7-8 & Ungraded
Hilo, HI

Posted May 07, 2013
My daughter is a present 7th grader at Hilo Inter. Sch. I am a very pleased parent with this school. All her teachers has been very communicative w/me on ALL subjects. She started off rocky at the school, but is proof that she was able to bring up those grades within a minimal length of time, but it's all credited to her TEACHERS, HERSELF, and my role as her parent. She goes in during ALL her recesses to which ever subject that is priority for her to achieve a better grade. As a single parent, I play an active role on being in constant communication w/her teachers via phone, email, etc. regarding her progress in their classes, I support/encourage/guide my daughter on what is of importance for her! It's my knowledge that Intermediate years can be challenging for the kids but it'll also show how much they want to learn/retain what their learning. I was afraid for her this school year and how she'd perform in her classes, well she proved me wrong. She's been recognized/appreciated by her teachers/fellow students on all her accomplishments/failures. My daughter LOVES her school/teachers/classmates/retains what is being taught, as a parent, this makes me content. Mahalo H.I.S.

Posted May 25, 2010
My daughter just completed 7th grade at Hilo Inter. She came from a high-achieving "distinguished" elementary school that put a lot of pressure on kids to pass the HSA testing. She is much happier at Hilo Inter. She is getting straight A's and she is recognized and appreciated by her teachers. Her teachers are all friendly and relaxed while still maintaining high expectations. She has several choices in curriculum: art, music, band, leadership training, health, PE, along with the standard english, math, social studies and science... School isn't just about math and english which I find relieving. There are 3 levels of classes: ramp-up for students that need a boost, regular ed (which my daughter was in this year), and GT (gifted and talented) which my daughter will be in next year. I don't agree w/the uniforms but, overall, I am very pleased with HIS thus far.

Hilo Intermediate School 2

Posted October 02, 2008

Hilo Intermediate School 0

Posted September 09, 2008
More than half the kids at this school are in ramp up classes. The school only seems to cater and help those in ramp up. However, children who are not in ramp up are not being challenged. My son is not in ramp up and has barely had any homework since the first day of school. He brought home his mid quarter report and received all B's. I am worried about my son and I feel that he is not getting an education that he deserves. I am disappointed in Hilo Intermediate School!!

Posted March 26, 2008
My teen also attends Hilo Intermediate and he has tried and is trying so hard to get his grades up, no thanks to scheduling meetings with his counsler and teachers they are not on the same page as far as getting him to learn what he is having problems with he has given up his recess and lunch hour to to and get help but they are not helping him only giving him stress and breaking his spirit in school he wants to change schools and is very sad there,

Posted March 11, 2008
I have two children that attend this school and both received bad mid-quarter grades but I was not informed of this until they brought home the reports. The school faculty lacks communication with the parents and counselors. With all the communication devices today (cell phone, e-mail and internet.) there is no reason for not communicating with the parents. I am very disappointed with this school.

Posted May 31, 2007

Posted October 15, 2006
I have 2 kids in Hilo intermediate and I personally don't think they do enough to encourage there students to be all that they can be. They also have a poor habit of informing parents of there kids failing. I did not know my child was getting all d and f grades until I was called when the quarter ended which by then was to late to help my child out. [I'm] ready to just home school my kids because I don't feel the staff care enough. Thank you.

Hilo Intermediate School 3

Posted May 24, 2006
Hilo Intermediate is currently lacking in middle school curriculum. The students that pass their tests are allowed to do either a band or art class. If the student is a poor test taker or has some learning disabilities then they are given double english and math classes according to their scores. Middle school education should be about keeping active minds moving in a positive way. Currently I don't feel HIS is doing that. Yes, they have a wonderful band program and the majority of the teachers are caring. I feel the school needs more opportunities for hands on learning experiences. Parent participation is low at best. Security and discipline have improved over the years. My first child went to this school but my second will not be going here for the above reasons.

Hilo Intermediate School 4

Posted March 29, 2006
As of the 2005-2006 school year, Hilo Intermediate provides more than sufficient academic quality and extra-curricular activities. We've had two children go to this school, and can say that most of the teachers were genuinly concerned about their learning and did more than expected. Our children love being in band class! And a couple of brave teachers volunteered their time to set up a robotics program. Track and other sports activities are offered as well as clubs. The security personnel are unbelievably on their toes! They are cheerful and extremely helpful! Mahalo to HIS! You're the best in our eyes!

Hilo Intermediate School
587 Waianuenue Ave, Hilo, HI  96720
Last modified Hilo Intermediate School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hilo Intermediate School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top