Iroquois Point Elementary School

Public | K-6 | 728 students

Sweep tile

Posted December 3, 2013

Everyone in the community is happy with IPES and think that the students seem challenged, excited to go to school and they really like their teachers.

Posted September 29, 2013

Never have I encountered a school that praises themselves for only achieving 68% of the students able to pass the State testing (and we all know how easy those tests are). This is a school of teachers and administrators that are more concerned with their own jobs/careers rather than even the basic welfare of the students. Federal and state laws are not upheld nor fulfilled and student safety is not a major concern to anyone. Monies are mismanaged and not accounted for and the ability for teachers and staff to even utilize proper English grammar and spell words correctly is a continuous challenge ... and you wonder why your child begins to make stupid mistakes. This is a school where parents concerns are only provided lip-service and never really addressed. But then again this is Hawaii. Many parents elect not to participate in the school or support the school simply since it is a complete mess in the way the school is administrated and the political favoritism that is propagated by the administration. Then they wonder why parental engagement is so low (but they refuse to look in the mirror).

Posted July 10, 2013

Before moving to HI, I had always heard how awful the public schools in HI are. IPES is doing it's best to break that stereotype. It follows the International Baccalaureate program, the 1st public elementary school in the state to be accredited IB. They hold their staff and students to a high standard. The school welcomes volunteers and has an active PTA. I have 2 children at the school and couldn't be happier. The school has a long list of extras-: a band, an award winning robotics team, cheerleading, several sports teams, FREE after school tutoring assistance, etc. In May 2013, Honolulu Magazine ranked IPES 37th in the Best of the State school ranking feature article. I love that the school is half local/half relocated locals at heart. Several family events are held throughout the year. Many of my friends do not live in the area and have chosen IPES as their school. I look forward to the upcoming school year!

Posted April 26, 2013

School is horribly rampant with favoritism, politics, and mismanagement with deserving students not getting recognition. Some teachers work hard and strive for success but are hampered by a staff that is ineffective and consistently makes bad choices and fails to do the right thing. Good ethics elude them. It is understandable that many of the teachers are searching for a new place to teach. This school would be amazing if the administration staff would just be fair and honest. Just my impression but I fear other parents that have children there feel the same after speaking to many of them. If your child attends school there make sure you hold the school to standard because they are very much a school that believes in "do as I say, not as I do". What poor role models.

Posted November 22, 2011

My kids have been to 2 other schools in the Ewa Beach Area and this is by far the best school we have experienced. The facility may be old, but it is treated with care and respect as are the students who go here. The education is well rounded and is definitely representative of the IB curriculum. Parents are welcome to visit and volunteer and the communication between home and school is very good. I love the red folders that come home weekly- no sifting through homework folders for important papers! The fundraisers allow so many fun and educational field trip experiences and for classroom upgrades. If you want a quality education in a welcoming, safe environment in Ewa Beach- Iroquois has it.

Posted June 27, 2011

I have worked in several schools throughout my college and teaching career, and I can say that Iroquois is the best. First, the staff is highly efficient and qualified. Each position here has been filled by experts. They are all very positive and supportive to each other and to our schools ohana. Second, the principal (Mrs. Armstrong) is amazing! She is very thoughtful, caring, available, and always appreciative of the teachers. She is very fair and genuinely cares about her job. She puts an emphasis on professional development which I really like. The curriculum was a big draw for me. We are a International Baccalaureate school, which means that our curriculum is unit based integrating as many subjects as possible. We also pride ourselves on guided experience, global thinking, action, and instilling proper attitudes for international mindedness. Through this curriculum we hope to develop well rounded students who have the skills to take on whatever they choose. Last, the families are very involved. The school has provided many fun opportunities for the families of our school. The teachers here provide many after school activities which are free or of low cost.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 20, 2011

This school has incredibly strong leadership with wonderful teachers and a top notch principal. Academics follows the state regulation but each teacher adds her own special touch to challenge the kids. The parents are very involved which creates a healthy environment for all kids and there are several after school and extra curricular activities offered. And best of all the first IB elementary school in Oahu. They really encourage the IB program...truly a gem!

Posted September 26, 2010

We just moved here 2 months ago and we love the school. Great teachers, love the atmosphere, students are very well behaved, and our kids are so happy. With all the horrible things being said about Hawaii public schools, I am very satisfied with what our daughters are doing. Plus, lots to be involved in.

Posted August 2, 2010

My son completed Kindergarten here and enjoyed science experiments, field trips, and most of all he is excited each day about going to school and learning something new. Mrs. Mueller has been teaching for over 20 yrs and her style is very effective with the children - I highly recommend her as your first teacher to influence your child's mind.

Posted January 14, 2010

Iroquois Point Elementary School is a safe and loving environment. The students are well behaved and the staff sets a good example for the students. I have 3 boys at this school and they all love it. It is a great mixture of local children as well as military children. As a military family, we were so glad the school provided Hawaiian Studies. During these furlough Fridays our wonderful teachers voted to give up 2 teacher workdays. This shows the value these teachers place on our students education. My sons have had great opportunites for extra curricular activities. Golf,band, football,volleyball,and cubscouts just to name a few. My older son will graduate this year and will be well prepared for a private middle school. I highly recommend this school to any family moving to Hawaii. We chose to live off base in order to attend this school.

