Valdosta High School

Public | 9-12 | 1681 students

Sweep tile

Posted October 24, 2013

I'm a parent of two wonderful, brilliant girls. Both attended VHS. My youngest daughter still attends and is a current Wildcat cheerleader for five consecutive years, my oldest was a Wildcat cheerleader as well for seven consecutive years and held cheer captain position during her senior year, was a graduate of class of 2010. I've read all the previous posts and agree, to a certain extent, to most. These past seven years of experience with Valdosta High School have been pretty remarkable! We first came to the area because we were an Air Force family, afterward we chose to make Valdosta our permenant home. I truly value Valdosta High School's faculty and ability to enhance my children's lives with not only academic knowledge but knowledge of life experiences in general. The school is worn down and in need of much repair! A much needed new site has been selected for the future home of the Wildcats. I definitely recommend VHS to any parent who choses Valdosta as their new home. Football is a HUGE part of this city as you will find; after all we are Title-town USA! GO CATS!!

Posted May 25, 2009

As the parent of an honor graduate I would like to state for the record, that my child attended this school for four years without any sighting of a rodent. The facilities are very clean. The student body is very diverse and interacts socially outside of the different ethnicities. My child has been well-educated and is prepared for college. The system does an excellent job educating gifted and talented students. I was advised to place my child in the city school system if it was rigor and academic achievement I desired for him. I have not been disappointed.

Posted March 7, 2008

As a Parent, I have found Valdosta High School to provide a very high level, college prep education. I am very surprised by the rating shown on here. I doubt those doing the rating have ever seen the School. We were new to the area and quite a few people attempted to steer us to the other School. Once we did our own research into test scores, the cirriculum, the athletic program, etc, we felt Valdosta High was the right place. Additionally, with the coming IB program, the School will become even better. If you're moving into this area, dont buy into some of the misinformation that is being spread by some who have ulterior motives. Do your own homework.

Posted August 20, 2007

Valdosta High is an ecellent school. The outcomes from college bound students are the best in the region. The new International Curiculum will further strengthen a great Advanced Placement program.

Posted August 13, 2007

I am disappointed and disheartened by the ridiculous rules and regulations implemented the 2007-8 school year. These are not children; they are young adults and should be treated as such with respect. I am fearful for my child's safety when the backlash ensues. I find it hard to believe the administration has any background in child psychology, and perhaps they don't. My husband and I are working diligently at moving from this area so that our children will have a better chance at a quality education in an environment conducive to allow this.

Posted February 24, 2006

I think Valdosta High School is a wonderful institution, with a student body who really has pride in their school. These study performs well reguardless of the limited resources they have to work with. This school has a wonderful extracurricular program, which the students take great pride in. As parent, we need to become more involved and offer more support to our students. I will not have my child attend any other school in the state. Our pride in this school is alive a well.

Posted June 16, 2005

I'm a senior at VHS and i really and truly love VHS. Some of my friends that have went to or is currently attending Lowndes High thinks that VHS students aren't as educated as them, even though i know that they are probably joking, but still. I have to disagree with that because I am a very smart student and I wouldn't want to change to another school for anything. The teachers are great and the students are also cool, I have many friends at VHS. And yeah it's true that we have rodent problems and whatever but hey that's something I can care less about right now. But I have to agree with the person that said that students that haven't passed all 5 parts of the graduation test should still get to walk. alesha c/o '06

Posted May 13, 2005

I disagree with the current policy for graduation, even if a student does not pass the graduation test, they should be allowed to walk with their class. Some student may feel disregarded by their peers if this happens. thank you.

Posted March 7, 2005

Currently, I am but a mere freshmen in this high school. Though I am quite new to this school, I have found out many ups and downs of being here. The school is in dire need of new facilities and what not. The bathrooms are rundown and the classrooms are somewhat disturbing with small mice crawling and hardly any of the trash cans emptied. The teachers make this school an exception to live out my entire school year, though. The teachers here are exceptionally good at what they teach as well. Overall I appreciate this school and its faculty.

