Bad
Good

Waimalu is a very good school with caring teachers and staff. My daughter had a very solid start to her kindergarten year. I heard that different teachers give varying amounts of homework and her teacher did not give more than one sheet per night. I thought that was very adequate given that it is kindergarten. She was well prepared for first grade and learned many sight words for reading. Her math skills are on par too. We moved to Mililani and she's had no trouble making the transition. The teacher was always encouraging and the office staff was most helpful with questions, making payments. The principal, Mr. Hui, is very enthusiastic and the kids all respect him - this was noticed at assemblies. They have a brand new library this year too. I loved that they had uniforms too. Great school overall.

Waimalu Elementary. This is a good elementary school. I would recommend it. My husband is in the military and this school has really been there for our children.

This is an excellent public school and I would highly recommend it. The administrators, teachers and staff are wonderful and very caring. I think they all do an outstanding job. There is great involvement from the parents and community as evident in the tremendous turnout at events the PTO sponsors. I especially liked the 4th grade business curriculum. My child will be moving on to middle school soon, but we have had a great experience with Waimalu Elementary. Not one complaint about any teacher she has had from K through 6th grade.

If there was any public school I had to choose on, It would be Waimalu Elementary. My child loved the teaches a well as her classmates. We now live in Nevada and The schools here have very poor leadership!! Before coming here my child could count to 50 as well as write her name; First, Middle and last, and new majority of her alphabets by sight. Here the educators care only of a paycheck that most students are left to fend for themselves against their peers.

this school taught me to be ready for the real world and now that i attend a private school, i am ready for the stress and homework that i receive. This is an excellent school.

Our daughter attended 2nd and 3rd grade. Although through our military travels, she's never gone to an outstanding school, and Hawaii doesn't have a good rep, Waimalu was a pleasant surprise. Her two teachers, Mrs. Young and Mrs. Ige, were caring, experienced and resourceful when dealing with our ADHD daughter. It does desperately need better facilities and after school programs. But she loved her time there, and I think she was reasonably challenged. Mrs. Fu the school counselor also a big bonus and wonderful resource. Somebody raise some money and get those kids a playground please!

This is our first time dealing with Hawaii schools. I would not reccomend this school for any parent faced with the option of sending their child here. The education is sub-par compared to our last school in Missouri and they appear to be lacking in necessary funding to provide paper towels in the bathrooms. The PTO is basically non-existant as well. Needless to say my child will not be attending Waimalu next year.

My daughter just completed her first quarter of first grade at Waimalu, and we are delighted with the school. My husband is in the military and we just transferred here. We were concerned due to the reputation of Hawaii public schools, but this school is far better and more advanced than the 'excellent' school at our last duty station. I have spoken with friends with first graders in other states, and the reading program at Waimalu is ahead of the pack. The math program seems to be on target. I am very impressed by the PTO. It was like pulling teeth to get parents involved at the last school. Waimalu has a friendly, active PTO, and we look forward to more involvement. I would definitely recommend Waimalu School. And if you think your child is behind, talk to the teacher and other parents, and spend some one-on-one time with your child.

Last modified Waimalu Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.