Posted September 10, 2009

I hae to say that the principal is so involved with the students and parents! The kindergarten ciriculum is wonderful!! Mrs. Kouchi is a wonderful teacher! She is passionate about her children and their learning. I love the daily homework journal that lets me know what he's learning each day at school. I have nothing but positive things to say about this school. If you are military, the only reason I would move to Ewa Beach(waterfront at Pu'uloa) would be to put your child into this school!!! It is one of the top schools in Hawaii. I will truly miss this school when we move!

Posted July 6, 2009

We are a military family and have heard devastating news about the public school systems in Hawaii, but our children attended IPES (K-3rd grade)and we/they absolutely loved it! Upon receipt of orders to depart, that was our major conern... finding a school that would be as good as this one in which our children would still enjoy. The administration sets their students up for success with the daily communcation log as well as parent teacher conference. There are lots of activities the students can get involved in and the school has an amazing PTA program that brings money back to the school and students. The care and attention our children received, I believe, were equivalent to that of a private school. Thank you IPES - we miss you already!

Posted March 2, 2009

The school provides lots of extracurricular activities for students after school. They have a band, cheerleading squad, a football (flag) team, and a basketball team. The teachers are friendly, and most go above and beyond what is expected of them. Kindergarten through fourth grade are the grades in which my children were in. I have been happy with their academics as well as personal help my boys have gotten from their teachers.

Posted January 26, 2009

The academics in the kindergarten are good, but the communication between the teacher and parent is unacceptable. My daughter is in the process of being tested for a learning disorder. She is unfocused and often disruptive during class. The teacher never writes anything in her daily communication folder about her behavior, which is what I need to give the doctor. I only find out about my daughter from another girl that is in her class. This should not happen.

Posted January 14, 2008

I am pleased with the outcome of my children attending Iroquois Point Elem. I am completely satisfied with the teachers that my children have, the community/parent envolvment, and the extra cirricular activities they offer here. My daughter is able to receive free math tutoring twice a week for 45 minutes a day. She enjoys it and her math skills have improved tremendously. I expressed how I was not happy with her school work performance and her teacher offered this after school tutorial within days. My children are always emphasizing how much they like this school and that means alot to me. Just knowing that they are happy as well as excelling makes me proud to have chosen this school.

Posted August 18, 2007

Both my children have really enjoyed this school.It is equivalent to a private school, and I beleive one of the very best in the area.The principal is friendly and approachable; bullying is not tolerated, and after school programs such as the band, which starts in grade 3 is great.The classrooms are airconditioned ( not true of some schools in the area).You have to enter the school through a gated community entrance: good for safety, but sometimes annoying to have to reapply for entrance stickers every 6 months, if you don't live within the community. Very supportive of military families.Lots of opportunities for parents who want to volunteer and get involved.

Posted March 11, 2007

Equivalent to a private school!! Iroquois Point Elementary school has a peaceful, respectful climate where academics come first. My daughter has severe dyslexia and her teachers have worked diligently with her to boost her self confidence, find her mentors with the same condition, and encourage her to succeed. The atmosphere at IPES is positive, inviting, and welcoming. It is truly a no tolerance school: no tolerance for racism, violence, disrespect, and bullying. I personally saw the principal pull out a boy to counsel him on bullying. Unbelievably POSITIVE EXPERIENCE!!! My daughter is in 6th grade and plays basketball, volleyball, and runs track. There is a great afterschool program and they offer tutoring!!!!

Posted September 12, 2005

My son attended IPES 1st-5th. Most teachers are dedicated and enthusiastic. IPES has a lot of school spirit and many after school activities. One of the best schools in the area.

Posted November 18, 2004

I am a former student of Iriquios Elementary and I just have to say that this was the best school that I have ever gone to. The teachers were great and I had alot of fun while I was at that school. Ecspecially my 1st grade teacher Mrs J. She was great. Mrs J always thought of creative ways of helping us learn aswell as the other great teachers. Iriquios always had a great disiplining system aswell as saftey. If my family and I didn't move there is no doubt in my mind that I would still be goig there.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 11, 2004

My children all attended Iroquois Point Elementary during the last three years -- between each of the kids we've covered grades K through 6. Although there are areas which could be improved, I think this is the best public school we've attended in Hawaii. The principal in particular is doing an excellent job. During the '03-'04 year the school switched to a new grading system (based on vague learning objectives rather than letter grades and percentages in subjects) which I hope is not going to be a permanent fixture -- I found the kids' report cards very confusing and one of my children was disappointed that they no longer hand out traditional honor roll awards. I agree with the reviewer above; the teachers are very fair and good with working with children of different backgrounds. I only wish the school were more involved with the (non-military) community.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2011.

n/a
Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2011.

n/a
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2011-2012 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2012.

110 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2012.

111 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 62% in 2012.

100 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2012.

100 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2012.

Asian 9% 35%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 42%N/A47%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5553 Cormorant Ave