Bad
Good

My child broke her hand during PE. The teacher sent her back on the field because it didn't look bad. She called me in tears after class from the pain and didn't know what to do. I told her to go to the nurse picked her up and took her to the hospital. The next class the teacher laughed at her forced her to sit out and gave her F's for non participation. The teacher and admin supported my kid being forced on a treadmill at target heart rate for 5 hours (of missed class) before school to make up the time. The teachers are not qualified to set any curriculum/grade based on the heart. My kid was an athlete and couldn't meet the target rate(too healthy). Imagine the torture of running and running to get a heart rate set too high for you.

I am a student at Moanalua High School and compared to all the other public schools on the island, I can truly say that MoHS is one of the best. Yes, some teachers may not be the best, and there may be a few students who may not be as friendly as other, but hey! What school doesn't have these problems? It's all perspective. But as far as I'm concerned, our school has great facilities and resources available to students. We have a great media and music program, as well as athletics. I don't think the school should be blamed for students not having friends or other aspects they can't control. Moanalua is a very safe campus. If you try visiting other campuses on the island and looking at their statistics of academic achievement and students who go onto highschool, you would see the difference.

I attended this school and graduated from it 2 years ago and now I work with some of the children who still attend it. This school is awful, we local children from different areas of the island more or less always have the same moral standing and ideal but the military children who attend this school cause conflict among them and influence many of the local children to do things they wouldn't normally do. I have seen many children who I've worked with since elementary in tutoring go bad because of their military "friends" influencing them into doing things that affect them in an extremely bad way.

MHS isn't a good school. There is a lot of discrimination. The school is overcrowded. The administration is uninterested. My son didn't have much support when it came to applying to colleges. The college meeting actually spoke about the best way for Asian students to get into college with nothing said for the military kids. The guest speakers were MHS alumni who spent 2 hours complaining about mainlanders. My sons workload was more than doubled but the amount he learned decreased. The school was all about work and really lacked good teaching except in the English Department. The teachers are burned out from the overcrowding and spent way too much time complaining about their pay. I guess its the best public high school in Hawaii but I was completely disappointed and felt my son received a low quality education while he attended.

Moving to this school was one of the best decisions. I learned so much more then i had in my previous school and one of the main reasons is the music department here.

My daughter success story started in Moanalua Middle school. There is a tradition of involvement of the MoHS high schoolers with the education of the upcoming ones...a form of brotherhood that instills pride and trust. The music program is by far the greatest contributor to the excellence of this HS. Mr. Seta et al are the best role models you can expect as a parent. They have taught music, discipline, perseverance and many other valuable life lessons to my daughter. I am always amazed at the open and friendly atmosphere between students. You don't hear about bullying or ridiculing. Kids are always busy keeping up with the challenging academics or the many activities offered. My daughter has flourished in this great school. Teachers and counselors are completely involved and they involve the parents plenty as well. They don't wait until grades drop too much to send you a message. They know your child and don't hesitate to communicate with you at the smallest early sign of performance drop. I love the Menes and intend to support them in any way possible.

Ever since i started attending Moanalua, I've found this school to be one of the best not only because of the faculty and students, but what's taught. In our marching band program, our director Mr. Seta teaches not only how to be a great musician but also teaches us life lessons such as our music department motto P.R.I.D.E. which stands for perseverance, respect, integrity, discipline and excellence. As we learn to behave like so, it rubs off onto the student body, improving us as a whole and making Moanalua a better school.

MOHS has been the #1 HS on this island 20+ years. My senior year in 1980: The Economics teacher won National Teacher of the Year, my Oceanography teacher newly introduced the first DOE approved HS ocean science class that year, won the State teacher of the year. MOHS constantly has teaching faculty that is creative and sometimes too far ahead for the DOE's requirements. This school can be really hard for kids to keep up at. Children that are suffering from family problems such as poor self-seteem, turmoil, bad parenting and isolative emotional depression aren't ridiculed or shuffled out of the equation, and military kids have always been a big part of MOHS. Families that lived here 20 years ago continue to breathe life into this once very tiny school with their children now in attendance to insure its integrity as a cornerstone unto itself. My daughter also attends MOHS.

Moanalua is an outstanding school consistantly winning awards in academics, music, athletics,etc. While I agree there are racial cliques and local vs. non-local tensions, can you expect anything less in an ethnically diverse environment? My daughter is 'local', of asian and hawaiian ancestry, and has many 'non-local' friends, many of whom are military dependants. She does not discriminate because we have never taught her to do so. However, she acknowledges the presence of racial tension and credits it to ignorance and intolerance on both sides. If you are a 'mainlander' or 'military', tips to assimilating: *Respect the culture and cultural diversity *Understand the history of the islands and be sensitive to the fact that the military/haoles have not always been a welcome presence for Hawaiians (not unlike the Native American Indians). *Do not stop trying to make friends -Ignorance is everywhere...do not become part of the problem. Be part of the solution!

Last modified Moanalua High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.