Posted February 16, 2005

I am currently a senior at Valdosta High and I don't have too many good things to say about my expereinces over the last four years, in which we have had 3 different principles. The biggest problem at VHS is the facilities. Having a pod set up with wall dividers between classrooms can be very distracting. Not to mention, sometimes when you're taking a test, you can hear another class being taught the same material that you're being tested on. Nevertheless, Teachers and students make the best of the situation and try to adapt to it. Altought,it is irritating to know that the school spent millions of dollars to build a new football stadium ( which was already in decent condition) instead of building new academic facilities that were needed. It seems like the people in power of the school system don't have their priorties in order.

Posted November 21, 2004

I am currently a student at Valdosta High and I wouldn't want to go anywhere else. Valdosta has one of the best athletic/extracurricular programs in the state, especially when it comes to football. The Wildcats boast the winningest football record in the NATION, and school spirit is one thing every student here unites in. The teachers at Valdosta are also very supportive and the courses offered are diverse. The only down side to this school is the old facilty, but thanks to SPLOST renovations and new buildings are being constructed every year. People like to point out race variances at VHS, but as far as I've seen students of different races get along and don't discriminate because of skin color.

Posted November 14, 2004

I have mixed emotions about my 4 years as a student here.Particularly, football receives best coaches, facilities, funding, and community support in country.Overall, participation on any VHS sport team is awesome experience.Outstanding, caring teachers are here, but they only teach Honors and AdvancedPlacement classes.At VHS, you MUST take Honors classes for solid background for college.Most VHS students completely don't care about education, thus you have a carefree,unmotivated environment.The Valdosta facility is bad;most classrooms are made from wall dividers.There are no windows;It is dirty, dark, and rat-infested,but I got used to it fast. If your from the north,you would think this school is still segregated,but its actually called racial preference.Blacks prefer to hang with Blacks and vice-versa.(i.e. eating on opposite lunchroom sides, parking in diff't lots)However, most everyone unites for school spirit(BTY, only ONE prom now)VHS has been a cultural eyeopener for me.. it was a rough experience sometimes,butI don't regret it.

Posted November 13, 2004

I am a former student, not a parent of a student. I am appalled by the very poorly worded posts supposedly giving a 'review' of my school. Valdosta High School is one of Georgia's oldest high schools and, in my book, its top students are right up there with the very best public and private high school students in Atlanta, where I now live. The webmaster should read certain posts, recognize them for what they are (rantings of some disgruntled delinquent?), and weed them out. The best students at Valdosta High out-perform the best students of not only all of the other high schools in Lowndes County, but the VAST MAJORITY of high schools in Georgia. If you are considering high schools in Lowndes County, you should know that VHS's top students are the best, STILL, in Valdosta.

Posted May 3, 2004

Hey I was in the class of 2002. That was a few years back but so I don't know all the current gossip about it. I do know this: There maybe bad small town politics and if you visit it will appear to be slightly scary due to the fact that guys are just huge there. But there's no other school in Valdosta that I would have liked to go to. There we're any race problem during my time there. And it's amazing how the student body will unite in school spirit, while not everyone may love the football team, any graduate that hears someone comment on how they aren't what the team use to be, will defend it. Cause VHS teaches more then just academics, it teaches to be a unite and love what you are, and when you're there you're a wildcat. c/o '02

Posted April 21, 2004

Valdosta High School is a school that used to be thought high of, but now it has hit rock bottom. The assistant principals are unfair and the principal, Dr. Craft, has no control over us. This school also has a serious cleanliness problem, we have rats, mice, and roaches. I would strongly recommend sending your child to another school. am currently a student here and it is a horrible place. will ganas

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2011.

349 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 93% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 80% in 2011.

2009

Scale: % at or above passing

In 2010-2011 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) in English language arts, math, science and social studies to students in grade 11. The GHSGT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass all parts of the GHSGT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 95% in 2013.

312 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Writing Test (GHSWT) to students in grade 11. The GHSWT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass the GHSWT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

278 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

232 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

234 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

401 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

251 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

402 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

237 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

311 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

Asian 2% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

• Rufus McDuffie
Fax number
  • (229) 333-8584

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3101 N Forrest St