PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Our Savior Lutheran School is an outstanding school with excellent teacher:student ratio which provides individualized attention, along with accommodations for children with learning difficulties. All children leave the school well prepared for their academic challenges they will face in their high school and college years. The school provides an excellent foundation in math, science, and language arts. It is the only school that I am aware that provides all students with art, music, and speech as part of their curriculum, plus speech and debate and foreign language courses in middle school which are considered expendable in most schools. Because the school is a STEAM school, robotics, coding and engineering is also taught and encouraged. The caring environment encourages and teaches students to have self control, ownership in their learning, and teaches study skills for future growth. With todays distractions, it is easy for children to loose site of their self worth; however, at Our Savior Lutheran, children grow up to be responsible and successful young adults. This is why so many generations of families return with their children and grandchildren.
September 04, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

They work with both the "teaser" (or aggressive bully), and the victim in striving for resolution with changing attitudes and behaviors.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

They try different things to reach the children. They refer students to places that can help, and they have a Support Director to monitor children.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The children all treat adults respectfully and include each other in their talk. They are encouraged to speak up and share their thoughts. Teachers model respectful and caring behavior.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

While they have their rules, they try different ways to evaluate our kids and different ways to motivate them to do the necessary practice.

I attended Our Savior as a child, preschool to 3rd grade, and then returned for 5th to 8th grade. Because I experienced different schools, I made sure my children have all gone through Our Savior. The school has kept focused on the individual students and searching what works for the child. I have 3 children who are very different, but I knew each one was loved and was held to do their best, no matter their capability or whim at the time. They state that they are concerned for the whole child. It's true. My children all learned to care for others, to keep talking to God, and to have faithful character. In addition, they have their solid academic and communication skills, which put them ahead in high school and college. Keep it up, teachers and 'ohana!

We love it here at Our Savior Lutheran thus far. My daughter's experience as a Kindergartener has been amazing - she's come so far with her attitude about learning and in her ability to read. We owe it all to Mrs. Fujii, who is so patient and loving, and who uses learning strategies that's really helped my little one to blossom! It also helps that the student to faculty ratio is low, so she gets a lot of individual attention. She also learns music and computer skills from separate teachers that specialize in that area. I'd also like to add that my daughter is a creative one, so she absolutely loves her after school activities, Art Club and Hula! I chose this school because everyone who I spoke to about the school had only positive things to say, and because I was so impressed with the behavior and mannerisms of the older students at Open House. It wasn't just a front - these kids are respectful and friendly all year 'round! It really is a reflection of the teachers and leadership of this school. They have chapel once a week and devotion every day, which builds their faith and character. Lessons seem to revolve around love, grace, and thankfulness, rather than equipping them to to judge or condemn others. In chapel, my daughter is paired up with a "Chapel buddy," or older student, who acts as a role model for her, as well as developing leadership skills for the older ones. Students do so well here, that many of them go on to attend the prestigious larger private schools (OSLS is Preschool-8th Gr only). In reply to the Nov 2012 comment, this information is indeed shared in parent bulletins, and I know of many others who went on to the best privates schools that were not affiliated with staff at OSLS. As for leadership, the principal makes a point of greeting the parents and children every morning, is at every event that I've noticed, is always taking pictures of these events and posting them for parents to see, and keeps parents abreast with two or three emails a week. It's only been a year, but I highly recommend Our Savior Lutheran School. :)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

Not applicable thus far, but I'd imagine that with the teachings they are getting, there is no bullying

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted September 04, 2016

It's great! My child has had bad experiences at her previous schools, but the students, teachers, parents, and principal welcomed her and made her feel part of the family. Although the work is challenging, she now wants to go to school and wants to do well. The students all feel like they're part of a team. I heard this from others, but now I have seen for myself!

Because my father is in the military I attended several schools in the U.S. and Japan. Our Savior is the best, including my high school! I attended Our Savior's Preschool, Kindergarten and Grades 6-8. I attended a public high school because our family couldn't afford the private high schools. At UCLA, I see the foundations I received at Our Savior. Our Savior's teachers insisted I practiced and gained skills in typing, computer, grammar, speaking, organizing and presenting my thoughts in speech, in writing, and in actions, working with others, and becoming independent. Other schools didn't show us grammar and writing techniques, my classmates can't organize their thoughts or manage their work. When I give a presentation, with or without technology, I notice I do it quickly and well thanks to OSLS. I especially enjoyed having the principal teach some of my classes. The teachers and principal work together to tell us when we are going the wrong direction, encourage us when we're taking on new challenges, and praise us when we succeed. I am glad to hear they're constructing a new building soon. I wish them all God's blessings as they continue building up more young people.

Last modified Our Savior Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8