Vibrant picture books with creative story lines are ever popular among the kindergarten set. These titles are sure to spark your youngster’s imagination and inspire her to start reading on her own:
• The Magic Hat by Mem Fox and Tricia Tusa. Children love the rhymes and repetition in this story about a mysterious, magical hat that turns unsuspecting people into animals.
• Bats at the Library by Brian Lies. While the plot about a bunch of bats paying a nocturnal visit to a public library is sure to delight, the detailed illustrations are the real treat.
• Fancy Nancy books by Jane O’Connor. Fancy Nancy is a captivating, quirky protagonist, and the illustrations in this series are just as engaging. Great for beginning readers too.
• Owl Moon by Jane Yolen. This exquisitely written story about a special adventure between a young daughter and her father into the quiet winter night is an absolute treasure.
• My Sister and I by P. K. Hallinan. While this story touches on sibling relationships and the love they can foster, all of P. K. Hallinan’s heartwarming books focus on the importance of family, friendships, and good morals.
• I Love You Stinkyface by Lisa McCourt. A sweet story about a boy who tests the limits of his mother’s love by turning himself into multiple slimy, stinky creatures before realizing that her love is unconditional.
Have your own book recommendations? Add them to the Parent Picks list!