learn, the IB program provides a great path for the select population of the school who desire to challenge themselves, and if not IB even AP which is also a challenging curriculum in and of itself. Even though it's not a "perfect" school, personally I don't think any school is, especially after coming to college and meeting a host of private school students who in many cases did not have the same rigor and support system at their school that I had at Tucker. -Very Recent Graduate

Posted July 28, 2009
Good teachers that care about student learning

Posted April 06, 2009
this school is so GREAT! i go there, now and the eduaction is great, theres IB and AP classes and also the advanced are also given. the teachers are great and i love the diversity!!

Posted June 16, 2008

Posted June 04, 2008
I am a tucker alumni I graduated just recently class of 2008 and i have had the best education i could ask for. I've always made sure and got the best teachers. From since 9th grade the teachers have kept me under their wings. I felt well prepred after leaving tucker I got accepted to All my schools and I am confident that iI will do well in school. Things are changing at tucker it seems like every class under 2008 seem to care less and less about an eduacation.

Tucker High School 2

Posted April 09, 2008
My friend and I are seniors at Tucker, and we personally feel that our high school experiences could have been MUCH better. We've had trouble with the counselors; mostly their ineptitude to do anything properly or on time. Several members of the staff are simply unable to teach, for any given reason, yet despite endless complaints, are allowed to continue teaching at Tucker. The few decent teachers are overshadowed by the incompetency of their fellow staff members. Between the two of us, we could come up with 6 teachers who have been beneficial to us throughout our high school careers. For those children with learning disabilities, no extra help is provided to ensure that they get the most out of their education, even with the begging and pleading from parents and notes from concerned doctors. Those few teachers certified to help seem to ignore the problems all together. Hopefully, things will improve.

Tucker High School
5036 Lavista Rd, Tucker, GA  30084
Last modified Tucker High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Tucker High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top