Aiea, HI
Before care: Yes

Posted November 23, 2014
It's great! My child has had bad experiences at her previous schools, but the students, teachers, parents, and principal welcomed her and made her feel part of the family. Although the work is challenging, she now wants to go to school and wants to do well. The students all feel like they're part of a team. I heard this from others, but now I have seen for myself!

Posted August 17, 2013
Because my father is in the military I attended several schools in the U.S. and Japan. Our Savior is the best, including my high school! I attended Our Savior's Preschool, Kindergarten and Grades 6-8. I attended a public high school because our family couldn't afford the private high schools. At UCLA, I see the foundations I received at Our Savior. Our Savior's teachers insisted I practiced and gained skills in typing, computer, grammar, speaking, organizing and presenting my thoughts in speech, in writing, and in actions, working with others, and becoming independent. Other schools didn't show us grammar and writing techniques, my classmates can't organize their thoughts or manage their work. When I give a presentation, with or without technology, I notice I do it quickly and well thanks to OSLS. I especially enjoyed having the principal teach some of my classes. The teachers and principal work together to tell us when we are going the wrong direction, encourage us when we're taking on new challenges, and praise us when we succeed. I am glad to hear they're constructing a new building soon. I wish them all God's blessings as they continue building up more young people.

Our Savior Lutheran School 4

Posted April 09, 2013
I have had 3 kids at this school for 10 years now and I consider it a solid choice for a great education. They cover all the basics of literature, math, social studies, and invest in an art teacher, choir classes, 2 foreign language classes, beginner and advanced band, as well as a real PE curriculum and after-school sports. As important, they teach and practice Christian values. Plus, they make it fun for the kids with field trips, Lutheran Spirit Week, and Olympics track & field day. It reminds us of school when we were growing up. The teachers care about the kids and the kids are nice to each other. The tuition is low for private schools, so it's a very good value. Regarding the Nov. 12 posting, acceptance to an "elite" private school b/c of being related to a staff or an involved parent is nonsense; my son was accepted to Punahou fm OSLS and no one ever asked us about our involvement. He is doing very well when it comes to academics and computer skills, and so is another student who was accepted last year fm OSLS. In fact, that boy is ahead in math compared to other Punahou kids b/c of the accelerated math program OSLS offers. It's a good school.

Posted February 04, 2013
As a parent of two OSLS alumni, I feel the need to share my experience as it sharply conflicts with the Nov. 13th posting. Both my children received a solid education at OSLS, academically and spiritually. The teachers and staff were wonderfully suited to their positions and very supportive of the students and parents. I credit OSLS with providing the foundation that enabled my children to be accepted at the private high school of our choice. Both are doing well and are able to use the knowledge and skills taught at OSLS to their advantage, even getting a waiver from computer class as they could prove they already had the needed skills. Through the OSLS website, you may find SAT scores and where the graduates attend high school after OSLS. The listings go back years, so you get a good picture of the school, past and present. Some families may make the choice not to continue with private schools. This decision can be a financial one, no relation to academics. Classmates of my children attending public schools are doing great, in honors and AP classes. I share this information as the kids actively stay in touch with each other via Facebook, etc. I highly recommend OSLS!

Our Savior Lutheran School 1

Posted November 13, 2012
I was referred to this school but have been very disappointed. Perhaps in the past the school may have been satisfactory, but in the past few years there has been instability in grades 7 and 8. It is shocking that instead of hiring a new teacher the school decided to use the prinicpal to teach 7th grade. This year the computer/Olympics coordinator is the 8th grade teacher. OSLS continues to ride on the reputation that they can get students into the best private schools, but why haven't they shared recent acceptances? OSLS students often end up going to public schools for high school and are average students. The students that do get into private school are usually related to OSLS staff or parents that are connected to the school. If you are looking for a school that is leading edge, innovative or student centered this is NOT the school for you. The technology at the school is at least 5 years behind and the students are not likely to prepare students for the future. Many parents fear that once their child leaves OSLS they will be at a technological deficit. It is a shame that the teaching methods and tools are outdated to the students detriment.

Posted August 29, 2012
This school is excellent in all aspects including 1. Academic foundation: teachers work hard with every single child. Creative & challenging homework improves our children extensively. Students engage in spelling bee & geography bee and Lutheran Schools Olympics. 2. Morality: They reinforce children with moral and respect . With Christian based method, teachers and aids are very nurturing, loving, and understanding. Mass held at school held are managed by upper level students. It's priceless. 3. Human resources: the Principle as well as teachers, aids, admin staffs work above and beyond their professions. They demonstrate teamwork, perseverance, intelligence and confidence. 4. Leadership: lower-level students learn to exercise the right to vote and upper level students learn to exercise leadership from student council's election. Parents are 100% involved willingly in the school activities. I am very satisfied with strong 'no bullying policy'. Upper level students demonstrate good manners to lower level fellows. They care for each other like brothers & sisters. As a parent of 2 active boys (who are now well mannered & have good spirits). I definitely recommend this school.

Posted August 31, 2010
As a current parent with two lower grade students I can attest that my children are receiving a solid academic foundation. My personal experience with the Kindergarten to 3rd grade teachers has been professional and kind. Any questions I have ever had are addressed in a timely fashion. This school is truly a blessing and bargain for the quality education it provides. Both of my children are advanced in reading, writing and math because of the solid academic programs. Aside from pure academics, the children have thrice-weekly music built into the curriculum, along with physical education. There are double recess periods built into the day to allow for energy release. Teachers are not just instructors, they are moral leaders to our children and they always encourage them to make morally sound decisions. As a parent this level of moral reinforcement in the classroom is priceless.

Our Savior Lutheran School 0

Posted April 27, 2010
As a teacher, I am both thrilled and blessed to be at Our Savior. It is truly a community school where students, parents, faculty, and staff can really depend on each other for support. It is also a place for individual growth and acceptance. I could not disagree more with comments shared about the principal and 2nd grade environment. Mr. Evensen is a wonderful, caring, and Christian man. He approaches every situation in the spirit of Christian love. He is very approachable, easy to talk to, and non-judgmental. He always encourages the teachers to communicate with parents, keeping in mind that their precious children are at the center. I admire his courage to NOT GIVE IN when parents are being unreasonable and/or expecting the impossible. And this rarely happens. As for 2nd grade, it is a wonderful learning environment that I;'d confidentally recommend to my own family and friends.

Posted October 26, 2009
We are really impressed with this 'little school that could'. They have so many great extra curricular and all school events - including multi-cultural week and an 'all-school' olympics, where multi-grade teams compete in sports events, including sack races, tricycle races, jumping, throwing, running, etc. They learn about team work and good sportsmanship. They are affordable and provide so much opportunity, including student government, sports, band, choir, chess club, drama, and much more. We're happy we made the decision to send our child here.

Our Savior Lutheran School 0

Posted September 16, 2009
My children are challenged. They work hard. They tell stories about character-building directions and counseling provided by the teachers.

Our Savior Lutheran School
98-1098 Moanalua Road, Aiea, HI  96701
Last modified Our Savior Lutheran School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Our Savior Lutheran School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top