Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Midvale Elementary School is wonderful community school. My daughter has been a students there for 5 years. We have had kind, nurturing, and dedicated teachers who work hard to ensure every student achieves success. The new administration at the school works tirelessly to provide a strong academic foundation, facilities improvements, and to welcome and involve all stakeholders. The IB program is fantastic and integrates character education into the classroom. In addition, it provides a global focus in which students learn that we are all part of a larger community and our actions impact others. The IB units are student centered and encourage critical thinking skills. In addition to the IB program the school offers a fantastic STEM program. Midvale offers wonderful after school clubs for the students. The parents and community members are supportive and involved creating a close-knit neighborhood school.

I have been dealing with Midvale since the 2012/13 school year. In this time I have learned alot about this school and have witnessed several things that have brought dissatisfaction to me. I have learned that the only thing this school truly cares about is keeping up appearances and money. They tend to turn the other cheek when matters get serious. Midvale is a school which offers the IB program, though I feel there is little to be said for this program at Midvale. They work hard to place a huge emphasis on this program to gain more enrollments from school choice but they fall short of standing behind what the IB program is truly about. It's simply a way of increasing FTE numbers to qualify for federal funding. Your child is simply a number and dollar symbol for them. This year Midvale is being reviewed by the IB committee to determine if the program will remain in effect there. I personally hope that the committee sees what myself and many other parents have seen over the years. They do not represent IB at all. They try to rob your child of his/her individuality and force them to conform to what they consider acceptable today. This school does not deserve the IB title! There have been several accounts of bullying where it is swept under the rug, yet they claim "zero tolerance". Clearly by zero tolerance they mean they simply will not deal with it at all. Even some of the teachers are bullying these children! Over the years I have seen various teachers make the decision to leave this school and they were exceptional educators. One of which when I spoke with directly simply stated, " It was time to go". I find with each passing year this school loses more quality educators. Myself, along with several friends and neighbors, have all watched this rapid decline in what was once a great school. Every day my child comes home and shares with me the things going on in this place. The more she shares, the higher my disgust level. Thankfully, there is school choice and I can research other options for my children. Sadly, it means no longer attending our "district" school, but as a very wise teacher once said, "It is time to go".

Develops character: Strongly agree

my children display these qualities and have to thank the school as well as home training.

Our two children transferred here from another less loved school thru the GA Choice program. Our son was in K at that time and had a hard time adjusting from day care to a bigger setting. his teacher was not very helpful neither was the staff. they had him suspended nearly half the school year and did not care to provide adequate alternative. Enter Midvale ES.....a life saver. From day one of the transfer we met with the principal, counselor, teacher and psychologist. THey took notes and after 3 weeks or so of no suspension only calls home to 'talk to him' he was arleady on an upward trend. What I like is that the entire staff took time to get to know him, his level of comprehension, his style, his personality and rather than 'label' him as a problem they got to know him as a little boy who needs a little help. the care, concern, love, attention and knowledge this staff showed the entire time is impeccable to say the least. He's a rising 2nd grader now and has only been suspended 1-2x the past 2 yrs. He has improved greatly and I doubt i'd have had the same tale to tell if he stayed in the old school. Both he and our daughter are enjoying wonderful school experience. Love love love this school.

We chose to send our son to Midvale for a few reasons - 1) We believe the IB curriculum provides a valuable curriculum from which he will greatly benefit, 2) The science related extra curricular activities provide an opportunity for him that he otherwise may not get, 3) It is very diverse in every way - racially, ethnically, economically, etc - and this is something we value. Since starting Midvale last year, we have gotten to know the administration and teachers. They are caring and we trust them with our son. We have had a wonderful experience thus far and look forward to what lies ahead for our son. Update (March 2016) - Our son continues to thrive at Midvale and is about to transition to the 6th grade. The 2015-2016 school year has been a change, as a new principal was hired. The new principal's agenda has changed the culture of the school and programs have been eliminated to the detriment of the children. Communication between the administration (not the teachers) and parents is sub-par at best. Extra-curricular programs have become trite and the school's former uniqueness is wearing off. Recess and physical education are extremely limited. While Midvale's IB and STEM programs are excellent, I worry that the other aspects of the school will start to diminish their impact.

Midvale is a great school! My three children attend there. I have to say that having STEM in the school has made it very unique in that Midvale offers both a STEM and IB curriculum for the entire school. Mr. Kitchen has done an excelent job at setting up the STEM program for the school. All of my children love going into both his or Mr. Makkers labs (yes, Midvale actually has two STEM labs). Every time my children visit a lab they come home telling me about all of the cool things they are doing in school. We are very happy with Midvale.

Great school and provides great opportunities for my child that he wouldn't get anywhere else. The teachers are so professional and experienced and care about each students. The IB curriculum is perfect! They have implemented a new system with implementing engineering called STEM where they learnt science, technology, engineering and math and my son loves Mr. Makkers so much! He says he looks forward to his class each day, we really appreciate the innovative styles of learning that he displays in his classroom and would not chose another school for him to learn and grow!

My daughter started kindergarten at Midvale this year. Getting her tested, registered, and processed was painlessly delivered. We choose this school to participate in the IB curriculum, and provide our daughter with a balanced, measurably diverse culture. The school has invested in electronic security, and appears to provide a calm, safe learning environment. When necessary the school has contacted us to provide information however we are heavily involved on a day to day/weekly basis. I encourage all parents to not wait but to et involved in making our school and great school. Class visitation and volunteering is encouraged. Good luck and make it a great school.. !!

Love the school! The teachers are helpful, patient, very experienced and extremely creative. The Principal and the staff are attentive and accommodating. I could not have elected a better group of people to influence my children for the rest of their lives.

Midvale is a great school, great community with an active PTA. If the previous reviewer had issues it may be a "needle in the haystack". I suggest that parent talk to her daughters teachers, the principal and other parents. The students no longer change classes because studies show it is better they don't and it was the TEACHERS that asked for this. For my son, this is a god send, he performs and learns far more by not changing classes. It is certainly not a matter of being lazy. We have been at Midvale for 6 years and have enjoyed it. Never heard of food issues. Midvale is a benefit to our neighborhood!! My son loves it!

Last modified Midvale Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.