Posted November 24, 2012
We have been involved with Shafter for 5 years and I have so much awesome things to say about the staff at the school. The teachers are easily accessible and sincerely care about my kids. I am blessed with the staff and can not say one bad thing about them. They work closely with the kids with a passion rather than "just a job" and it hows. Its as if my kids go to a private school though its a public school. If I had any concerns they were address right away. Im not sure about the person who posted a rating earlier -- but I love this school and I only wish it went to a higher grade than 6th. I will be looking for a private school after my son finishes 6th grade. I am in awe of Shafter and would and do tell everyone how great they are. Thank you to the staff at Shafter who are very personable!

Posted November 20, 2012
Pick up/drop off is very important because kids are running around everywhere and pushing each other into the street! That is a HUGE concern! The principal avoids all issues and I guess only helps out with the special needs children, which is good because the students are getting beat up being in the same class as special ed kids. They'll be working on classwork and get a book thrown at their head from a "special needs student" because they are in the same classroom as everyone else. My kids used to love school until they came here.

Posted May 07, 2012
There are more important things to worry about with your kids going to school then whether or not you have to park your car when dropping your kids off (in reference to another parent's comment). I'm grateful for the MPs who stand out in front of the school as I certainly feel my kid is safer for it. The teachers and staff are extremely caring and professional. My son is a first grader with special needs and his teacher couldn't be more incredible! The principle, Ms. Martin, is outstanding, as is the entire office staff!

Posted January 18, 2012
Great curriculum! Our son made an easy academic transition to TX schools. Not sure why the parent who wrote the most recent reviews was not happy with the curriculum. Our son attended Shafter Elementary from 2007 - 2010. He made the equivalent of As and Bs in all subjects during his time at Shafter Elementary. He transitioned to the Fort Sam Houston Elementary in 2010 and made straight As as a 4th grader. He changed schools again this year to a highly rated public school in San Antonio and is making straight As as a 5th grader. The curriculum at Shafter Elementary (while he attended) was every bit as good as the curriculum at Hardy Oak Elementary (which he now attends) and much better than the curriculum at Fort Sam Houston Elementary. I cannot imagine there being a significant decline in such a short amount of time. All of my friends who have PCSd from Fort Shafter have also said their children made easy transitions to mainland schools.

Posted January 18, 2012
The school got a new principal since 2010 and 5 times more students due to tons of new housing. That is why 2011 and 2012 reviews aren't the same as 2010- a lot has changed in a very short time!

Posted January 17, 2012
Pick up drop off is coordinated by an MP that will give tickets if you are not parked in a stall. There are no stalls to park in by the way- which leads to many tickets! The principal should be outside putting kids in the car and keeping the line moving. There should be no parked cars or MP's! The teachers just stand out there sleeping while people are getting tickets for picking up their kids! This is horrible- combined with a terrible curriculum- I wish we stayed at MoanaLua elementry!!

Posted November 16, 2010
This school is great! It was a smooth transition for both my children. The staff is very involved and my children are motivated and happy. I highly recommend this school!

Posted April 29, 2010
Shafter elementary is an awesome school. What makes thw school is the staff that they have. .. all the staff are friendly and my son is not lost in the crowd- the school is small (less than 200 students) but ALIVE with many activities throughout the school year. My son loves scool because of this environment! !! The staff are always available and are top notch in teaching! !!

Major General William R Shafter Elementary School 0

Posted March 25, 2010
I came from Germany and this school helped me very much by getting used to the new country. By having great teachers and staff.

Posted July 30, 2008
Bad school...This school has a very bad curriculum. She is doing work that she did in school (in texas) the year before. I feel like my daughter has lost a year.

Major General William R Shafter Elementary School
2 Fort Shafter, Honolulu, HI  96819
Last modified Major General William R Shafter Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Major General William R Shafter Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top