Makalapa Elementary School

Public | PK-6 & ungraded

Posted February 18, 2013

This School is Very good. But it has downsides. 1 being that the classrooms are smashed together. Also, being a resident of Hawaii i know we don't have air conditioning. But This is a school I think it should need to have something in the budget for air conditioning in the other rooms besides the office.

Posted April 11, 2012

This is a great school. Three of my four boys went here and they loved it. The teachers are very caring and will communicate with you constantly. I still keep in touch with some of them now even though we no longer live in Hawaii. I wish all teachers wanted to see kids succeed in life like these teachers do.

Posted March 12, 2011

I have 4 kids my oldest child went to this school since grade k till the 6th grade but now in intermediate. He still often goes by to visit his teachers. My other 3 kids are still attending this school and they love it!! I myself has attended this school since 1st grade.The teachers here treat each student equally. They focus on your childs weak points and help them out 1 on 1. During the furloughs Makalapa has started a program with permission and choice from parents with an afterschool program where students stay in an extra hour or so of learning since fridays have no school. I was shocked that the teachers involved in this program was doing it from their own time and not because they were required to do it. Which I appreciate deeply! Thats how dedicated the teachers are in this school. Even without the program before the program even started teachers would stay after with students who needed help with work or with students who needed to catch up with work. Which i really love! With great teachers the school is a clean enviroment.The principal,teachers,office and cafeteria staffs,including the janitors are VERY friendly!Overall the best school for your child or children.

Posted February 24, 2011

Great school. Well rounded curriculum. Nice facilities. Friendly staff. Only issue is that parents need to be more involved in their children's education- it shouldn't just be left up to the school.

Posted March 20, 2010

Teachers have been so very helpful in promoting important life learning academic skills & a rewarding approach to promote positive learning for my two boys.

Posted January 5, 2010

Best school with the best teachers. My daughter went there K-6 and every teacher was very caring and was always there for my child. I highly recommend it.

Posted July 22, 2009

I love this school! The teachers are great with the kids, and the administration is so helpful. The campus is beautifully kept. My daughter is having a great time and I couldn't be happier.

Posted August 17, 2008

Makalapa is a very good school, so long as you as a parent are very involved with your childs education.

Posted August 6, 2008

Parents beware! I moved to get out of sending my kids to another year of school here! There is horrible racial issues here. Their aren't separate classrooms, you have like 4 different classes in the same large room only separated by bookshelves. The teachers are horrible also. Don't send your kids here!

Posted January 24, 2008

I have 3 children currently attending this school. They all seem to be happy with there teachers. I especially enjoy how the teachers try and focus on my childrens strong points and push them to do their best. On the other hand the classroom setup is a total negative. How can the children concentrate when there are 3 other classrooms right around them.

Posted September 13, 2007

Every child's success in school depends on parental involvement. Whenever I approach the principal or staff for help, they have been cooperative and quick to respond favorably. I've noticed an increase in parental involvement this school year.

Posted October 14, 2006

My family experience with Makalapa was a totally nightmare. I would never recommend this school. I home school now and it is great. I am a long time resident of Hawaii and am stunned with our public school system. A big waste of taxpayers dollars. No encouragement for parents to get envolved.

Posted July 28, 2006

My daughter has been in Makalapa since Kinder and now for these school year she will be 6th Grade and never I had a problem that the staff of Makalapa had not solve I am always been satisfied over all with Makalapa from the principal down to the maintenance staff. my hands are for them.

Posted May 6, 2006

My son is in 3rd grade and he does not read well , I told the school he need more help so his teacher tell's him ' just write each word 5 time each ' when I asked my son what the word's are he said ' I don't know , I just have to write them ' I'm sorry , but I think it would help if they new what they where doing . He couldn't even tell me one of his spelling words . When my son was getting hit every day from some boy , the principal did nothing for 2 months . I would give them an F.

Posted February 11, 2006

This school is absolutely a dreadful dump. I am very unhappy with the quality of the teachers, resources and overall curriculum. This is a terrible place for children. Many concerns for health and safety. It takes screaming to get minimal tasks to be initiated. Parking/Pick-up is a total nightmare and paying for bus services for public schools is a total joke. Children are behind on normal education levels. Holidays for Asian beliefs are taught and neglect normal events for AMERICAN Children. Worst of all, I don't think it's better at any other school on the island. Teachers and staff are hard to understand and do not teach proper english. Extremely fusterating to have conversations with ANY staff I've met. I can only imagine how students feel. I'd suggest to anyone who can homeschool, they truly should!

Posted December 23, 2005

My son's teacher seems to not like her job and was not open to give him help when he needed. Very little communication between class and home.His 6th grade teacher was much better at making a conection with my son.

Posted January 27, 2005

I attend Makalapa Elementry it is a very nice learning enviorment. It is my first year there and I've learned so much already. I highly reccomend this school.
—Submitted by a student

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2011.

n/a
Reading

The state average for Reading was 64% in 2011.

n/a
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Hawaii used the Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in reading and math, and grade 10 in biology. The HSA is a standards-based test that measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Hawaii. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 74% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 29% 34%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 51%N/A49%

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4435 Salt Lake Blvd