PK-6 & Ungraded
Ewa Beach, HI

Posted March 09, 2015
I am very disappointed with this school s management. My son s teacher told him he could bring in a cake on his birthday and that they would have it during the morning session. When I signed in at the office that morning, cake in hand, I told the principal the name of the teacher I was bringing it to. She asked me who that teacher was. I was taken aback that she did not know the 6th grade teacher s name. The principal was rude and gave me a hard time, telling me to bring it back in the afternoon even though I told her I had to go to work. Later that day she called the classroom and yelled at my son over the phone about it and reprimanded him for storing the cake in the teacher s lounge. Fortunately, they did have a small celebration in the afternoon but the next day the principal called my son into her office and AGAIN YELLED at him about the cake incident. When he returned to his classroom in tears, his teacher didn t say a word. She let my son be unreasonably and wrongly punished. She neither stood up to the principal nor did she tell my son she was sorry about what happened. Also, the principal failed to inform me that she was calling my son into the office about it.
4 people found this helpful

Keoneula Elementary School 4

Posted May 04, 2014
Keoneula is a newer school in Ewa Beach. It has a beautiful campus, and the staff has been wonderful. There is an after school program run by an excellent director. My experience is with early elementary and our teachers have been great! My son placed high on his kindergarten assessment, so he received extra work throughout the year to challenge him. My daughter has selective mutism, a rare anxiety problem, and the school has worked with me. It was difficult at first because they did not know how to deal with it, but after several meetings and letters from her psychologist, we've developed a 504 Plan that works. (Although it took insistence on my end.) The staff has been accommodating in regards to my daughter's condition--allowing me to assist her with grabbing breakfast in the cafeteria. I also like that they have practice drills for school shootings-teaching the kids what to do and not to do. The negatives are that there are 2 counselors assigned to alt. grades. (i.e. Counselor 1: K, 2, 4, 6 Counselor 2: 1, 3, 5). I wish my daughter could have the same counselor for the entirety of elementary school. Also, parents aren't allowed in the cafeteria during breakfast.

Keoneula Elementary School 3

Posted April 17, 2014
It is a good school in general. I feel I have to be on top of things or my kids won't get to learn as much as they need to. This school has some awesome teachers and a couple of bad ones too. No PTA in this school. The Vice- Principal is really good.

Posted November 22, 2013
It's really sad that the beauty of this school on the outside does not match the beauty on the inside. The teachers are often scared of the P and therefore make choices that are not the best for the students. it is truly a scary place to work. Even the union is scared of this P and will not defend teachers against anything. It was hopeful that the VP would be an asset to the school instead she has become a puppet of the P. The school has spent an EXCESSIVE amount of $$ on IB but will never be an IB school because you have to keep staff in order to be IB accredited and over 15 teachers have left in the last year and a half. Find another place to take your children where the environment is not so negative. It's tragic and hopefully with the new surveys teachers, parents, and students can do on administration they will get a new staff in that front office!

Posted August 22, 2013
The school is not concerned with special needs that children have and is more interested in teaching the HSA test material than teaching the children what they need to know to progress in life. The safety of the children against bullying is not good either. Teachers and administration turn a blind eye to the issues. Parents and kids run the school and make it a place that hostile. Had to pull our children out of school because of the problems there. They need a new administration staff that is able to handle the issues of harassment and bullying appropriately and not micromanage the teachers to the point of hurting the education of the children. Horrible school!

Posted August 10, 2012
3rd grade great, 4th grade a total loss, and now 5th well... Last year we had a teacher for two months before she took th rest of the year off. Then 5 or 6 subs and no learning, lots of meetings with vice principal and subs and still very little learning. Very bright child now getting bad grades and HSA scores dropped each time. Begged VP to switch class for my child. No. Total loss of a year!!!!! Now we hoped we would get a great teacher after all that. New teacher doesnt speak English properly and gets confused when talking. Writing so sloppy cant read, disorganized, told me he forgot to collect hwk, poor time management and its only 2 week of school. Oh he loves science but doesnt do experiemts cause they cost him $ and time. I was not expecting a miracle but come on. We are now pulling our child and sending him to a private school. If you choose this school be aware! Good Luck and hope you get one of the few dedicated teachers that they do have cause if not your stuck! The VP and P dont care about what you feel is best for your child. Oh btw there is no PTA to work with.

Keoneula Elementary School 2

Posted April 27, 2012
The campus is well maintained and nice, but there is not enough parking to pick up and drop off your children. There are also no crossing guards at the two busy intersections by the school. I witnessed a child being hit by a car on the way to school one morning. The principal is never around. The students think that the vice principal is the principal. The staff is friendly but do not let that fool you. I have a child with Autism that the school will not seem to help. I have had to have several IEP meetings to try to help my child who now hates school and is acting out because he does not get what he needs. We have been to several schools in Hawaii which are worse than this one. I feel like this school would be fine for typically developing children, but do not count on much when it comes to special education.

Posted April 05, 2012
Just awful!!!! Total lack of involment from both staff & parents. Very little help for children with special needs. Very little communication from school to parents. There is so much staff up there, that i cant figure out what the do??? Their seems to be a revoling door of faculty as well. in three years my child had 5 teachers. Nice campus, but tall grass. The streets around the facility have no school zones, improper street signal lights, & no crossing guards. No parking for parents to pick up their children. I never see the principal ever. My child thinks the vice principal is who is in charge. Teachers are afraid to answer questions due to possible advers affects to there jobs. Its really sad. I hope changes will be made soon.

Posted September 15, 2011
The good: Clean facilities. Great looking Campus. Hard working vice principal. The Bad: Head Principal. I have seen her one timeout of her office in three years. She was rude when I saw her & greeted her with a hello. She chose to say nothing. The commmunication between school & parents could use a lot of work. The administration at this school seems to push away parent involment at this school. My child had a revolving door of two teachers when in 1st grade. One was a student at U of H that claimed she was a teacher when she was in fact a student teacher. Dont be fooled by the nice campus. This school needs work on working with the community & parents.

Keoneula Elementary School 2

Posted August 16, 2011
Let me begin with the good things about this school: The campus is beautiful and well maintained (I always see the maintenance staff working hard, they are awesome) with air conditioning in each classroom. There are some EXCELLENT teachers at this school. All that being said here is why this school fails miserably: For a lack of a better example the principal is a piece of you know what. There have been teachers with 10+ years of experience that have left because she creates a negative and micro managed environment such as prohibiting teachers from wearing jeans pants. Why? Who knows. Teacher turn over is a big contributor to failing standards. If one of your children have a problem don't expect her to help you in a timely manner or with respect. Once in a while you will see her waiving on morning drop off traffic to show face when she should be concerning her self with more important matters. When you inherit a brand new school anyone should expect much more. There are lots of principals that turn old schools into a thriving one. Hopefully DOE offers early retirement and someone younger with a refreshing outlook can bring this school up to the level it should be at!!

Keoneula Elementary School
91970 Kaileolea Dr, Ewa Beach, HI  96706
Last modified Keoneula Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Keoneula Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top