Kaumana Elementary School

Public | PK-6 & ungraded

Posted December 11, 2009

As of today- the school has a permanent principal, and excellent teachers- both new and returning. I love that the school is so small. Basically two classes for each grade. Such a small school- excellent for my painfully shy son. He just started Kinder in Room A-2, and he loves it there!

Posted June 8, 2009

I hope this school gets a permanent principal and gets back to being organized. I was a little disappointed with the school this year. Too many people leaving! Classes are getting too large for lack of teachers! Otherwise the peolple who are there are doing their best with what they have and I give them credit for that!

Posted June 5, 2009

This school lost its principal, vice principal and many teachers last school year. I am very disappointed in the school this year and have been trying to get my daughter into another school since December. No organization. They still don't have a permanent principal. They have had three or four different people coming to fill in. Its awful.

Posted July 10, 2008

This is a school that cares for each and every child attending.

Posted July 5, 2008

I have been a teacher aat Kaumana Elementary School for over 30 years. We have a solid foundation, dedicated teachers, supportive administrators and office staff and wonderful students.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 28, 2008

I love the small class sizes and the congenial atmosphere on campus. The staff is welcoming and professional. The faculty is resourceful and forward-thinking. My child is very happy here and so are e.

Posted March 2, 2007

I'm a parent of a kindergartner at Kaumana Elementary & I didn't know what to expect, since this was my first schooling experience with my son, as well as his.My son and I are extremely happy with his principal,teachers & all the many grandparents,parents and different family members that make up this very successful and proud school. I don't recall learning half the things my son continues to learn at Kaumana Elementary. The school has family reading nights,book of the month,and a awesome Voyager reading program. It really is comforting to know that the staff is there to help guide my child in the right direction along with communicating with me as how I can be an active roll in my sons achievements. I'm so grateful for everyone and we are gonna be sad (beyond words) when we move in July. Thank you staff of Kaumana Elementary

Posted February 18, 2007

I have a 4th grader in Ms. Nakamura class. We have attended Kaumana for 3yrs now. The school has great teachers and an exceptional admin. dept. With great leadership from principle to teacher they have shown our family a new way to look at our public schools. Great academic programs such as their Voyager reading & Vmath programs installed, has shown that extra step in caring for they're students. They offer after school Track & Basketball sports activities, which they take very seriously. Recently added, an award winning, Youth Robotics Club. Atmosphere is like attending a private school in a outer city environment. I can honestly say,if not for the parent involvement in the class room, on the sports court, with the students on and off campus, their time and effort in fundraising Kaumana Elementary School would not ranked,with me a 5 Star School.

Posted June 2, 2005

Excellent School! I would recommended to anyone. My son's Teacher, Mrs. Kurokawa is a great teacher.

Posted December 13, 2004

I come from New York and San Diego. I am very impressed with the education my kindergartener is getting here. She has homework every night, and the curriculum tires me out! My daughter just loves her school and teacher, and most of all loves to learn. I couldn't ask for a better learning environment, and she has learned more in one 1/2 year of kindergarten than I learned in my first two years of elementary school. No child will be left behind in this school. Everyone looks out for everyone else and knows everyone so I don't worry about my daughter at all. It has a small close knit family atmosphere, and most of all it looks over beautiful Hilo Bay!

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2011.

n/a
Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2011.

n/a
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math, and grade 10 in biology. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2013.

33 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 12% 34%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 63%N/A49%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1710 Kaumana Dr